Very strange PC/Games crash

Diceair

Hi there

I'm having this issue for a very long time now. I talked about my BSOD the other day and it looks like a memory issue so I changed my memory with some other ones and still getting issues. Let me explain my specs first.

i7-4790k @ stock speeds

Corsair h100i

MSI z97 gaming 5

Sound Blaster Z

2x r9 280x crossfire

16GB corsair vengance 1600mhz RAM (2 kits of 2x4GB each)

Qnix qx2710 2560x1440 @ 96Hz.

Samsung evo 840 128GB SSD for os

Liteon 256GB SSD for some games

1TB WD blue for other games

Corsair AX850w PSU

So everything works fine when well I think so when running without the xmp profile in other words running at 1333MHz well at least tested it for a week with no blue screen etc etc. Then I decided ok let's try out 1600mhz and was playing bf4 etc etc for about 2hr on different maps, servers etc etc. Even changed the graphics settings to higher and lower etc etc. So everything worked so far then I got tired of the game and decided to do something else. I also chat on teamspeak so I closed that aswell and then what do you know BSOD. Why does it BSOD on me closing teamspeak. I then decided ok let's restart and open teamspeak and connect to server change channels a bit and close no BSOD. So it's totally random regardless of how the memory is being used.

So my dad is running this other RAM although only 8GB of RAM. The name of the ram = Excelleram 8GB 1600mhz. So I decided ok let's swap the ram to see if it will work now I get this super weird issue that I can't understand.

Running on stock 1333mhz RAM I get this funny issue. in my games well at least Crysis3, Battlefield 4 when I change the Anti aliasing my game will crash. In bf4 I get directx error stating my GPU doesn't have enough memory and need at least 512mb. That's some serous crap cause before the memory change my pc was sort of running better than this.

I've been having issues with my pc for the past 6months to a year trying to figure out why I'm having so many issues. 

At first with my old 2500k machine was getting artifacts so luckily got my gpu exchanged then after hat my motherboard broke cause was only running pcie at 8x/4x not 8x/8x then getting freezes on BF4. Then i decided ok get a motherboard so long so I can at least game with my 2500k till devils canyon comes out. Still had some major issues like Game freezing on me, Performance not on par, low gpu usage and high cpu sage etc etc. Then last month I upgraded to the pc above and guess what now this BSOD, SSD not compatible, pc not detecting sound card.

Luckily have my sound card and ssd working now by getting a new ssd and updated to new bios so that's working fine for now. But still having BSOD and crashes of some sort.

This is what I tried.

1. New motherboard, CPU and still hacing issues

2. Chaning RAM

3. Testing GPU's with valley benchmark and no crashes etc etc.

4. Memtest 86+ on xmp and non xmp and no erors

5. SFC/ scannow. No errors found

6. completely uninstall AMD drivers and using DDU to remove leftover files and then reinstalling 14.7 and even older 14.4 drivers same issue.

7. Installing 2 crossfire bridges

8. Disable ULPS via MSI Afterburner.

none of the above works so what could it be what can I test next. I think tonight or later today I will reinstall my operating system to see if that helps. There must be something wrong with my system. Buying almost a completely new system can't give me the same issues. The only thing i actually got new in the system when I upgraded was Motherboard, CPU, Samsung evo 840 and we can sort of say RAM. Rest stayed the same.

So what should be my next step? Oh and sorry for the long post please ask what you don't understand and i will do my utmost best to explain it.

Thanks

-snip-

Uhm R9 Series does not use crossfire bridge. Also check the timings not just the speed.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Uhm R9 Series does not use crossfire bridge. Also check the timings not just the speed.

Only the R9 290(X) doesn't have a bridge. The rest of the R9 series does.

Try it with one GPU

I have had battlefield4 issues before when running get two GPU's

Do the windows logs say anything?

Only the R9 290(X) doesn't have a bridge. The rest of the R9 series does.

Oh. Ok. Uhm ok, can you give me the exact model of your ram? Then, try setting it manually to 1600 then set the timings to 9-9-9-24.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

snip

i agree with him about looking into windows logs. can't believe you had no errors in sfc, i was having similar issues with my machine, and it all went back to windows updates.... sfc found almost 40 errors, after uninstalling 6 or 7 windows updates everything was resolved.

Do the windows logs say anything?

ive used this tool before, it can come in handy... online minidump analyzer. http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

theres another that i prefer, but i don't have my bookmarks with me (im on vacation.)

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

i agree with him about looking into windows logs. can't believe you had no errors in sfc, i was having similar issues with my machine, and it all went back to windows updates.... sfc found almost 40 errors, after uninstalling 6 or 7 windows updates everything was resolved.

ive used this tool before, it can come in handy... online minidump analyzer. http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

theres another that i prefer, but i don't have my bookmarks with me (im on vacation.)

I already checked with bluescreenview and there I see that the crash is due to 0x0000003b and a different file every time. I tried googling it but to not much info on the issue. sometimes my ATIkmdag.sys and yesterday it was netio.sys file giving me errors. other times it was ks.sys so it's random.  I've tested with sfc/scannow many times. i tested once then reboot then test again so no issues found.

For now want to sort out why bf4 and crysis3 and possibly other games is crashing. maybe i will have to reload my operating system. I tested with another system although connected to a 1080p monitor I tested by opening many tabs in chrome and having internet explorer open and having bf4 open same time with 8GB of normal 1333MHz ram and r9 270x and it will use a little less ram. something like 4.1-4.4GB where on my main gaming pc it will use 4.3-5GB so I can't understand why I'm running out of memory. 

I was thinking of just reinstalling operating system. I never reinstalled the operating system when I upgraded from my b75 to my z97 board but then again a pc here at work has been upgraded from p67, 2600 to z87 4770k without reloading the os and so far it's been almost 3-6 months without any crashes, BSOD etc etc. on the work pc I even cloned the os to another Seagate hybrid drive no issues so far so can't understand why I'm having all the issues. 

I was running my old i5-2500k, Z77a-g45 motherboard just fine except for the motherboard that broke and cpu. I was then running 8GB and played BF4 for many hours settings change and many tabs open in chrome and no crash performance drop due to low memory available.

I think the next step is to reinstall my operating system and only install the essentials for gaming and test. Heck i might even reinstall battlefield 4 to make sure it's not corrupted but if crysis is giving me the same issue then why would it be corrupted. I already did a repair install and the issue is still there. Anything else i can try or look into before I reinstall my operating system.

Thanks 

has it always been giving you bsod? i noticed that when geforce experience installed a new driver, id be fine, then a week or two would pass, windows updates would come out, and id be bsod during games again. sfc found problem updates, but maybe just go into control panel and uninstall every windows update you can, turn off automatic updates, reboot, try the games again and see if its still crashing on you?

i love reinstalling my os, i make a list of all the programs i have installed that i need, i keep all my current driver installs on a usb thumbdrive, and i love the speed and cleanliness of a fresh os. especially when you forget to uncheck those piggyback programs on flash and reader updates. bastards.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

has it always been giving you bsod? i noticed that when geforce experience installed a new driver, id be fine, then a week or two would pass, windows updates would come out, and id be bsod during games again. sfc found problem updates, but maybe just go into control panel and uninstall every windows update you can, turn off automatic updates, reboot, try the games again and see if its still crashing on you?

i love reinstalling my os, i make a list of all the programs i have installed that i need, i keep all my current driver installs on a usb thumbdrive, and i love the speed and cleanliness of a fresh os. especially when you forget to uncheck those piggyback programs on flash and reader updates. bastards.

not always just since I had the ssd for about a week. But I know it's not the ssd cause when I did set my memory to 1333mhz AKA "without XMP" it was sort of working fine for about a week. So now I know it's something else as MEMtest 86+ can't find anything wrong with my memory after 7 passes so yeah. I also just did a SFC /Scannow and guesst what "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So WTF windows. Maybe no system file is corrupt but something is interfering with my os files when in use. 

like i said I will also connect my other pc with completely different components that I will be using for racing games etc etc to the monitor to test if monitor or resolution can cause this. maybe it's a bug in 2560x1440 and/or above. I also just tested again on the other pc 1080p monitor again by opening even more tabs make the ram usage close to 6GB, 5.5GB to be exact and still no issues when changing from 0xmsaa to 4xmsaa/2xmsaa also had resolution scale to 200% and still no issues. So I still for the life of me can't understand why I'm having this issue.

For now I want to focus being able to at least change my settings in my games without crashing cause I guess 8GB RAM should be enough right if I close everything before I open my game? I'm sure it will be cause I was running 8GB in my pc before and like I said in my previous post nothing like this before. i also find it weird that my game will crash when running out of memory. 

Just one more thing. in task manager and system info my pc does indeed detect all of my 8GB RAM

Ok so I'm home now. I will start backing up some essential stuff then reformat. yipeee hope it works then. I tested the other pc with the following specs

i7-3770k, r9 270x, 8GB standard ram 1333mhz and it runs just fine.

Update: Ok I just did a reinstall of windows and guess what......it still crashed with 2 cards installed so the next logical stem would be to remove 1 card. So I removed the card and no crashes in games etc etc. I can even run it at max.

with 2 cards my memory usage is about 4.5GB but with 1 card about 3.2 - 3.5GB so 1 GB less. So what could be the cause of this I will test the other card now to see if it's faulty

Ok so I'm home now. I will start backing up some essential stuff then reformat. yipeee hope it works then. I tested the other pc with the following specs

i7-3770k, r9 270x, 8GB standard ram 1333mhz and it runs just fine.

Update: Ok I just did a reinstall of windows and guess what......it still crashed with 2 cards installed so the next logical stem would be to remove 1 card. So I removed the card and no crashes in games etc etc. I can even run it at max.

with 2 cards my memory usage is about 4.5GB but with 1 card about 3.2 - 3.5GB so 1 GB less. So what could be the cause of this I will test the other card now to see if it's faulty

Yep. As I said the two card thing has given me issues before. Sometimes updating to the AMD Beta driver fixed the issue to the extent of it not crashing as much. Also having .net framework fully updated can make things a little better. To be honest part of me blames BF4 as I didn't have any issues with two cards on BF3.

Ok let me first tell a story. about a few months ago I decided to go and test out mantle on a old pc. specs as follows.

q6600

4GB RAM

windows 8.1 64 bit

normal hdd

my r9 280x single card

pci-e 2.0

so I tested with that pc and no issues. Now on to my issue

I decide ok let's just test each ram module. So I installed 4gb and bang as soon as I get usage of about 2.4GB - 2.8GB it will crash telling me to close bf4. I also tested thief without mantle same issue.

I also tested by installing my other r9 270x in the system and guess what. Same issue so WTF is wrong with my pc. I then decided ok let's try by just running 4gb ram on the pc with the 3770k in it and guess what same issue. So strange cause going back to my oldish system with only 4GB ram everthing was running fine there. I could even max bf4 1080p on 60fps with 120% resolution scale.

I also tested by connecting my monitor to the 1080p monitor and same issue. So strange that it will do the same n my system and a completely different system. So anything else I can try?

So just an update. Yesterday i did some testings. When I play BF4 for example (I know that game is full of bugs but let's investigate first) on clean os and latest drivers and bios I see that when I install 8GB ram i will play for a little while and it will tell me that I'm running out of memory then when I run 16GB ram it won't cause i have lot's of memory. it looks similar to a memory leak. Another issue when running 1600mhz I will get BSOD in the weirdest way. It will BSOD when closing a simple window or it will BSOD when just browsing the net but when I game it will not. well not all the time. Maybe my ram is not stable on 1600mhz but it also could be the memory controller in the cpu that's faulty. i really want to get myself a 16GB kit (2x8GB) 1866mhz memory but I'm unsure if it will work cause of this issue now. maybe I should be happy for now with my 1333mhz until memory breaks or something breaks completely cause having to spend a fortune on memory now and having issues with it I don't see it worth the effort for about 5-10+fps. For now i think i would rather have a stable system than a super fast system.