New phone recommendations?

AndThenThereWas1

Im finally upgrading from the iphone 4 and i need a recommendation for a new phone. Im looking for something that will last me 2-3 years and money is not really a factor(though gold plated is probably not in my price range :) ). Currently ive been looking at the HTC one m8 and the oneplus one. Anyone have any recommendations? Please explain why you recommend the phone.

I wouldn't go with the OPO, because to RMA something it needs to be shipped to china. 

HTC M8, great phone but the camera couldn't impress me. The speakers though are like heaven.  

LG g3, the build quality isn't the best, it makes a crunch sound. Speaker isn't that good.

Sony Z2, also great phone, seems to have issues with the dock port (just RMAing mine) The camera is sweet and underwater shots are nice. Stereo speaker are good, but under the M8.

If you want something that lasts and you aren't into custom roms, I would recommend a iPhone. They are the best company when it comes to updates.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Im finally upgrading from the iphone 4 and i need a recommendation for a new phone. Im looking for something that will last me 2-3 years and money is not really a factor(though gold plated is probably not in my price range :) ). Currently ive been looking at the HTC one m8 and the oneplus one. Anyone have any recommendations? Please explain why you recommend the phone.

HTC One M8.

More then enough power

Great screen

Amazing speakers (don't believe it till you hear it)

Really cool camera, Ufocus makes you take pics like a pro :P

HTC keeps up with updates pretty well

Lots of root and custom ROM support if you're into that kind of thing (Windows Phone 8.1 coming soon)

MicroSD card slot

Great battery life

Free cracked screen replacement within one year

Available in a really nice gold color if that's what your after xD

Don't get another iPhone

"Rawr XD"

I wouldn't go with the OPO, because to RMA something it needs to be shipped to china. 

HTC M8, great phone but the camera couldn't impress me. The speakers though are like heaven.  

LG g3, the build quality isn't the best, it makes a crunch sound. Speaker isn't that good.

Sony Z2, also great phone, seems to have issues with the dock port (just RMAing mine) The camera is sweet and underwater shots are nice. Stereo speaker are good, but under the M8.

If you want something that lasts and you aren't into custom roms, I would recommend a iPhone. They are the best company when it comes to updates.

Good point with the RMA issue.

From my experiences with the iphone 4 and other apple devices i dont think i am willing to buy another iphone, not because its a bad phone, but because apple updates cause it to slow down too quickly. My opinion is that if you want to install updates and keep that feeling of the iphone being fast then you should expect to buy a new iphone every 1-2 years(about every other release). Athough the same can be said about other phones, i think that its more evident with apple. I currently run ios 5 on my iphone 4. With each update my phone slowed down so much that i was forced to downgrade from ios6 to ios5 just to keep the iphone feeling at least a little fast. Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind getting another iphone, its just not something i am willing to buy until i have a good paying career that will let me buy a new one every 1-2 years.

HTC One M8.

Lots of root and custom ROM support if you're into that kind of thing (Windows Phone 8.1 coming soon)

I saw this earlier today. At first i was interested, but then i read it was only on Verizon....

Nexus 6 for the huge development community for custom kernel, ROMs and other mods.

I dont think there is even a release date yet.

...apple updates cause it to slow down too quickly...

Interesting, I always thought the 4s of my dad is so slow because he has so much junk on it. He wants to get the iphone 6, I should tell him to reconsider that. 

About the M8, I wouldn't get the Windows Phone version. It is too locked down. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Interesting, I always thought the 4s of my dad is so slow because he has so much junk on it. He wants to get the iphone 6, I should tell him to reconsider that. 

All the "junk" does slow it down, but i think the updates really kill the speed. To me it seems like they are coding for the newest device with the best hardware, but then they push the updates to older devices. Those devices arent as capable of handling all the extra features and so they get bogged down. There are, however, reports that apple may be slowing down older devices on purpose. What ever the cause, the only solution i can find is to stop updating or to get a new iphone.

I saw this earlier today. At first i was interested, but then i read it was only on Verizon....

More then likely that the folks over at XDA will get it running on the other M8's

"Rawr XD"

Pretty much assured that we're gonna get a WP8 ROM over to the Android and GPE versions. Obviously I wouldn't buy the actual Windows Phone version, but I'd be something pretty cool to try since I'm bootloader unlocked, rooted, and love to mess with custom ROMs

"Rawr XD"

All the "junk" does slow it down, but i think the updates really kill the speed. To me it seems like they are coding for the newest device with the best hardware, but then they push the updates to older devices. Those devices arent as capable of handling all the extra features and so they get bogged down. There are, however, reports that apple may be slowing down older devices on purpose. What ever the cause, the only solution i can find is to stop updating or to get a new iphone.

I used to edit on a Macbook Pro from 2010. The old iMovie Software worked really well with 1080p. Since the 2011 Update it got slower and slower. Also we got a mac mini as a HTPC and since Mavericks it is slow as hell. I never really thought that is happening on purpose.

Pretty much assured that we're gonna get a WP8 ROM over to the Android and GPE versions. Obviously I wouldn't buy the actual Windows Phone version, but I'd be something pretty cool to try since I'm bootloader unlocked, rooted, and love to mess with custom ROMs

I have been wanting to unlock the bootloader on the Z2. Good that I didn't, because it is being replaced or repaired tomorrow. But Sonys UI is annoying, especially that Whats new shortcut next to Google Now. I will put CM11 back on the Nexus 4. The privacy settings are really great.

I have been wanting to unlock the bootloader on the Z2. Good that I didn't, because it is being replaced or repaired tomorrow. But Sonys UI is annoying, especially that Whats new shortcut next to Google Now. I will put CM11 back on the Nexus 4. The privacy settings are really great.

Replace the Z2, unlock bootloader and put CM11 back on it. You loose pretty much no functionality as Xperia UI is just a themed version of Android (download the Sony UXP theme for CM11 if you want it back) but it fixes a lot of the annoyances like the Google Now swipe up, and the awkward keyboard

"Rawr XD"

This is true, but it's kind of obvious. Although Apple's iOS is what bogs down devices the most with every major update, every OS has this issue. As much as Android KitKat might be optimized for "lower end" hardware, Jelly Bean will still always feel faster, and obviously a PC that was designed for Windows XP won't run Windows 7 or 8 as well as a newer PC that was designed for Vista or came with 7/8

"Rawr XD"

HTC One M8.

More then enough power

Great screen

Amazing speakers (don't believe it till you hear it)

Really cool camera, Ufocus makes you take pics like a pro :P

HTC keeps up with updates pretty well

MicroSD card slot

Great battery life

Free cracked screen replacement within one year

Available in a really nice gold color if that's what your after xD

Don't get another iPhone

Idk if it's different in other parts of the world but the HTC One advantage program where they replace your screen if you crack it free of charge is only 6 months not 12.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Idk if it's different in other parts of the world but the HTC One advantage program where they replace your screen if you crack it free of charge is only 6 months not 12.

In Canada it's a year.

Even if it's 6 months in some countries it's better then crack your screen and warranty is void

"Rawr XD"

when upgrading my phone a couple months ago i went with the htc one (m8).  it is an incredible phone.  the speakers are insanely loud and pretty darn clear for a phone, it is a very fast phone and battery life is very good.  i have never killed it in a day and if it is above ~65-70% at the end of a day i dont charge it that night.  i dont remember much about the ui tho...i rooted and flashed cm11 asap.  

Edit: you can also put a GLASS screen protector on it which not every phone is compatible with,  and i love it.  you wont even know it is there.

In Canada it's a year.

Even if it's 6 months in some countries it's better then crack your screen and warranty is void

No I agree I was just wanting to clarify to see if it happened to be a typo or if it was different in other regions.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I'll throw my $0.02 in here as well:

I recently went from an LG G2 to the HTC One M8. The HTC One is by far the best built phone I have ever used (I've used nearly every bleeding-edge phone, for varying amounts of times, besides the One+ and Oppo). While a numerical "step-down" in raw battery storage from the G2, I feel my M8 (with the Snapdragon 801) handles the battery usage better and I did not notice a change in my daily power levels. The body/weight/feel of the M8 is unmatched and is truly what makes the phone. The only other phones I would look at to compete with the M8 are the S5 and possibly the Nexus 5, but that's just personal preference. The absolute only downside to the phone is the camera, which isn't too huge since I don't take many photos. The "selfie-camera" has a decent resolution, and I honestly use that a ton more than the other lol.

Considering you want a phone that will last you a couple years, I would steer you towards the M8. The build quality and heft, as well as the smoothness of the software, make me feel like I could use it for several years (which I probably will, unless the Nexus 6 is mind-blowing). I have yet to experience the inevitable "slowing down" of Android and apps/UI that I have experienced on every other Android device. Blinkfeed is also pretty cool, however not exactly unique. Another thing to consider is that the HTC One M8 has been guaranteed to get Android L not long after release.

What carrier do you use? Keep in mind the One Plus One doesn't work on some carriers (like Verizon, which is what I use). Plus it seems that getting an invitation to buy a One Plus One is rather difficult, although I have not tried. It might be worth the reduced cost of an off-contract plan, however. I haven't considered cost at all in this post. The One Plus One would offer you a reduced rate/no-contract which could open you up to buying a subsidized on-contract phone in the future if anything ground-breaking tickles your fancy.

when upgrading my phone a couple months ago i went with the htc one (m8).  it is an incredible phone.  the speakers are insanely loud and pretty darn clear for a phone, it is a very fast phone and battery life is very good.  i have never killed it in a day and if it is above ~65-70% at the end of a day i dont charge it that night.  i dont remember much about the ui tho...i rooted and flashed cm11 asap.  

Edit: you can also put a GLASS screen protector on it which not every phone is compatible with,  and i love it.  you wont even know it is there.

Which glass protectors do you recommend? I am trying to find a good one! Tired of Gorilla Grass micro-scratches!

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

Which glass protectors do you recommend? I am trying to find a good one! Tired of Gorilla Grass micro-scratches!

I have the Spigen Glas.tr Slim on mine. Love it! Haven't been able to scratch it yet no matter how many times I've intentionally tried to (with screwdrivers, nails, keys, utility knives, you name it)

"Rawr XD"

I have the Spigen Glas.tr Slim on mine. Love it! Haven't been able to scratch it yet no matter how many times I've intentionally tried to (with screwdrivers, nails, keys, utility knives, you name it)

I think you sold me! Call up Spigen and ask for commission!

edit: just ordered one!

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

I think you sold me! Call up Spigen and ask for commission!

lol it just started when my friend asked me why I spent $40 on a screen protector. It was for 3 reasons. Because they're all the rage now (mainly the reason I bought it), it feels really nice compared to plastic stick on ones or ghost armor or invisibleshield and that other nonsense, and apparently it's really hard to scratch unlike the plastic stick on ones. Just how hard to scratch? Well let's say we started out with a few gentle strokes with a car key and half an hour plus a toolbox later we could barely lift our arms and still not a scratch on it :P

"Rawr XD"

I recently went from an LG G2 to the HTC One M8. The HTC One is by far the best built phone I have ever used (I've used nearly every bleeding-edge phone, for varying amounts of times, besides the One+ and Oppo). While a numerical "step-down" in raw battery storage from the G2, I feel my M8 (with the Snapdragon 801) handles the battery usage better and I did not notice a change in my daily power levels. The body/weight/feel of the M8 is unmatched and is truly what makes the phone. The only other phones I would look at to compete with the M8 are the S5 and possibly the Nexus 5, but that's just personal preference. The absolute only downside to the phone is the camera, which isn't too huge since I don't take many photos. The "selfie-camera" has a decent resolution, and I honestly use that a ton more than the other lol.

Considering you want a phone that will last you a couple years, I would steer you towards the M8. The build quality and heft, as well as the smoothness of the software, make me feel like I could use it for several years (which I probably will, unless the Nexus 6 is mind-blowing). I have yet to experience the inevitable "slowing down" of Android and apps/UI that I have experienced on every other Android device. Blinkfeed is also pretty cool, however not exactly unique. Another thing to consider is that the HTC One M8 has been guaranteed to get Android L not long after release.

What carrier do you use? Keep in mind the One Plus One doesn't work on some carriers (like Verizon, which is what I use). Plus it seems that getting an invitation to buy a One Plus One is rather difficult, although I have not tried. It might be worth the reduced cost of an off-contract plan, however. I haven't considered cost at all in this post. The One Plus One would offer you a reduced rate/no-contract which could open you up to buying a subsidized on-contract phone in the future if anything ground-breaking tickles your fancy.

I noticed you said you have the one with the Snapdragon 801 processor, do they come with different versions?

I dont currently have any carrier. When i buy the phone ill also choose a carrier. Currently im looking at metropcs. They have some decent prices and no contract. At $40-$60 a month ill save in the long run compared to the major guys who charge $100+ per month.

I am currently leaning to the htc one m8.

I noticed you said you have the one with the Snapdragon 801 processor, do they come with different versions?

I dont currently have any carrier. When i buy the phone ill also choose a carrier. Currently im looking at metropcs. They have some decent prices and no contract. At $40-$60 a month ill save in the long run compared to the major guys who charge $100+ per month.

I am currently leaning to the htc one m8.

Yes they do 800, 801, 805.. each of them, then have different models some higher speed, some lower. 

And metropcs is part of t-mobile which is compatible with the one plus one.

The m8 is a great phone, awesome build quality, clear speakers, none rubbish ui. The only con I would say is the camera, well not con just lower aspect of the phone.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

not sure...sorry.  its the one the girl put on when i got it and i didnt see what brand it was.   :(  sorry.  

however.  i remember linus doing a review of a glass screen protector fairly recently.  you might want to look for that video

not sure...sorry. its the one the girl put on when i got it and i didnt see what brand it was. :( sorry.

however. i remember linus doing a review of a glass screen protector fairly recently. you might want to look for that video

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find that companies HTC one M8 model. Plus I haven't had great luck with shipping from Canada, so I decided to buy a Spigen on Amazon

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find that companies HTC one M8 model. Plus I haven't had great luck with shipping from Canada, so I decided to buy a Spigen on Amazon

im sorry.  i figured it was available because linus had one for his m8 when he did the review.  however on their website it just says coming soon.  : / 

i hope the spigen works good for you :)