N780 lightning Sli

Go to solution Solved by Jenna Haze,

MSI got back to me in under an hour... on Facebook. I had to uninstall the devices in the device manager. Then search for hardware changes. Fixed and working fine. Fun times beating 94% of Firestrike Extreme results  :D

I just got a second 780 lightning. I ran the first card switched to the second bios. LN2 mode. Before you freak it out it, I was having stability issues on the first bios. In LN2 mode the card uses all power phases all the time and this seems to have solved the stability issues i had when games started up. Now with the second card in, in LN2 mode. My PC wont pick up the second card. In fact it wont let me even start the nvidia control panel to turn SLI on. So I switched the second card back to normal bios. It picks up the second card and I can turn on SLI. But now i get the crashes on game start up like i had before. So why cant i have both cards on LN2 mode for SLI? SAVE ME! SAVE ME! SAVE ME! SAVE ME! I NEEEEEEEEEEEED MY HIGH OC

I have a Mpower Z77 Mobo. 3770K. 

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

I just got a second 780 lightning. I ran the first card switched to the second bios. LN2 mode. Before you freak it out it, I was having stability issues on the first bios. In LN2 mode the card uses all power phases all the time and this seems to have solved the stability issues i had when games started up. Now with the second card in, in LN2 mode. My PC wont pick up the second card. In fact it wont let me even start the nvidia control panel to turn SLI on. So I switched the second card back to normal bios. It picks up the second card and I can turn on SLI. But now i get the crashes on game start up like i had before. So why cant i have both cards on LN2 mode for SLI? SAVE ME! SAVE ME! SAVE ME! SAVE ME! I NEEEEEEEEEEEED MY HIGH OC

Unless you are using liquid nitrogen it doesn't help at all so don't put it into LN2 mode.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

@richaxes has the same setup as you

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Unless you are using liquid nitrogen it doesn't help at all so don't put it into LN2 mode.

Again, it does.... I have it. Same clock speed. One crashes on start up of games, one doesn't. 

Again, it does.... I have it. Same clock speed. One crashes on start up of games, one doesn't. 

Again, it does what?  

On the normal bios the card will only run minimal power phases to save power while it idles. In LN2 mode all power phases are keep running at all times. You can see this on the card as it lights up phases in uses them. Its the same with their mobo with CPU power phases. For more stable overclocking, phase steeping is turned off to ensure the core (or CPU in the mobo case) can draw the power it needs straight away.

Did you read his post? Turning on LN2 mode activates all phases for more stability.

Linus had trouble with stability on the EVGA 780 Ti K|NGP|N and the MSI Lightning R9 290X cards, but he booted them in LN2 mode and they had no issues.

@Jenna Haze I see where you're getting that from. Apparently the 780 Lightning has lots of issues with the software, especially with SLI.

I read his post and saw SLI was not working with LN2 mode.  Duh!

.... and the bottom line is LN2 mode is not working when he is trying SLI and even with one card he shouldn't even be using it anyway as I don't think he is cooling with liquid nitrogen.  Are you cooling with liquid nitrogen OP?

Did you read his post? Turning on LN2 mode activates all phases for more stability.

Linus had trouble with stability on the EVGA 780 Ti K|NGP|N and the MSI Lightning R9 290X cards, but he booted them in LN2 mode and they had no issues.

@Jenna Haze I see where you're getting that from. Apparently the 780 Lightning has lots of issues with the software, especially with SLI.

Sooo all I can do is wait for some kind of angle with a magical software sollution... :(

Where the hell is slick when you need him?! lol

Sooo all I can do is wait for some kind of angle with a magical software sollution... :(

Where the hell is slick when you need him?! lol

Slick got fired about 4 times already, so I think he's picking up nickels on the ground.

I read his post and saw SLI was not working with LN2 mode.  Duh!

.... and the bottom line is LN2 mode is not working when he is trying SLI and even with one card he shouldn't even be using it anyway as I don't think he is cooling with liquid nitrogen.  Are you cooling with liquid nitrogen OP?

No im not but if im not cranking the power past what the cooler can do, why does it matter if i want to use LN2 mode? Other than it being more stable..

With something that expensive, waiting for software solution is sucks a ton. You pay so much money and can't use your cards? I'd call up the company I bought them from and send them for a refund, if they refuse call up MSI and ask them to either replace them with working ones or different models......

It's like you buy a bugatti veyron for a million £ and the engine doesn't turn on lol, you would immediately get it replaced...

No im not but if im not cranking the power past what the cooler can do, why does it matter if i want to use LN2 mode? Other than it being more stable..

If you searched the net like I did you would have seen people mentioning all sorts of problems with LN2 mode when not using it for it's designed purpose.

bump it real good

just noticed in gpuz that when both are set to original bios, one has version 80.80.21.00.36 and the other has 80.80.21.00.73.
could this be the problem. The original card could have an outdated bios?

MSI got back to me in under an hour... on Facebook. I had to uninstall the devices in the device manager. Then search for hardware changes. Fixed and working fine. Fun times beating 94% of Firestrike Extreme results  :D