XPS12 vs. Surface Pro 3?

Does anyone have either one of them? I would like a list of pros and cons from both devices.

Thanks a lot.

Pros=XPS12

Cons=Surface 3

Surface has to many design flaws for my taste.

Well, Linus has a XPS 12, and compares practically everything to it. 

Here is his review on the Surface Pro 3

Pros=XPS12

Cons=Surface 3

Surface has to many design flaws for my taste.

That is pretty shit post if your trying to help OP

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jp

Its a lot more helpful than this ^

At least I stated why i didn't like it :P

This is my opinion as i have one which this is being typed from. Comparing the features the dell smashs the surface to pieces in 90% of the tasks and upgrading or repairing isnt a massive issue. Lastly Dell has the best customer service in the world, there is no question about that. Same day rma(for free) can anyone best that, didnt think so

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I would go for the dell. I don't like the idea of the surface, as it's too big for a tablet IMO and not designed well enough to be a laptop. The dell has a fully reposition able screen, whereas the Microsoft needs the screen to effectively be resting on something at all times in laptop mode. I'd personally choose the XPS12.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I would get the xps12 as I personally have to have a keyboard that is permanently attached, also the hinged screen of a laptop can stop at any angle whereas the surface has 3 angles.

If only we all could afford 8 SSD's in Raid 0  :wub:

I feel like the XPS12 makes less compromises.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I would get the xps12 as I personally have to have a keyboard that is permanently attached, also the hinged screen of a laptop can stop at any angle whereas the surface has 3 angles.

just putting out the, the surface 3 has more than 3 angles, it's basicly the same as a hinge on a laptop.

I am fine with tablets so long as they can do absolutely everything an equivalent PC can do (This is a reason I miss those Motion Computing tablets) But the surfaces for all their capabilities are not quite up to what they were trying to achieve with Motion Computing. Those, you could upgrade the RAM, the HDD (even to an SSD) and they had more than one USB port.

Surfaces have too many imperfections (still) and ordinary laptops beat them (almost completely) outright. Not a lot of people are going to want a computer that will not stay stable on their lap unless they hold it with one hand, and laptops have a much better capacity for battery power. Never mind an ultrabook like the XPS12, I can use my own, normal, 15.6" laptop. A surface pro 3 will get, what, 8-9 hours on a charge? my only slightly above-average laptop will manage that comfortably because I have an SSD in there. Bear in mind that this is a laptop with an A10. It is a volcano. Even so, If I wanted I could upgrade to a 9-cell battery and that would bolster the battery life easily to 12 hours, and even then after all the modding I have done to my laptop I have still spent significantly less than I would have on a bog-standard Surface Pro 3. Other than portability (which both are made for) I cannot see what makes the surface sell. You can't drive very many screens off of it, you can't game very well on it compared to a Shield (though you should easily be able to) and on top of that it's expensive to say the least. Name one thing the surface can do that a laptop cannot. just one.

Disclaimer - I own neither.

The Surface Pro is great for tablet things, that is

• Browsing the web
  • Emails
  • Media consumption

The XPS is great for laptop things

• Getting work done
  • Light gaming
  • Light content creation

Of course, they both can do the other types stuff, just not as well, so it depends on what you want more, creation or consumption.

Personally, I'd go for the XPS, but it's up to you.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

It's basically what you need.

XPS is a laptop first, it can be a tablet but it is primarily a laptop

The surface is a tablet first, it is powerful enough to act as a laptop but it is primarily a tablet. 

When faced with the same decision I chose XPS 12 because as a student I am in need of a laptop for classes and programming and a tablet for fun once in a while

EDIT: Just as an aside I've had a tablet for about a year now with a case that has a keyboard on it, I can't think of the last time I used that tablet without the case and keyboard, likely the same thing would happen with a surface. So it was easy for me to get a laptop over a tablet like device

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys, the main reason why I started looking at the Surface Pro is because of the stylus, I love the idea of taking notes in that way, or drawing things into my OneNote file, and drawing / writing on a tablet with your fingers is overall a bad experience. What either one of these would mostly be used for would be note taking in class, basicly using the whole Microsoft Office package, some light casual gaming for downtime in school and puplic transport.

XPS seems better as a sturdy typing experience for sure because it has an attached keyboard that won't bend or anything.

Where the surface comes into the mix is because of the weight and the stylus for note taking and drawing.

If anyone knows of a device that is some kind of a middle ground between the two I would love to hear about it.