Should I make the Upgrade?

Flight1sim
Go to solution Solved by MrCthuntoo,

Get Windows 8.1.

Download the Powershell 5 preview.

Get hype for dem new features.

Its been bothering me lately that i havent been using windows 8.1. I am using windows 7 currently, and i have seriously considered switching to 8.1 once and for all! I have used it before, and i didnt dislike it, but i didnt love it either. I want to switch because im getting bored of 7. :P

What version of windows are you using now, and should i switch?

Oh and is there a start menu (7 style) yet?

I thought Microsoft released it but then again i heard they didnt...

EDIT: Yay my first Poll!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I'm using Win 8.1 Pro and honestly with Display Fusion installed I love it. I'm also not a hardcore windows user so the features from Win 7 that are missing don't really affect me.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Definitely make the switch, it's Soooo much faster. I still use startisback though

Definitely make the switch, it's Soooo much faster. I still use startisback though

Did Microsoft release an official start menu tho?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

At this point, wait for 9, hopefully they'll fix the damn interface.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Windows 8.1 enterprise. Download "classic start" and you are ready to go.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Did Microsoft release an official start menu tho?

One that looks the same as 7? No. But start is back is even better in my opinion

At this point, wait for 9, hopefully they'll fix the damn interface.

Well at this point i dont have too many programs installed so i think the upgrade is easiest now...

(will the windows "upgrade" when installing work? I remember i had an issue with some programs when upgrading earlier)

Can I have a moving GIF as a desktop background on windows 8.1?

If I could upgrade for free, and that, I'd do it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Keep in mind, I have heard around the watercooler that windoes 9 might be out sometime next year.  Might be worth it to wait.

Keep in mind, I have heard around the watercooler that windoes 9 might be out sometime next year.  Might be worth it to wait.

Well buying windows isnt an issue for me (My dad has an MSDN subscription from work.) So i might as well upgrade to windows 8.1 now

If you can deal with the UI annoyances it's worth it for the under the hood improvements.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

If you can deal with the UI annoyances it's worth it for the under the hood improvements.

Well i dont have an issue with the UI. And i will get Startisback

Do *NOT* upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 8. Do a fresh install of Win 8; it's a LOT faster if you do so. I did it and I kept it for months and I found Win 8 & 8.1 to be fast, but when I reinstalled Windows 8 from scratch, it was SO much faster at boot and with program loading. I don't know why this is the case, but trust me: If you're going to pick up 8/8.1, do a fresh install.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Do *NOT* upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 8. Do a fresh install of Win 8; it's a LOT faster if you do so. I did it and I kept it for months and I found Win 8 & 8.1 to be fast, but when I reinstalled Windows 8 from scratch, it was SO much faster at boot and with program loading. I don't know why this is the case, but trust me: If you're going to pick up 8/8.1, do a fresh install.

WELCOME TO LTT!!!

Well then i wont... 

I HATE fresh installing Windows because of reinstalling Flight Simulator with addons

But FSX is on my HDD and windows on my SSD. Can i reinstall windows and just run FS off the HDD? (I dont think it'll work)

WELCOME TO LTT!!!

Well then i wont... 

I HATE fresh installing Windows because of reinstalling Flight Simulator with addons

But FSX is on my HDD and windows on my SSD. Can i reinstall windows and just run FS off the HDD? (I dont think it'll work)

Thanks for the welcome ^_^. I don't know how FSX would work; if each addon has an installer it's probably going to be an annoyance. If each addon does not have an installer, you will probably be able to install FSX onto its pre-existing space (to get it into windows' registry) and the addons should work if the files are all that matter. If you save the config files from your app data folders and/or documents folders etc (I don't know where FSX stores its config files) you may be able to auto-restore it to its previous state with fresh installs. I do the same thing with Teamspeak 3 and Skype and Tweetdeck and Playclaw 5, etc; I never actually re-set my programs from scratch. Except for Arma 2. I have no bloody idea why Arma 2 keeps resetting my buttons.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thanks for the welcome ^_^. I don't know how FSX would work; if each addon has an installer it's probably going to be an annoyance. If each addon does not have an installer, you will probably be able to install FSX onto its pre-existing space (to get it into windows' registry) and the addons should work if the files are all that matter. If you save the config files from your app data folders and/or documents folders etc (I don't know where FSX stores its config files) you may be able to auto-restore it to its previous state with fresh installs. I do the same thing with Teamspeak 3 and Skype and Tweetdeck and Playclaw 5, etc; I never actually re-set my programs from scratch. Except for Arma 2. I have no bloody idea why Arma 2 keeps resetting my buttons.

Well all the addons have installers and i bet they would all require reinstall as well to work :P

Get Windows 8.1.

Download the Powershell 5 preview.

Get hype for dem new features.

It appears from the poll that people are voting for whatever OS they are using... 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

My post was given best answer?

How in the great holy balls of Lord Gaben did that happen?

Because thats what im doing now :D

But what is powershell 5?

How do i get the poweshell thing?

How do i get the poweshell thing?

You can download it from here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42936

You may also need to upgrade .net first, which can be found here -

http://www.microsoft.com/net/downloads

By the way, if you're unfamiliar with Powershell, you should really watch some training material on it, as it can be rather different to cmd and there's a lot more you can do with it. Microsoft have a pretty decent training video course on the subject -

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start

Also here's some documentation on the new OneGet feature in V.5. It's essentially the apt-get command in Linux operating systems, something I'm really glad to see make it's way onto Windows -

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2014/04/16/what-s-new-in-powershell-getting-started-with-oneget-in-one-line-with-powershell-5-0.aspx

You can download it from here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42936

You may also need to upgrade .net first, which can be found here -

http://www.microsoft.com/net/downloads

By the way, if you're unfamiliar with Powershell, you should really watch some training material on it, as it can be rather different to cmd and there's a lot more you can do with it. Microsoft have a pretty decent training video course on the subject -

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start

Also here's some documentation on the new OneGet feature in V.5. It's essentially the apt-get command in Linux operating systems, something I'm really glad to see make it's way onto Windows -

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2014/04/16/what-s-new-in-powershell-getting-started-with-oneget-in-one-line-with-powershell-5-0.aspx

My windows installation yesterday has some issue because it wont update, and also Skydrive wont go to Onedrive. Downloaded another .iso for windows 8.1 pro, but how to i get update 1 and 2?

(iso downloaded from MSDN not the pirate bay :P)