GTX Titan ?

theam123

So.. I've actually been thinking a lot about this.

What do you really use a titan for? I know that it can be used for gaming and have a high gaming performance, but it can't just be that, right? What exactly is it used for?

Its sort of a mix between gaming and workstation.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's a compute card for CAD/video editing that's still able to game.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

an R9 290X almost outperforms a titan in gaming at half the price.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Its sort of a mix between gaming and workstation.

It's a compute card for CAD/video editing that's still able to game.

compute, otherwise get a 780/ti

performance game wise between titan and 780 is ~

Ahh okay. So it's basically like a i5 and i7. You can game on a titan, just like i7, but it's original purpose is to do editing stuff? Or am I completely wrong. 

Ahh okay. So it's basically like a i5 and i7. You can game on a titan, just like i7, but it's original purpose is to do editing stuff? Or am I completely wrong. 

In a sense this is pretty much correct

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Not comparable, GPUs and CPUs work in completely different ways.

A titan is for use if you specifically need the unlocked compute performance, it is not for gaming, the 780 and 780ti are for gaming.

Titans are for workstations, and workstatsions that also are used to game on, they can do both but if you don't have the workstation purpose the price is not justified.

The titan is made to do both.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

A titan is for use if you specifically need the unlocked compute performance, it is not for gaming.

I know that I'm sorry if I'm "hard" to understand.

Like you can use a i7 for gaming, for the original purpose of this is video editing. Which could be a titan in the GPU sense.

And the i5 would be a 780 ti.

I know that I'm sorry if I'm "hard" to understand.

Like you can use a i7 for gaming, for the original purpose of this is video editing. Which could be a titan in the GPU sense.

And the i5 would be a 780 ti.

Well the purpose of the i7 is actually superior multitasking due to its ability to juggle twice the number of threads on its 4 cores, it yields a ~20% boost in rendering as a byproduct but that's not its whole purpose.

You can render fine on an i5, and they can both perform the same tasts, where as the 780 is physically crippled in terms of its ability to do compute tasks.

Well the purpose of the i7 is actually superior multitasking, it yields a ~20% boost in rendering as a byproduct but that's not its whole purpose.

You can render fine on an i5, and they can both perform the same tasts, where as the 780 is physically crippled in terms of its ability to do compute tasks.

Ahh okay. Thanks a lot ! 

And thanks for the quick and indept answers that you gave me. I appreciate it a lot. Have a nice weekend :)

yeah, but you also only have half the epeen.... :P

A few other things it can do besides gaming/compute are (in no order, and some/all are not limited to the titan):

• G-SYNC
  • PhysX
  • NVIDIA FXAA™ and TXAA™
  • Cuda stuff
  • Nvidia Sheild (shield tablet and the other stuff)
  • 6GB Vram if you need it.
CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

The titan is useful for compute, for example you can use it to render images in programs like blender much faster than most desktop cpus and faster than any gaming card as it has a lot more computing cores.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The actual difference between the titan line-up and a normal gaming GPU is the double precision performance. Double precision is 100% meaningless for games, but there are applications that require it. Those are the kind of applications that a titan is made for. Usually you would buy a workstation GPU for that, but (as ironic as it is) the Titan can perform similarly and might be a decent choice for a budget workstation. You are missing out on the extra support and the specific drivers that workstation GPUs come with, but you get similar performance for a lower price. As a gamer you should absolutely loathe the Titan line-up, it is the reason that we can't have a 6GB 780ti and similar products.

Pretty much.

A titan is for use if you specifically need the unlocked compute performance, it is not for gaming, the 780 and 780ti are for gaming.

Titans are for workstations, and workstatsions that also are used to game on, they can do both but if you don't have the workstation purpose the price is not justified.

He was speaking relatively, that an i7 doesn't give you better performance than an i5 (as of now) in games only just like a Titan Black doesn't give you better performance (well GPU core wise as the extra VRAM would at which point it'd make more sense to go AMD) in games only.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It's like as if you were to buy a R9 295x2. To play Roblox. It's just not worth it if you use it for stupid purposes. If you can use it as both a workstation card and a gaming card, maybe it is worth it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D