watercooling a corsair 350D (planning)

so iv'e been planning my new water cooling rig for a while now and ive decided on the 350D. i will be using bits and bobs from my old rig but all this water cooling stuff is new to me. threre's a couple of things i plan to do a little differently. firstly i'm planing on modding a 360mm rad in the front, i'm pretty confident it'll work but i can always just use a 240 or 280 rad if it does not. i'm also planing on using the fill port on my tube reservoir as an outlet for my front 360 rad.

anyway, iv'e just about completely decided on all my parts but obviously it may change slightly over the course of the next couple of months as i save for the money i need.

below is a link to both my plan (picture) and my parts list:

just posting this to check for compatibility with everything and for some suggestions for what i could do better. also to give a sneek peek to my up coming build log.

note: in addition to the shopping cart i will be adding a z87 gigabyte sniper m5, a 4770k, a Samsung 830 series (from old build) and the gelid wings will be uv blue not blue led.

post-16686-0-50185400-1369462783_thumb.j

PC Case Gear.htm

You have enough radiator space. Depending on your modding skills you will or will not be able to fit the 360 rad in there. I believe the Optical bays are bolted into place, but don't take my word on that.

Using the top post of the res as an inlet toy our loop you will need a manifold there so you can also pour in coolant from the top.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=14276&cat=0&page=1

and

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=13994&cat=0&page=1

I needs your parts list to help you more with the actual parts. Make a bullet pointed list in the thread. Mixing it in with your other components makes it unnecessarily confusing. You don't even need to link to the components, we know what they are. ;)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

You have enough radiator space. Depending on your modding skills you will or will not be able to fit the 360 rad in there. I believe the Optical bays are bolted into place, but don't take my word on that.

Using the top post of the res as an inlet toy our loop you will need a manifold there so you can also pour in coolant from the top.

http://www.specialte...76&cat=0&page=1

and

http://www.specialte...94&cat=0&page=1

I needs your parts list to help you more with the actual parts. Make a bullet pointed list in the thread. Mixing it in with your other components makes it unnecessarily confusing. You don't even need to link to the components, we know what they are.  ;)

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=168454&action=wish_lists

in addition to the shopping cart i will be adding a z87 gigabyte sniper m5, a 4770k, a Samsung 830 series (from old build) and the gelid wings will be uv blue not blue led.

Look forward to seeing this build unravel :)

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Look forward to seeing this build unravel  :)

i do too.....although itll be atleast another couple of months unfortunatly......not if but when

I would put the SSD's in the back behind the motherboard tray. No real reason to have them in the bottom of the case. 

I would put the SSD's in the back behind the motherboard tray. No real reason to have them in the bottom of the case. 

beacause there sexy and know one wants to see the pump.

beacause there sexy and know one wants to see the pump.

Wouldn't it interfere with your PSU cables? 

Wouldn't it interfere with your PSU cables?

na, it'll be well in front of the psu cables.

It not that I'm lazy or anything but its actually very difficult for me to be able to help you with your parts unless you make a bullet pointed list. That way I can tell you my opinion of each of your components individually. Websites like the one you linked to are messy and have too much unnecessary information I then have to filter through.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It not that I'm lazy or anything but its actually very difficult for me to be able to help you with your parts unless you make a bullet pointed list. That way I can tell you my opinion of each of your components individually. Websites like the one you linked to are messy and have too much unnecessary information I then have to filter through.

ok, no problem... heres my list of parts:

case: corsair obsidian 350D (with window) 

cpu: intel i7 4770k (whenever it comes out)

mobo: gigabyte sniper M5 z87 (whenever it comes out)

gpu: evga gtx 780 (reference design)

ram: kingston hyperx 4x4gb (at 1600mhz)

psu: corsair ax860 (with individually sleeved cable kit)

ssd: samsung 830 series 128gb + samsung 840 series 250gb

lighting:2x bitspower uv cathode 30cm

and the watercooling components:

cpu waterblock: xspc raystorm 

gpu waterblock: xspc titan full cover waterblock (with backplate)

thermal paste: arctic cooling mx4

pump: xspc d5 vario pump (with direct acetal top)

radiatator: xspc ex 120 + xspc ex 240+ xspc ex 360 (all 35mm thick)

radiator fans: 6x gelid wing 12 (uv blue)

reservoir: primochill ctr 120mm (uv blue)

tubing: primochill primoflex lrt (uv blue)

coolant: distilled water + primochill liquid utopia

fittings: bitspower silver shinning or xspc chrome compressions (several different variates depending on the part of the loop)

hope that makes it easier.....looking forward to hearing back from you...

and the watercooling plan for reference again if you needed it:

post-16686-0-50185400-1369462783_thumb.j

Great.

First I will go over your diagram.

Between you 240 and 360 rad there is a very short distance. I would watch out for that. I assume you want to use the thread going out of the front of the 240 rad rather than the sides and then go into the side of the 360. On your diagram it seems okay but the radiators may be much closer together than you think or the threads may be at different heights. That's just something to consider.

The same goes for the very short run between the pump and the reservoir. You may even want to consider combining them. Have a look at this Ek reservoir: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-d5/ek-d5-x-res-top-140-csq-black-acetal.html . You can get different length reservoirs for it.

Also the top of the reservoir is usually the fill port so you may need to be creative while filling your reservoir. Most likely you will need a manifold like this: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=14276&cat=0&page=

Also instead of going for a 120mm radiator at the back it will be much better if you get version of the other rads. Thickness is usually proportional to FPI (fins per inch) and the higher the FPI the faster fans need to run to push air through it.

Going onto you choice of components:

• Really good looking waterblock, good performer.
  • Again, good looking and a good performer.
  • Thermal paste is fine. I personally prefer Arctic Silver 5 but MX-4 is just as good.
  • The pump is fine. If you use the reservoir I linked above you will save money on the pump top and the reservoir.
  • -
  • Tubing is fine. Make sure that if you are ordering per meter or per foot you order more than one. They usually come in packs of ~3m and that's a good amount to get. Its too much but if you make a mistake it is useful to have more.
  • Coolant is fine.

Great.

First I will go over your diagram.

Between you 240 and 360 rad there is a very short distance. I would watch out for that. I assume you want to use the thread going out of the front of the 240 rad rather than the sides and then go into the side of the 360. On your diagram it seems okay but the radiators may be much closer together than you think or the threads may be at different heights. That's just something to consider.

The same goes for the very short run between the pump and the reservoir. You may even want to consider combining them. Have a look at this Ek reservoir: http://www.ekwb.com/...ack-acetal.html . You can get different length reservoirs for it.

Also the top of the reservoir is usually the fill port so you may need to be creative while filling your reservoir. Most likely you will need a manifold like this: http://www.specialte...276&cat=0&page=

Also instead of going for a 120mm radiator at the back it will be much better if you get version of the other rads. Thickness is usually proportional to FPI (fins per inch) and the higher the FPI the faster fans need to run to push air through it.

Going onto you choice of components:

• Really good looking waterblock, good performer.
  • Again, good looking and a good performer.
  • Thermal paste is fine. I personally prefer Arctic Silver 5 but MX-4 is just as good.
  • The pump is fine. If you use the reservoir I linked above you will save money on the pump top and the reservoir.
  • -
  • Tubing is fine. Make sure that if you are ordering per meter or per foot you order more than one. They usually come in packs of ~3m and that's a good amount to get. Its too much but if you make a mistake it is useful to have more.
  • Coolant is fine.

thanks for the feed back.....

i'm well aware that the 360 and 240 will be a tight fit and that the inlet/outlet ports for the rads and will be a bit difficult to work with. if i find it to hard or the 360 wont fit i can always take it back and replace it for a front 240 or 280 instead.

i'm also pretty much set on the idea of that primochill res.

i think it'll go with my build much better than some of the other integrated pump combos and it should fit nicely considering it is only a small 120mm tube res.

the res has two ports on the top so i can use one for a fill port and the other as an inlet for my res, making the use for that multi directional fitting redundant.....right?

what do you mean by this?? "Also instead of going for a 120mm radiator at the back it will be much better if you get version of the other rads." do you mean, get rid of the 120 at the back?? i was considering that...just not sure yet and might change my mind before i do the final build.

to do with fpi and fan speeds, i'm looking to run my fans at low rpm's as i love the idea of a quiet pc. the rads are reasonably slimline at only 35mm making them less obstructive and probably more compatible with my build (eg. to get clearance for the motherboard and that tube res). this is what xspc has to say about the line of rads i'm using "The EX series has been designed and optimized for low speed fans, so it can offer high performance cooling at very low noise levels."

relieving to hear that all my water cooling components have a good reputation. what did you think of my other general hardware? 

• Yup, if that res has two holes at the top the second on can be the intake.
  • You could ditch the 120mm radiator. With the 240 and 360 you will still have enough cooling potential. What I was saying is you could get a 45mm or 60mm thick radiator instead of a 30mm one. As a general trend thinner radiators require faster and therefore louder fans speeds.

These radiators may be designed lower fan speeds but they still require higher fan speeds than for example a 60mm rad. They do seem to be on the good side though, in that they do not need fan speeds as high a other rads in the same thickness range.

Have a look at this confusing graph. Just look at the fan speed vrs. performance and look at it as a percentage.

xspc-ex360-rightinlet.png?w=614

Source: martinsliquidlab.org

I understand.... But to fit the tube reservoir in i need a reasonably thin reservoir in the front, I know, I'm shallow. and ill be damned if 6x120mm effective rads is not enough to be running two blocks with readonably low fan speeds.....correct me if I'm wrong?

Also although these rads are thinish they are designed for low rpm fans Mabey at the expense of a little performance....quote xspc "The EX series has been designed and optimized for low speed fans, so it can offer high performance cooling at very low noise levels".

I understand.... But to fit the tube reservoir in i need a reasonably thin reservoir in the front, I know, I'm shallow. and ill be damned if 6x120mm effective rads is not enough to be running two blocks with readonably low fan speeds.....correct me if I'm wrong?

Also although these rads are thinish they are designed for low rpm fans Mabey at the expense of a little performance....quote xspc "The EX series has been designed and optimized for low speed fans, so it can offer high performance cooling at very low noise levels".

The best way to demonstrate this is to show you a graph for a 60mm radiator:

alphacool-ut60-pd1.png?w=614

Source: martinsliquidlab.org

If you look they work almost as well as a 60mm radiator at low fan speeds but when you need more performance from them you need higher fan speeds to achieve that performance.

EDIT: Also, regarding your hardware. Ask someone who knows a lot about hardware. This might be a good place to start. ;)

Alight....time to reconsider my rads I guess, thank for all your help.