PSU prices?

zapashark

Hey guys, I was just shopping for PSUs, and I saw that the CX750M is way less than the HX750 even though the connectors are so similar (a 24 pin, an EPS, and 4 6+2s)?

Where are you from and buying from? Are you looking for a huge warranty or a million watts? :P

I'm seeing about a $60 difference for me; the HX also has a lot more modular cables and also has a 80Gold rating.. not that it's worth that much...

You'll be surprised how advanced the circuitry of power supplies are, converting the 120/240v AC power from the mains to a clean, DC current of 3.3v, 5v and 12v is not an easy, nor is it a cheap task. There's a lot of variances with power supplies and higher-end units do use more advanced circuity, higher quality components and such to achieve cleaner power and better longevity.

Is it worth the extra longevity? That's debatable, the CX750 is a good unit in it's own respect and it should suffice. However, the HX may last longer and be more reliable, so there's is a reason why it costs more.

You'll be surprised how advanced the circuitry of power supplies are, converting the 120/240v AC power from the mains to a clean, DC current of 3.3v, 5v and 12v is not an easy, nor is it a cheap task. There's a lot of variances with power supplies and higher-end units do use more advanced circuity, higher quality components and such to achieve cleaner power and better longevity.

Is it worth the extra longevity? That's debatable, the CX750 is a good unit in it's own respect and it should suffice. However, the HX may last longer and be more reliable, so there's is a reason why it costs more.

I thought the CX series power supplies were cheaper because they did not have as much overhead as Corsair's other linups. I think some of them actually meet the ATX specifications running 100 watts above their recommended maximum.

That may be part of the reason, but there's probably a bit more to it. Generally speaking wattage overhead isn't that important as you shouldn't be running the unit at 100% load anyways, it's more of things like voltage regulation and ripple suppression, along with the quality of the components that's more important, contributing to the overall reliability of the unit.

Though most decent power supplies do meet the ATX specifications, I've seen very few units (excluding generic ones) that don't.