Effect of dye on a loop

I wasn't sure this quite fit with the current "coolant" discussion topic, so into a fresh topic it goes.

Right now as coolant, I'm using ultrapure water (RO from a laboratory), mixed with DazMode's Protector additive (something with ethelyne glycol, which they say acts as a biocide and a corrosion inhibitor).  I recently picked up a bottle of Feser View UV dye (which the product page specifically says it's compatible with), and I'm using Feser tubing.

Still haven't added it yet (holding off until my lighting shows up) - is just the dye itself likely to have any negative effects on the loop?

I looked into dye for a while and decided not to use it. Just have distiled water and a silver kill coil. Dyes always seam to break down and clog the small paths(cant think of the right word) in the heat sinks. In the end it is up to you, with dye you may have to open and clean it every now and then.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

A dye may cause problems such as building up chunks of color particles and blocking flow or something.

Also you will have to change your coolant more frequently.

But the danger of adding dye is about the same as using colored coolant to begin with. I am using Mayhems Pastel which is probably the most colored coolant out there but I havn't noticed any problems so far.

Also the less dye you add the lower the probability of an issue.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Good quality dyes (non-UV) won't really have a big effect until it approaches the end of its lifespan which is typically around 9-12 months.

UV dyes on the other hand are a different thing. Not only do they stain everything they touch but they also have a faster rate of degradation. Sometimes they even settle if the loop is not circulated for an extended period.

I have used dyes in many builds (mayhems). Right off the bat, ALL dye stains tubing no matter what you use. It is not a problem at all when you go to refilling your loop, as you cannot tell at all. I have never had any build ups of gunk or anything in my blocks, and my blocks have always been easy to clean the dye residue off.

I have noticed that UV Reactive dyes tend to stain the tubing a lot quicker than standard dye though.

In the real world, the only negative affect you will have in your build is stained tubing over time. It took about 6 months for my tubing to have a "green" tinge to it but only noticed AFTER I had drained the loop.

Laboratory grade water is acidic because it dissociates into H+ and OH-. That would be the only thing I would be worried about.

But then again the water will lose most of its purity as soon as you pour it into a loop and especially after adding the additives.

Dyes don't have any negative effects as such because they are present in such small amounts. You only need a couple of drops.

So no is the answer to your original question.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

the dye can stain tubing over the space of a few months. i have had the issue of a cpu block getting partially clogged by a build up of dye gunk. and lastly some cheaper dyes on cheaper blocks can cause corrosion on the inside of the block which isnt good

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

the dye can stain tubing over the space of a few months. i have had the issue of a cpu block getting partially clogged by a build up of dye gunk. and lastly some cheaper dyes on cheaper blocks can cause corrosion on the inside of the block which isnt good

Afaik dye doesn't cause gunk. Its mostly dye colours plasticizer leeching and that is not cause by dye. It would be white gunk if the dye was not present int he tubing or coolant.

And dye cannot cause corrosion. You add it in such small amounts (a few drops) that it could never change the pH of the loop significantly or anything else chemically in it.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.