successor for mx518

Stelio
Go to solution Solved by jmaster299,

I still have my old MX518, works perfectly so I'm keeping it as a back up. It worked so well that over that last 8+ years that I used it I could never bring myself to spend money on a new mouse. But that all changed the first time I saw the G502. It was a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" moment for me. Having used a Mx518 for so long, like you did, I can strongly recommend the G502 as an excellent replacement.

The G402 on the other hand, I was very underwhelmed by the reviews I've seen. It only has 1 less button than the G502, so the "I don't want so many buttons" reasoning does not really apply. They took away the "I'm not going to use it in a game anyways" default DPI cycling button and you instead have to used one of the side buttons for that function if you still want. The 402 also has less functionality since you have no tilt wheel, no free spin mode and no custom weight system.

lso, one last thing you won't see in G502 reviews, but the update to the Logitech Gaming software gives the G502 the same added control over the LED lighting that you will see in G402 reviews. Something that doesn't get mentioned in those reviews is the fact that those changes make it so the lighting is not as bright, even on the highest setting. The bright lighting that you could only switch from on to off was a complaint some people had with the G502, but that's been fixed.

Now that my 7 year old Logitech mx518 is starting to die, I need a new mouse. 

My needs: 

- minimum 5 extra buttons(8 total with lm, rm and scroll) which are re-programmable

- size comparable to my mx 518

- not stupid ugly

- budget €50 - €80 max

- available for shipping to Belgium

Possible mouses

- Logitech g402

- Logitech g502 (is this one the extra price worth?)

- Corsair K65

My preference goes to the g402. This one looks like it might be perfect for me.

(my mouse hasn't died yet so if say like in a month there's a new mouse that would be perfect I can wait)

G502 and G402 are pretty much direct descendants from the MX518, soooo....

Can't really go wrong there if you don't mind the different look.

If you just want a newer MX518 just get a G400s while they're still available

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

G402 is fine if you don't need the extra buttons, tilt wheel and weight of G502.

I still have my old MX518, works perfectly so I'm keeping it as a back up. It worked so well that over that last 8+ years that I used it I could never bring myself to spend money on a new mouse. But that all changed the first time I saw the G502. It was a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" moment for me. Having used a Mx518 for so long, like you did, I can strongly recommend the G502 as an excellent replacement.

The G402 on the other hand, I was very underwhelmed by the reviews I've seen. It only has 1 less button than the G502, so the "I don't want so many buttons" reasoning does not really apply. They took away the "I'm not going to use it in a game anyways" default DPI cycling button and you instead have to used one of the side buttons for that function if you still want. The 402 also has less functionality since you have no tilt wheel, no free spin mode and no custom weight system.

lso, one last thing you won't see in G502 reviews, but the update to the Logitech Gaming software gives the G502 the same added control over the LED lighting that you will see in G402 reviews. Something that doesn't get mentioned in those reviews is the fact that those changes make it so the lighting is not as bright, even on the highest setting. The bright lighting that you could only switch from on to off was a complaint some people had with the G502, but that's been fixed.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

G502 and G402 are pretty much direct descendants from the MX518, soooo....

Can't really go wrong there if you don't mind the different look.

If you just want a newer MX518 just get a G400s while they're still available

I've looked at the g400s and that thing looks exactly like my mx518 but with a bad paint job (not that the mx518 really a looker is). 

I actually prefer the different look of the g402/g502. 

Are all the buttons of the g502 re-programmable? I always used the sensitivity buttons on the mx518 for macro's.

I'm leaning towards the g502 now. How is the scrolling wheel off the g502 and what is that free spin mode and tilt wheel?

Thnx for all responces!

I've looked at the g400s and that thing looks exactly like my mx518 but with a bad paint job (not that the mx518 really a looker is). 

Are all the buttons of the g502 re-programmable? I always used the sensitivity buttons on the mx518 for macro's.

I'm leaning towards the g502 now. How is the scrolling wheel off the g502 and what is that free spin mode and tilt wheel?

Thnx for all responces!

I know they're all reprogrammable, but i don't know about the scroll wheel. Try watching some videos on it, as they scroll in a video you should be able to get a good idea of what it's going to be like.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Thnx for all responces!

All the buttons can be programed to whatever you want, including macros. The only exception is the lock button for the mouse wheel. The "free spin" mode I mentioned is when you press that button and it unlocks the mouse wheel so it can spin super fast. It otherwise functions like normal, but if you have to scroll through something that's extremely long, you can unlock the mouse wheel to make it scroll super fast.

The tilt wheel function is something a lot of mice offer. In addition to a center click for the mouse wheel, there is a left and right click as well. You press the wheel and "tilt" it to the left or right. On a web page or excel document this will give you a left or right scroll function. But just like everything else, they can be reprogrammed to whatever you want. So while the scroll wheel is still one button, you can press that button 3 different ways to perform 3 different actions.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

All the buttons can be programed to whatever you want, including macros. The only exception is the lock button for the mouse wheel. The "free spin" mode I mentioned is when you press that button and it unlocks the mouse wheel so it can spin super fast. It otherwise functions like normal, but if you have to scroll through something that's extremely long, you can unlock the mouse wheel to make it scroll super fast.

The tilt wheel function is something a lot of mice offer. In addition to a center click for the mouse wheel, there is a left and right click as well. You press the wheel and "tilt" it to the left or right. On a web page or excel document this will give you a left or right scroll function. But just like everything else, they can be reprogrammed to whatever you want. So while the scroll wheel is still one button, you can press that button 3 different ways to perform 3 different actions.

Just watched linus' vid about the g502 and I would like to ask you one more thing :P. Linus is saying the scroll wheel is heavy to turn and slippery because it's metal. What is your opinion on this? Do you get used to it?

Edit: going to bed now. Will check this thread tomorrow.

Just watched linus' vid about the g502 and I would like to ask you one more thing :P. Linus is saying the scroll wheel is heavy to turn and slippery because it's metal. What is your opinion on this? Do you get used to it?

Edit: going to bed now. Will check this thread tomorrow.

It took me about a week to get used to the mouse wheel. After that it feels perfectly natural. It has to do with how the mouse wheel works in two different modes. Its a little tighter than your average mouse wheel because you can unlock it for a free spin mode that other mice don't have. 

The only thing I would have changed with it is to coat it in something so the surface of the wheel was less smooth. But like I said, I got used to it after about a week and don't even notice it any more.

Today I ordered the g502 and got a free logitech powershell with it, if I can sell that for at least 20€ the g502 is cheaper then the g402 :P

The mouse should be here by tommorow

Today I ordered the g502 and got a free logitech powershell with it, if I can sell that for at least 20€ the g502 is cheaper then the g402 :P

The mouse should be here by tommorow

That's actually a really good deal.

Got my mouse and I've been using it for about 1 hour and here are my thoughts:

- Form feels very similar to mx518 and takes little time to get used to.

- The different button layout is OK, but i'm sure in a week i'll get used to it. 

- Scroll wheel is good, I don't mind the metal, it scrolls just fine without slipping for me. 

- The textured side is VERY nice compared to the mx518

All in all, i'm happy with my purchase. Now only to sell the Powerschell :P

Thanks for all the help and especially thanks to jmaster299!