Wii U

ThatFatMan1911

I personally think the Wii U is still a waste of money. Especially since the 3DS is practically the same thing. The only way I would own one is if one of two things happened

1. It was given to me for free.

2. Nintendo were to bundle it with the upcoming Smash bros. AND Mario Kart and knock the price down to $100-$150. 

In my opinion that is what it is worth. I have owned many Nintendo systems in my life but I'm afraid this is one I will have to skip on. Maybe Nintendo can do better with the next one? What do you think?

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

The wii u is something i would want because i already have a gaming pc, i don't need a hardcore console to play games. So i can use it as a gaming console to play on the tv.

The 3ds isn't suitable for living room gaming. I'll probably not get a wii u either, but that's because I already have an original wii and feel no need to get a new one at the moment, not because I think it's a bad investment. As @Bubblewhale said, the wii u is the one console that actually makes sense to us pc gamers. Mobile is a different matter entirely.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think the 3DS is stupid, it just hurts your eyes, well mine at least. The Wii U is a half-decent living room gaming console and it is a pretty nice casual console.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I personally think the Wii U is still a waste of money. Especially since the 3DS is practically the same thing. The only way I would own one is if one of two things happened

2. Nintendo were to bundle it with the upcoming Smash bros. AND Mario Kart and knock the price down to $100-$150. 

In my opinion that is what it is worth. I have owned many Nintendo systems in my life but I'm afraid this is one I will have to skip on. Maybe Nintendo can do better with the next one? What do you think?

I don't really understand why this is in mobile gaming as the WiiU is a home console... But anyway the 3DS is in no way similar to the WiiU. The WiiU is a console, the 3DS is a handheld. The WiiU can push 1080P visuals, the 3DS doesn't even push 720P visuals. The 3DS has 3D visuals, the WiiU does not.

What your asking for is really unreasonable, the WiiU is a great console with very good first party games and many more coming in the future. It just lacks third party support. Yes it's weaker than the XboxOne and PS4 but all of this generations consoles are anemic, the difference is Nintendo makes great games and finds solutions to push the hardware to the max.

The 3ds isn't suitable for living room gaming. I'll probably not get a wii u either, but that's because I already have an original wii and feel no need to get a new one at the moment, not because I think it's a bad investment. As @Bubblewhale said, the wii u is the one console that actually makes sense to us pc gamers. Mobile is a different matter entirely.

Ummmm, I may have misread but by the sounds of what your saying it sounds like you think the Wii and the WiiU are the same thing... I hope your not one of the people who thinks the WiiU is just an add on for the original Wii... It's an entirely new console. (I'm sure you know that, just the way your wrote it makes it sound like your saying they are the same thing.)

Ummmm, I may have misread but by the sounds of what your saying it sounds like you think the Wii and the WiiU are the same thing... I hope your not one of the people who thinks the WiiU is just an add on for the original Wii... It's an entirely new console. (I'm sure you know that, just the way your wrote it makes it sound like your saying they are the same thing.)

I know what the wii u is, don't worry ;) what I meant by "I don't feel the need for a new one" is I don't feel the need for a new console, not a new wii.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I know what the wii u is, don't worry ;) what I meant by "I don't feel the need for a new one" is I don't feel the need for a new console, not a new wii.

Ahhh that's what I was hoping you meant. On another note Nintendo's marketing of the WiiU is a disaster, still meet people who think it's just a tablet controller for the Wii. They should have named it something entirely different. Even Wii2 would have been better marketing.. 

Even Wii2 would have been better marketing.. 

Indeed it would have. Even Nintendo128 would have been better ffs.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't really understand why this is in mobile gaming as the WiiU is a home console... But anyway the 3DS is in no way similar to the WiiU. The WiiU is a console, the 3DS is a handheld. The WiiU can push 1080P visuals, the 3DS doesn't even push 720P visuals. The 3DS has 3D visuals, the WiiU does not.

What your asking for is really unreasonable, the WiiU is a great console with very good first party games and many more coming in the future. It just lacks third party support. Yes it's weaker than the XboxOne and PS4 but all of this generations consoles are anemic, the difference is Nintendo makes great games and finds solutions to push the hardware to the max.

I knew you would bitch about this being in the wrong section. I noticed a second after I posted. I made a mistake. But nah man, the 3DS practically has the same games, more people have the 3DS than the Wii U, you can take it anywhere, it can take pictures, and it has a cool 3d mode. I've had Nintendo my entire life. So I don't care about "graphics" or "resolution". They have NEVER had any HD system until the Wii U was launched. What always kept me with Nintendo was the great franchises and the excellent story lines to their games.

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

I knew you would bitch about this being in the wrong section. I noticed a second after I posted. I made a mistake. But nah man, the 3DS practically has the same games, more people have the 3DS than the Wii U, you can take it anywhere, it can take pictures, and it has a cool 3d mode. I've had Nintendo my entire life. So I don't care about "graphics" or "resolution". They have NEVER had any HD system until the Wii U was launched. What always kept me with Nintendo was the great franchises and the excellent story lines to their games.

I wasn't exactly complaining, note that I wasn't upright just saying it was in the wrong section and leaving, I was making a post and pointing out that it was expressing confusion at the location of the thread as I know some people think the WiiU is a handheld system. just wondering why it was posted here. The 3DS does not have the same games as the WiiU, the only game announced at E3 this year that's on both systems is Super Smash Bros. Nintendo's new IP Splatoon is a WiiU exclusive and that game looks awesome, Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive, Captain Toads Treasure Tracker is a WiiU exclusive, Super Mario Kart 8 is a WiiU exclusive, Mario Maker is a WiiU exclusive, Mario Party 10 is a WiiU exclusive, need I go on? None of these games are avaiable on 3DS, and cross platform will always be a downgraded experience on the 3DS, it's a handheld.

I wasn't exactly complaining, note that I wasn't upright just saying it was in the wrong section and leaving, I was making a post and pointing out that it was expressing confusion at the location of the thread as I know some people think the WiiU is a handheld system. just wondering why it was posted here. The 3DS does not have the same games as the WiiU, the only game announced at E3 this year that's on both systems is Super Smash Bros. Nintendo's new IP Splatoon is a WiiU exclusive and that game looks awesome, Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive, Captain Toads Treasure Tracker is a WiiU exclusive, Super Mario Kart 8 is a WiiU exclusive, Mario Maker is a WiiU exclusive, Mario Party 10 is a WiiU exclusive, need I go on? None of these games are avaiable on 3DS, and cross platform will always be a downgraded experience on the 3DS, it's a handheld.

In other words bitching, and those games looked pretty boring to me.

I personally think the Wii U is still a waste of money. Especially since the 3DS is practically the same thing.

3DS

95062_3ds_zeldalbw_1001_141.jpg

Wii U

screenshot1.jpg

............ sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. You can rant all you want but they're entirely different platforms.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

*edit: I will buy one if these things become real:

1: Price drop and bundles with first-party games, just like you said

2: Metroid (Retro Studios, not that other trash studio). Real Metroid. Not this Other M garbage.

3: Killer RPG of some sort. 3DS has Etrian Odyssey and Persona Q, Playstation has Persona main series and classic SMT games. Wii U needs something good and unique that makes good use of the tablet controller.

It's got the Luigi Death stare, and that's worth some cash money.

But it still costs too much.

Git Gud.

The Wii U, especially Mario Kart 8, is nice for relaxing. It's first-party exclusives drive the console itself.

However, it in no way makes the console worth $300+

I got mine on craigslist for 200

Computer: 4790k, 16 GB Ram, Strix 980, Z97 Gaming 7, Dark Rock Pro 3, EVGA 750 G2, 850 EVO

Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Tablet: iPad Air 2

Does Nintendo sell refurbished WiiU units at a discount in the US through their online store? Got my 3DS XL that way, in great condition.

Git Gud.

3DS

95062_3ds_zeldalbw_1001_141.jpg

Wii U

screenshot1.jpg

............ sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. You can rant all you want but they're entirely different platforms.

So you only care about the graphics? Hmm...

1: Price drop and bundles 

What price drop? They dropped it by $50...it's gonna take a lot more than that to sell it to me. However, I did see someone on Craigslist selling a 32gb with a lot of games for only $100.

What price drop? They dropped it by $50...it's gonna take a lot more than that to sell it to me. However, I did see someone on Craigslist selling a 32gb with a lot of games for only $100.

Oh I should have labeled my list :P

That list is stuff that the WiiU needs to make me buy it.

So yes, it's going to need to be ~$150  at most for me to pick one up. Barely worth more than my 3DS. At least the 3DS has a bunch of games.

Git Gud.

So yes, it's going to need to be ~$150  at most for me to pick one up. Barely worth more than my 3DS. At least the 3DS has a bunch of games.

Yeah I mean I still have a love for Nintendo but Nintendo decided to do a piss poor job on their newest console and that really turned a lot of folks away. You won't believe how many families did not buy the Wii U just because they thought the U was just a slight upgrade to what they already had.

Yeah I mean I still have a love for Nintendo but Nintendo decided to do a piss poor job on their newest console and that really turned a lot of folks away. You won't believe how many families did not buy the Wii U just because they thought the U was just a slight upgrade to what they already had.

I don't understand how either of you think that $150 is a reasonable ammount to pay for the WiiU when the Xbox 360 4GB model is selling for $180 and the 3DS XL is selling for $200. Your effectively asking Nintendo to sell you a home console with superior graphics to the Xbox 360 with a controller that nearly doubles the manufacturing cost for less than their handheld gaming system and less than a last generation gaming system that's reaching the end of it's life. Nintendo already sells the WiiU at a loss, give the console a break. The Nintendo Wii sells for $130 at GameStop, your asking Nintendo to sell their next generation home console for $20 more than their last generation console is selling at the end of it's lifetime. What you are asking for is unreasonable.

The reason families aren't buying WiiU is because Nintendo screwed up big time with marketing, it is more than a slight upgrade. The reason the WiiU isn't selling as well as the Wii is because the casual market has moved on. Nintendo should have dropped the Wii branding as it left a bad taste in the mouth of original Nintendo fans who moved to other platforms last generation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even Wii2 would have been a better naming choice than WiiU.

So you only care about the graphics? Hmm...

No, I have both. You missed my point. A Link Between Worlds is a top-down, 2D, bite sized Zelda game built for playing on a small screen and happens to be one of my favourite games from last year. Hell, I'd go even further and say that Link's Awakening on the GameBoy is one of my favourite games ever, I'd put it in my top 5. Maybe next time stop and think for a bit before accusing the dude with the Super Mario Kart opening screen as an Avatar of being a graphics whore. ;)

With that now out of the way, the Zelda they're building for the Wii U is a large, open world, cinematic game built for a large screen. They're entirely different games and entirely different experiences. If you think that having just the 3DS is going to cover all of the content Nintendo is producing here then you're going to miss out. When you play Kart or Smash Bros it won't be the social/party experience it can be. Yes you'll get a lot of traditional 2D-like games which is cool and you get some selection of them on both but you'll miss out on a lot of the bigger games. Here, I'll list it out to make it simpler for you.

These games you probably won't ever get on 3DS: Captain Toad, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda U, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, NES Remix

These games are on paper a yes/maybe but it's "not the same": Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros

These games have "equivalents" on 3DS: Shovel Knight, 1001 Spikes, DKC, New SMB U, Resident Evil Revelations, Pullblox, Shovel Knight (lots of indie stuffs)

These 3DS games probably won't land on Wii U: A Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Bravely Default, Professor Layton, Fire Emblem

For me? Yeah, I want to play Nintendo's versions of the large "modern" games as well as their "snack sized" experiences. When I sit down and play Wind Waker in HD on my 50" TV? That's nowhere near the same experience as playing Ocarina of Time 3D on a 3DS screen. Not to mention that games like Pikmin, Bayonetta 2, X and Splatoon won't even be available for the 3DS in any form. Plus when I play a game on a large TV I'm often sharing the experience with people around me. When I beat Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS I played the whole thing sitting down, by myself often with headphones on. Super Mario 3D World? That was on the TV with a group of people all playing together or at least being spectators. So before I even consider the fact that it was on much more powerful hardware they were not the same game

Seriously, this is a PC gaming forum. Odds are you probably have a gaming PC in some form even if it's held together with string. Do a little bit of steam in-home streaming and then try to tell me that playing a game on the couch with a couple of spectators is not the same experience as playing it in a closed room. Try it with something like Trine for local co-op if you can, in any case the visuals will be more or less identical unlike the 3DS -> Wii U difference. And then remember that Wii U games are often built specifically to exploit that difference ontop of the HD visuals. Do that, look at the list of games you're missing out on and THEN tell me that I only care about the improved visuals.

The reason families aren't buying WiiU is because Nintendo screwed up big time with marketing, it is more than a slight upgrade. The reason the WiiU isn't selling as well as the Wii is because the casual market has moved on. Nintendo should have dropped the Wii branding as it left a bad taste in the mouth of original Nintendo fans who moved to other platforms last generation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even Wii2 would have been a better naming choice than WiiU.

I'm not so sure about that. The failure was that of all the games I listed in my previous post maybe five or so are what I'd call system sellers. None of them were available at launch unless you want to stretch the definition of system seller to include New SMB. The first "system seller" to launch was Wind Waker HD, almost a year after launch and a port. It moved units but it was a port. The first "only on Wii U" system seller was Super Mario 3D World and that was a full year after launch. And again, people like the OP could turn their nose up and say they have the same game on 3DS. The first *real* system seller has been Mario Kart 8. Since Mario Kart 8 launched the Wii U has been the second best selling console globally. It's outselling the 360, PS3 and XBOne but it's still miles away from the PS4. But that's something.

The other system sellers? Zelda U is a while away but at least people know about it now, so that's something the Wii U didn't have last year. And Smash Bros is coming out this year alongside some solid filler with games like Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors. I don't understand why people think marketing was the problem when the thing didn't have much content at all. It's a pretty simple equation, no content -> no sales.

I'm not so sure about that. The failure was that of all the games I listed in my previous post maybe five or so are what I'd call system sellers. None of them were available at launch unless you want to stretch the definition of system seller to include New SMB. The first "system seller" to launch was Wind Waker HD, almost a year after launch and a port. It moved units but it was a port. The first "only on Wii U" system seller was Super Mario 3D World and that was a full year after launch. And again, people like the OP could turn their nose up and say they have the same game on 3DS. The first *real* system seller has been Mario Kart 8. Since Mario Kart 8 launched the Wii U has been the second best selling console globally. It's outselling the 360, PS3 and XBOne but it's still miles away from the PS4. But that's something.

The other system sellers? Zelda U is a while away but at least people know about it now, so that's something the Wii U didn't have last year. And Smash Bros is coming out this year alongside some solid filler with games like Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors. I don't understand why people think marketing was the problem when the thing didn't have much content at all. It's a pretty simple equation, no content -> no sales.

While I agree with you the marketing was also extremely bad, the mere naming choice made the console suffer as the average consumer even now probably is only starting to catch on that Nintendo has a new console. Your right though, they didn't have any system sellers when the console released which hurt it badly but it has lots of good games now, I was simply pointing out that it's not selling tremendously well now because of the consistantly bad marketing. I've never even scene a proper WiiU advertisement.

While I agree with you the marketing was also extremely bad, the mere naming choice made the console suffer as the average consumer even now probably is only starting to catch on that Nintendo has a new console. Your right though, they didn't have any system sellers when the console released which hurt it badly but it has lots of good games now, I was simply pointing out that it's not selling tremendously well now because of the consistantly bad marketing. I've never even scene a proper WiiU advertisement.

I just think the marketing excuse is a bit of a red herring. Do you really think people would have rushed out to buy New SMB U and Pikmin if only they knew it existed? The same thing happened with the 3DS. It was selling badly, people concluded it was all bad marketing and a poor name. Then they released 3D Land, Mario Kart and OoT 3D and all of a sudden it starts to sell. It ain't rocket science. Take a look at this:

Sales for the week ending 12th April 2013:

Wii U: 28k

XBOne: 61k

PS4: 146k

Mario Kart + Watch Dogs launch, 31st May 2014:

Wii U: 139k

XBOne: 50k

PS4: 181k

Post launch, dust has settled. 26th July 2014:

Wii U: 63k

XBOne: 55k

PS4: 117k

How can it still be argued that this is about marketing and not content after that? Also worth noting that over the above period of time the XBOne has had the Kinect removed from it. In Australia the most popular SKUs for each console are $548AU for the PS4, $498AU for the standalone XBOne and $419AU for the Wii U Deluxe with Mario Kart 8. So it's not a price thing and it's not a marketing thing because XBOne is marketed pretty well here. Clearly it's about content.