How to choose Linux

All this hatred for Unity...is it unmanly or something to want a UI that looks nice and works?

I'm a Linux noob who only started messing with Linux two months ago. I tried Ubuntu for the first time 3 weeks ago, and replaced it with Kubuntu within a couple of days because I didn't like Unity and that side panel.

Maybe if I gave it more time i would have warmed to it I dunno.... maybe it's just my subconcious being resistant to change.

I'm a Linux noob who only started messing with Linux two months ago. I tried Ubuntu for the first time 3 weeks ago, and replaced it with Kubuntu within a couple of days because I didn't like Unity and that side panel.

Maybe if I gave it more time i would have warmed to it I dunno.... maybe it's just my subconcious being resistant to change.

Can't you change the side panel's position and make it autohide? 

I don't know, KDE just never appealed to me. I mean it's obviously very functional it just looks old.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

lol. this thread perfectly encapsulates one of the problems which has prevented Linux becoming popular on the desktop the way it has on server and mobile.

The OP asked a straightforward question but he could not get a simple answer. He got a host of opinions.

Xubuntu is the closest Linux version to Windows IMO.

http://xubuntu.org/

What about Zorin OS? It's meant to look a lot like Windows, thus making it easier for long time Windows users to get used to...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

1. Drool at DistroWatch for hours on end.

2. Calculate which distro made you drool the most.

3. Download and install it.

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /