Windows 8.1 OEM Re-install

ArunRaj

Hey Guys..

I have a old Dell Dekstop which I am upgrading with new hardware. New motherboard , SSD etc.

It has windows 8 pre-installed from Dell. I can get the OEM Product key which is embedded in the BIOS.

I have my personal gaming system that has Windows 8.1 installed and I have the product key for this.

Now here is the situation. Since I am changing the motherboard and planning to do a clean install I am pretty sure that the Windows Activation will not work since it is gonna look for the Key in the BIOS.

1. Can I use my windows 8.1 DVD that I have to install windows and then use the OEM Product key to activate?

2. Is there a way to update the product key in BIOS before installing Windows?

Let me know if you need more details. This community have always been of great help, so waiting for you replies!!

Have a great day!!

Thanks,

Arun

Yes you can I forgot the tool to use though 

-read write everything use tutorial

-magical jelly bean.com

Edited by TheInverseKey

Yes you can I forgot the tool to use though 

-read write everything use tutorial

-magical jelly bean.com

I know the tool to get the Product Key. I just wanted to make sure that OEM Product Key will work :).

Thanks

Yeah it will I have installed a hdd with windows8 fresh install into a windows 8 laptop and didn't have to activate because it was already.

Yeah it will I have installed a hdd with windows8 fresh install into a windows 8 laptop and didn't have to activate because it was already.

Ok. I am changing the MOBO as well. Since the key is embedded in the BIOS of the old MOBO, it will not activate on its own.

Thats the confusion that I am having.

I cannot download the Windows 8.1 ISO using the OEM Product Key. So I wanted to make sure that I can use the OEM Product Key to activate the Windows installation.

Hope I am not confusing you..

OEM keys can be used on 15 different computers before you need to buy a new one. During installation, use the key you have, then when you boot into windows, go to the "Activate Windows" thing and click call support. Follow the prompts and it will be activated. Takes ~5 minutes.

OEM keys can be used on 15 different computers before you need to buy a new one. During installation, use the key you have, then when you boot into windows, go to the "Activate Windows" thing and click call support. Follow the prompts and it will be activated. Takes ~5 minutes.

Thanks for the info. I will be installing it over the weekend. Will update how it goes.