Heaphone help

tempest420

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new audio solution for heavy gaming and music. I play a whole lot of everything and listen to a lot of rock, hip hop, electronic and even some classical if I'm in the mood. I've been looking around and have decided to get a solid pair of headphones (~$100-150) and one of those little clip on mics that everyone on here seems to recommend. With regards to the headphones though, I am pretty lost.

So far, I'm considering either of the following:

Sennheiser HD558

Audio Technica ATH-M40x or ATH-M50

one of the 20 different Superlux offerings.

My questions are

1 - Is there a significant enough difference between the HD558 ($122) and one of the Superluxs (half as much) to warrant spending the extra cash?

2 - Do any of these require an amp/dac to really get the most out of them? I think some of them say they are low impedance on the box but there are at least a few cases, that I've seen, of people saying they are actually a lot higher than advertised.

3 - If getting an amp/dac combo is a really good idea, can I squeeze that + the headphones into the $150 budget?

4 - Do you guys have better suggestions?

If there are any things I can tell you that'll help with recommendations, fire away.

The 518 shouldbe much cheaper than the 558, and sound relatively the same. That should ease your woes about the price difference vs the superlux stuff.

1 - Is there a significant enough difference between the HD558 ($122) and one of the Superluxs (half as much) to warrant spending the extra cash?

Yes, but it depends on your taste. A few of the Superlux headphones are very bright according to those who review it, but can be easily toned down via EQ on your system.

2 - Do any of these require an amp/dac to really get the most out of them? I think some of them say they are low impedance on the box but there are at least a few cases, that I've seen, of people saying they are actually a lot higher than advertised.

I can't look it up at the moment, but I'm 90% sure none of them require an amp/dac solution.

3 - If getting an amp/dac combo is a really good idea, can I squeeze that + the headphones into the $150 budget?

If you can find the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's for cheap then they're a good buy as well.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to look into your recommendations. How do the Audio Technica models hold up against these?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to look into your recommendations. How do the Audio Technica models hold up against these?

The 20X and 30X? They still sound good for the price, supposedly, but they don't have a removable cable. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but the cable is usually the first thing to break on a pair of headphones.

Naah I meant the 50 and 40X.

40X trumps 50 due to, again, removable cable; and being cheaper by about 17%.

Amazon currently has the M40x + a FiiO E6 Amp for $100. Seems like a pretty solid deal unless I'm getting suckered here? Will probably order this tomorrow unless there's a reason I shouldn't.

Also, the mic I was referring to in my original post was the Zalman Zm-Mic1. I think this one is fairly well recommended or have I confused it with another mic?

40X trumps 50 due to, again, removable cable; and being cheaper by about 17%.

Forgetting the better pads too, the M40/50x is infinitely more comfortable.

Amazon currently has the M40x + a FiiO E6 Amp for $100. Seems like a pretty solid deal unless I'm getting suckered here? Will probably order this tomorrow unless there's a reason I shouldn't.

Also, the mic I was referring to in my original post was the Zalman Zm-Mic1. I think this one is fairly well recommended or have I confused it with another mic?

Won't really need an amp for those but if it comes with it, why not?

Forgetting the better pads too, the M40/50x is infinitely more comfortable.

40x is so better I can't remember all the ways.

Never heard any Superlux's but Sennheiser has been a top notch headphone maker for quite some time now. Especially the HD 558 for gaming are amongst the top 3 best gaming headphones.

Depends on your motherboard but these are not hard to drive headphones so you should be fine.

No.

AKG Q701, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x, Sennheiser HD 558 + Foam mod = HD 598.

How can I check if my mobo (ASRock Z87 Extreme3) can drive the 558?

How can I check if my mobo (ASRock Z87 Extreme3) can drive the 558?

It will do fine. The 558 isn't difficult to drive in the slightest.