So, I wasn't actually sure where to post this but recently after building my first PC which was an serious upgrade from the Windows XP tower I had from Rent-A-Center, I wanted to try and build a period PC centered around the time Windows XP was released sense I had some games back when that launched that don't really work on my newer stuff. It had been floating around in my head as a fun side project until recently (as in today) when I was at my local Goodwill and picked up a neat find. A GeForce 4 Ti 4600 graphics card from Nvidia and MSI for only 10 bucks (Total purchase was 14 cause I found Reservoir Dogs on Laser Disc and grabbed that too). So Now my problem is how would I go about building this list sense Im not sure how to find parts from around 2001-2002 easily. I would like to try and get original parts instead of just modern bits and booting XP onto it cause I want it to be a neat side project for when Im bored. So if Any help in this area would be appreciated.

post-78233-0-57571300-1407886448_thumb.jpost-78233-0-79844800-1407886453_thumb.j My favorite part, everything Inside is factory sealed despite the box being dinged up post-78233-0-11819300-1407886491_thumb.j

You could try looking up what the high end parts were back then and look for them on ebay or you can always keep looking for old computer parts at goodwill or other thrift shops which is probably cheaper than ebay.

Apparently you can find some interesting stuff in there (Can't really tell, we don't have any thrift shops here) Just make sure everything is in a good condition still.

I really like the idea by the way.

the 2000's called they want their graphics card back 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

You could try looking up what the high end parts were back then and look for them on ebay or you can always keep looking for old computer parts at goodwill or other thrift shops which is probably cheaper than ebay.

Apparently you can find some interesting stuff in there (Can't really tell, we don't have any thrift shops here) Just make sure everything is in a good condition still.

I really like the idea by the way.

Thanks for the advice, and yeah. This idea came about after difficulties not being able to play some of my older games without having to either mod the hell out of them to work (Which Im not one for doing cause I always mess up somewhere) or finding a replacement for my burnt out XPs motherboard. Being the adult I am now with a job I came to the realization "Wait...I have an income I didnt have when my XP died...hell with that, lets make a new one"

The sticker price was $319... lol

Yeah, that scared me at first cause the box was sitting behind the counter at the store. Asked the woman to look at it and was horrified that the price was that. She just laughed and flipped it over to show that it was actually 20 but all things with red stickers were half off today.

Thanks for the advice, and yeah. This idea came about after difficulties not being able to play some of my older games without having to either mod the hell out of them to work (Which Im not one for doing cause I always mess up somewhere) or finding a replacement for my burnt out XPs motherboard. Being the adult I am now with a job I came to the realization "Wait...I have an income I didnt have when my XP died...hell with that, lets make a new one"

But keep in mind it's not just modern OS like win7 or win8 causing problems, also newer direct x versions, gpu drivers etc.

But keep in mind it's not just modern OS like win7 or win8 causing problems, also newer direct x versions, gpu drivers etc.

Hmm, Good point, should probably look into a library of old drivers, find that sweet spot when they stopped functioning properly for such a build

@tmcclelland455 - weren't you doing a build like this?

Kinda. Mine was HELIOS.

Also, I want that video card soooo bad.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Im not sure if it's the best route, but the Quick User's Guide has some advertisements for Mobo's that have come out around the same time as the card and doing a quick search Ive managed to find some of them so might go with those. From there I can easily find the rest, just having a bit of trouble on the PSU cause not sure what to be looking for yet.

so that's what VGA means...

I started thinking on this and looking around for how old I can find drivers and the like and ran across an interesting idea for this build. I could go with parts from right before Windows Vista and sorta make a "Best of XP" when it was still the newest OS but Im sure I might loose the whole "Period Build from parts around the same time" sorta deal. Thoughts?

I have a period PC from 2008-2009. I friend needed a PC a while back and I managed to piece it together with some stuff I had around. The Antec 900 and blue LED fans just make it feel just right.

I started thinking on this and looking around for how old I can find drivers and the like and ran across an interesting idea for this build. I could go with parts from right before Windows Vista and sorta make a "Best of XP" when it was still the newest OS but Im sure I might loose the whole "Period Build from parts around the same time" sorta deal. Thoughts?

Do a 2006 period PC, because it's a lot easier to find an LGA775 board than Socket 478, which was popular in 2001. Just make sure to get a board with an AGP slot for that graphics card.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.