Anyone that has ever worked on an MMORPG?

Raxxdude

If there is someone that has worked on an mmo or similar game genre I would greatly appreciate any advice on where to get started and what the process was like during the development. Please do not reply with, "If you don't already know this you will never make the game", or any other discouraging remarks. Just real advice please. Also if anyone can either recommend a game engine that's best for mmo's or if I should just make my own that would be helpful

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

"If you don't already know this you will never make the game"

I didn't say it you did. :)

I do have the basic run down of where to start. I'm more looking for how someone else has seen the development process start in there particular project. I can get basic information on my own. The game engine thing has been a debate for myself so I decided to ask if someone else had an opinion.

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

Get a beefy-ass server. Google. If you are a good programmer/dev already I'd start working on being able to establish connection and passing input/output both ways.

I do have the basic run down of where to start. I'm more looking for how someone else has seen the development process start in there particular project. I can get basic information on my own. The game engine thing has been a debate for myself so I decided to ask if someone else had an opinion.

Could you give us a bit more information about the project?

It's not about posting discouraging stuff, it's about being realistic. A MMORPG is the hardest game type that you can (attempt to) create, what experience do you have? What are your goals? What's your budget?

Making your own game engine is probably out of the question, you'd spend years making an engine that can compete with what's available now, and even there you wouldn't have a game after these years of developpment. :P

I'm asking all these questions because I'd like to see in what context you're asking this. It's pointless to take a lot of time to give detailed answers if it's a one-man project and that you're attempting to make a MMORPG because "it looks fun". (I'm not saying that's you, but I'd like to know if it is ^^)

My goals are simply to expand the genre with new ideas. I know mmo's are extremely difficult to make. As of now I am not a one man team. But I don't have the largest staff. Only about 4 people in total. However others have expressed interest on being part of the project. I have been working with the ideas for years now and have up until now been working on my programming abilities. The budget can be expanded over time. Although that's a big portion of the game it's not really a problem to me because I will be able to come up with at least a decent amount of money. My current goal is to make a simple small portion of what the game would be to be Kickstarted. If I can get a small amount of game play out I would be happy. I'm not even looking for the multiplayer aspect, just kind of a small action fighting style game with skills to allow people to feel excited about the ideas I have.

#KilledMyWife  

If I were you, I would start simpler. I don't know how much experience you have in game development, but I can give you some pointers. The best piece of advise I have ever heard, is to not start on your dream game, but to start small and work up to your dream game. Learn the basics of networking and create something over LAN. And just keep improving on that. For your final game you will need to know about databases, servers, UDP packages, etc. MMO's are not an easy thing to make, but all you need is a lot of experience. If you are really dedicated, I am sure you can do eventually.

If you have never done any programming before, I would suggest learning C++ or Untiy3D and C#. C++ is the most used language when it comes to game engines, it does have a steep learning curve, but once you get used to it, you can make pretty much anything with it. Unty3D is great, because you can really easily make a simple game with just a little bit of C# and/or javascript.

(btw, I personally have never made an MMO, but I study game programming and have a fair amount of experience about how to make a games).

Thanks peeps for the suggestions. I am going to work on this project. You guys were helpful

#KilledMyWife