Wifi Signal strength

I'm trying to diagnose my wireless signal. It feels very incosistant and weak. I have a TP-Link WN722N wireless adapater that's plugged into a D-Link USB thingy. So that it's away from my actual PC.

How can the results from Wi-Fi inspector vary so much from what windows and Tp-link say the wireless strength is at? After I moved my wireless adapter to an area that has higher signal strength according to Wi-Fi inspector the speed tanked to

post-18435-0-58478400-1407387086.png

from

post-18435-0-36918400-1407387303.png

Here's my speed according to Windows:

post-18435-0-28442200-1407386172.png

TP-Link utility:

post-18435-0-56649600-1407386182.png

And Wi-Fi Inspector:

post-18435-0-35798700-1407386184_thumb.p

There is probably things interfering with the signal. Do you have very thick walls in your place of residence?

Life.exe is missing

There is probably things interfering with the signal. Do you have very thick walls in your place of residence?

I'm not sure, I'm probably the furthest from the router as possible. The router is downstairs in the garage and I'm on the second floor. It does have to go through a lot of stuff to get to me.

I'm not sure, I'm probably the furthest from the router as possible. The router is downstairs in the garage and I'm on the second floor. It does have to go through a lot of stuff to get to me.

Well that explains it. The only way you can really fix it is if you try to get an Ethernet cord up there or move your pc closer to the router

Life.exe is missing

Well that explains it. The only way you can really fix it is if you try to get an Ethernet cord up there or move your pc closer to the router

but why would it show higher signal strength but provide lower speed? Sorry if this is a newb question.

By the way, you may not get full WiFi N speeds if using WPA. I recommend you switch to WPA2-AES. For the technical aspect, see: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration#Wireless_Security although I believe that this aplies in general to all WiFi N Access Points.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I'm trying to diagnose my wireless signal. It feels very incosistant and weak. I have a TP-Link WN722N wireless adapater that's plugged into a D-Link USB thingy. So that it's away from my actual PC.

How can the results from Wi-Fi inspector vary so much from what windows and Tp-link say the wireless strength is at? After I moved my wireless adapter to an area that has higher signal strength according to Wi-Fi inspector the speed tanked to

attachicon.gifslow speed.PNG

from

attachicon.gifslow speed2.PNG

Here's my speed according to Windows:

attachicon.gifWireless strength from Windows.png

TP-Link utility:

attachicon.gifwireless strength from TP-Link utility.png

And Wi-Fi Inspector:

attachicon.gifWireless strength from Wi-Fi Inspector.png

I would suggest, if you aren't willing to spend any money, to try these methods to boost your signal strength for free:

1. Look for any devices which could interfere with the signal of your router (2.4GHz). Appliances sich as microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, security alarms, TV remote controls, auto garage door remotes, etc. Basically anything with a radio wave signal
  2. Change your signal channel from 6 to (for example) 2
  3. Change your network's broadcast mode from 802.11a/802.11b/802.11g to 802.11n
  4. Reposition your router to the center of your house
  5. Buy a beer (I'm not joking). You can't increase the power output (and thus the signal strength) on most wireless routers, but you can use what you have more efficiently. Some metals reflect Wi-Fi signals, disrupting the path of a wireless network using an omni-directional antennas. You can harness that same property to focus the signal from an omni-directional antenna to aim it toward your computer or couch. You sacrifice area coverage, but you can boost the relative signal strength. All it takes is an empty beer can—okay, so not totally free, but whatever. Buy yourself a beer :D

If you want more details on how to actually perform step 5,

• First, empty the can, then rinse it thoroughly and pull off the tab.
  • Then, wearing gloves, use a box cutter or metal snips to slice off the bottom of the can. Next, do the same for the top of the can, but don't remove it completely—you need to leave a small tab, about an inch or so wide, attached to the top.
  • Then, opposite the tab, cut the can lengthwise and carefully pull back both sides. The flayed can should resemble a radar dish.
  • Turn the can upside-down, slide the mouth of the can over the router antenna, and secure it to the body of the router using a bit of tape.
  • If you want to get fussy with it, fold or file down the jagged metal edges.

Let me know if that helps

Spoiler
  • CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Motherboard:  MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi
  • RAM:  G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 Memory @ 6000MHz
  • Graphics:  Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ultra W OC 8G-V
  • StorageKingston KC3000 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD; Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Disk Drive @ 7200rpm
  • PSU:  Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Keyboard: Cooler Master CK550 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/Gateron Red switches
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O- Wireless @ 1600dpi, 1000Hz
  • DAC: JDS Labs OL DAC
  • AMP: JDS Labs O2 AMP
  • Headphones: Hifiman HE-400I w/ZMF Ori Lambskin pads
  • Soundbar: Creative Sound BlasterX Katana
  • Monitor 1: BenQ EL2870U @ 3840 x 2160, 60Hz
  • Monitor 2ASUS Predator XB252Q @ 1920 x 1080, 240Hz
  • Monitor 3AOC G2460 PQU @ 1080 x 1920, 144Hz