Would a 1m NZXT LED strip be long enough?

79wjd

Would a 1m LED strip be enough for an H440, or should I get the 2m one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812170028

Or, should I consider something else instead altogether? I'm looking for white LEDs 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Those LED strips suck. They are cheap crap. Get the NZXT Hue, much higher quality and better lighting. It also comes with 2m RGB LED strip.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

maybe get 2

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Having the LED strips coming from a Expansion slot bracket would seem pretty ugly. That seems like a bad design to me. Or is there something I'm missing? Isn't there some LED strips that simply end in a nice molex or SATA connector?

Edit: Turns out I am missing something. The package includes an adapter to plug it in straight into a Molex plug. However it seems like they will run full brightness.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Those LED strips suck. They are cheap crap. Get the NZXT Hue, much higher quality and better lighting. It also comes with 2m RGB LED strip.

I heard the white on the Hue (and RGB in general) sucks. I also don't really need or want the controller from the Hue. I just want some white LEDs. 

Having the LED strips coming from a Expansion slot bracket would seem pretty ugly. That seems like a bad design to me. Or is there something I'm missing? Isn't there some LED strips that simply end in a nice molex or SATA connector?

Edit: Turns out I am missing something. The package includes an adapter to plug it in straight into a Molex plug. However it seems like they will run full brightness.

My plan was to throw the controller underneath the psu cover area. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Would a 1m LED strip be enough for an H440, or should I get the 2m one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812170028

Or, should I consider something else instead altogether? I'm looking for white LEDs 

I Second this.  HUE is very good.

hope the do an more advanced model in the future.  more control and customizable lighting effects would be nice.

Those LED strips suck. 

btw, why do they suck?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

btw, why do they suck?

The electronics they used are really cheap. I tried them and the LEDs started blinking after a couple months because the switch is crap. Just toughing the switch would make the LEDs change brightness randomly. The strip is also very hard to position because it is not flat, so its almost impossible to get the LEDs facing the right direction. I tried two of these strips then decided to buy the Hue. Much better product :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I heard the white on the Hue (and RGB in general) sucks. I also don't really need or want the controller from the Hue. I just want some white LEDs. 

My plan was to throw the controller underneath the psu cover area. 

Yeah RGB doesn't make a nice white. I'm guessing you wanted those NZXT strips because you can turn them off?

If you don't need to turn them off, you can just get bitfenix alchemy white LED strips that connect directly to molex.

If you do need to turn them off, you can get something like this: (which i think has dedicated white LEDs, not 100% sure though)

OR you can mod the NZXT Hue to work with bitfenix alchemy white LED strips. This is what I am using right now in my PC and the white looks perfect. It is a very simple mod, here is my tutorial:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/166503-hzxt-hue-bitfenix-led-strips/

I can dim or turn on/off the LED strips from the Hue front panel controls :)

Spoiler

The electronics they used are really cheap. I tried them and the LEDs started blinking after a couple months because the switch is crap. Just toughing the switch would make the LEDs change brightness randomly. The strip is also very hard to position because it is not flat, so its almost impossible to get the LEDs facing the right direction. I tried two of these strips then decided to buy the Hue. Much better product :)

Well, like I said, the Hue is a bit of an issue for me as I don't really want the 5.25 controller, and I also don't need all that it offers. I just want a basic white LED strip. Also....theoretically, the direction that the LEDs face shouldn't be such a big deal since the LEDs facing out should look good; and the LEDs facing in and reflecting light out should also look good. 

you can just get bitfenix alchemy white LED strips that connect directly to molex.

I'd be okay with that, are they noticeably better than the NZXT (non-hue) strip as the Bitfenix strip is quite a bit more. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, like I said, the Hue is a bit of an issue for me as I don't really want the 5.25 controller, and I also don't need all that it offers. I just want a basic white LED strip. Also....theoretically, the direction that the LEDs face shouldn't be such a big deal since the LEDs facing out should look good; and the LEDs facing in and reflecting light out should also look good. 

Do you need to be able to turn them on and off?

Like I said above ^ you can get pure white LED strips from bitfenix, they are great. They only turn off when your PC turns off though.

Spoiler

Do you need to be able to turn them on and off?

Like I said above ^ you can get pure white LED strips from bitfenix, they are great. They only turn off when your PC turns off though.

I'd be okay with that, are they noticeably better than the NZXT (non-hue) strip as the Bitfenix strip is quite a bit more. 

^

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

^

Yes, the bitfenix white LED strips are MUCH brighter, and project nice uniform lighting all over the inside of your case. You only need 1 or 2 to light up a full tower. Highly recommended, 8/8 :D

Spoiler

Yes, the bitfenix white LED strips are MUCH brighter, and project nice uniform lighting all over the inside of your case. You only need 1 or 2 to light up a full tower. Highly recommended, 8/8 :D

What would you do, get the 60cm strip, and then run it around the frame of the case? 

/Thats good to hear, spotty-light was what I was most worried about with the NZXT strip. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 cm or 20cm? and where would you suggest putting them--how would one work? Wouldn't one make it seem overly bright on one side vs. the other? 

/Thats good to hear, spotty-light was what I was most worried about with the NZXT strip. 

Depends on how big your case is. Take a ruler and put it inside your case. See if a 20cm strip would fit.

Usually the best placement is one on the top and one on the bottom, but if you can only afford one then the top is the best place to put it.

Also remember that you shouldn't be able to see the strip when the side panel is on. If you can see the LEDs directly it makes the PC look bad.

Spoiler

I have the 2m one. Totally get 2m, it was just enough, I think 1m is for small form factor cases. 

Using Corsair C70

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Depends on how big your case is. Take a ruler and put it inside your case. See if a 20cm strip would fit.

Usually the best placement is one on the top and one on the bottom, but if you can only afford one then the top is the best place to put it.

Also remember that you shouldn't be able to see the strip when the side panel is on. If you can see the LEDs directly it makes the PC look bad.

Yeah, I know. 

I was thinking about getting the 60cm one and doing something like this: 

nXSInDQ.jpg

I don't have the case with me yet, but the height and length of the case is 20x18~ inches. So, I'm thinking I'll only need to light 15x10~ so 25", which is like 60cm. 20cm is $23, 12cm is $14, and 60cm is $33 (yes, I know some are waterproof and others aren't--but I don't need them to be waterproof, so its meaningless). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, I know. 

I was thinking about getting the 60cm one and doing something like this: 

I don't have the case with me yet, but the height and length of the case is 20x18~ inches. So, I'm thinking I'll only need to light 15x10~ so 25", which is like 60cm. 20cm is $23, 12cm is $14, and 60cm is $33 (yes, I know some are waterproof and others aren't--but I don't need them to be waterproof, so its meaningless). 

Yup that looks like it will work great. If you look at your PC directly from the side you won't see any LEDs, but if you look from an angle a bit more to the front, you might be able to see the LEDs on the back panel. Try it, and if you can see it then you can always change it around so instead of a 

____

|

|

it does a

____

|

|

shape.

60cm looks like the correct length though.

Spoiler

honestly i would get 2m

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

i hvae them and i love them in blue

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

i have the blues ones in my define r4 works great and looks good.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount