Sony MDR-7506 or Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Slow N Stupid

There is no right or wrong here. Having both in front of me, the MDR is closer to the Grado SR60 which is a light, fast, headphone which puts the music right inside your skull, takes little effort to drive. By Comparison, the the DT is an Ocean liner coming into dock. Wide open, distant, you feel like you are at the back of the audience.

My overall favorite headphone is the 1700 Ohm Sennheiser HD480-ii an open lightweight pair, lacking bass with a loose headband, And spot on with a new tight one, though that makes them uncomfortable. 

On my mobile phone, the MDR and SR-60 are an easy load to drive. With a powerful, high voltage amp the Sennheisers walk away with it. The DT works well enough with both, but is large and heavier, but then I'm not a fan of clostrophobic headphones. For a classical concert, few will fail to be impressed by the DT as they produce fabulous quiet passages. The others, all bring the music closer at the expense of dynamics (they feel compressed by comparison).

So I will conclude where I started. It is all subjective. Buy what you like, and listen to what has to sound good to be worth the expense. You can buy cheaper, maybe three pairs. 

snip

If I'm not too late here, just wanted to add my input.  The Sony MDR 7506 are primarily designed to be used as studio monitor headphones, so they may not be the best suitable for listening to music for entertainment.  They are designed for monitoring the sound quality during audio recordings.

Sony_MDR-7506_30236247_05.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If I'm not too late here, just wanted to add my input. The Sony MDR 7506 are primarily designed to be used as studio monitor headphones, so they may not be the best suitable for listening to music for entertainment. They are designed for monitoring the sound quality during audio recordings.

There is no right or wrong here. Having both in front of me, the MDR is closer to the Grado SR60 which is a light, fast, headphone which puts the music right inside your skull, takes little effort to drive. By Comparison, the the DT is an Ocean liner coming into dock. Wide open, distant, you feel like you are at the back of the audience.

My overall favorite headphone is the 1700 Ohm Sennheiser HD480-ii an open lightweight pair, lacking bass with a loose headband, And spot on with a new tight one, though that makes them uncomfortable.

On my mobile phone, the MDR and SR-60 are an easy load to drive. With a powerful, high voltage amp the Sennheisers walk away with it. The DT works well enough with both, but is large and heavier, but then I'm not a fan of clostrophobic headphones. For a classical concert, few will fail to be impressed by the DT as they produce fabulous quiet passages. The others, all bring the music closer at the expense of dynamics (they feel compressed by comparison).

So I will conclude where I started. It is all subjective. Buy what you like, and listen to what has to sound good to be worth the expense. You can buy cheaper, maybe three pairs.

Thread necro!