Will you be buying the one of the next generation GPUs?

The next generation of GeForce cards from Nvidia seems intriguing, but I find the rumors of a 256-bit bus to be odd.  Surely, this cannot be intended for the whole lineup of cards?  I would hope that the flagship card has at least a 384-bit bus and 4 GB+ of VRAM, especially with 4K becoming a thing.  Thoughts?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Yes. I will

my 760 is fine and everything, but I really want to put my 144hz monitor to use more often

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

No, I won't buy another card until the 1100 series probably. I'll make a whole new build then.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Depends. I might get the 880 if it's the fancy Maxwell stuff, but the rest (870 and lower) are more then likely to be rebranded cards

"Rawr XD"

Wouldn't buy one unless the specs are really good. Most likely i would buy a next gen amd gpu and crossfire it with my r9 270x.

If the new cards are released with a pricepoint around the 500$ mark, absolutely.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

if the 880 beats out the 780ti by enough or at all then yes. :) 

Depends how well they perform, if well, I'll probably get 2x 880 Ti's. If not, I'll get another 780

Yes. I will

my 760 is fine and everything, but I really want to put my 144hz monitor to use more often

I feel you bro , 760 msi . Would have to get a job to afford a 800 series gpu .

Probably not, I got a 780 when they came out and I only run games at 1080 or 5760x1080 sometimes so I really dont need a better card now until 4k becomes more mature and I get a 4k monitor.

Edit: However, if they perform amazing compared to the 780 and the price is reasonable, I can see myself getting the 880/ti

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I'll probably be upgrading to 4k sometime in the next 6-12 months or so, perfect timing for whatever NVidia and AMD have coming up. Going to wait to see 4k performance of each, was convinced about the GTX 880 but the 256bit memory bus rumour is still putting me off.

It would have to be amazing. Also waiting for 4k monitors to mature and dp1.3 arrival. Until then I'm not wholly impressed.

IMO 1440p 144hz @ 1ms is vastly superior than slugging on a 4k. All dem pixels aren't necessary. 1080p still has a ways to go anyways.

The next generation of GeForce cards from Nvidia seems intriguing, but I find the rumors of a 256-bit bus to be odd.  Surely, this cannot be intended for the whole lineup of cards?  I would hope that the flagship card has at least a 384-bit bus and 4 GB+ of VRAM, especially with 4K becoming a thing.  Thoughts?

Not until 20nm GPU's. Anything else is simply a re-brand/minor modification of 3-4 year old technology.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

For sure I´ll buy a card because I want to benchmark it myself and compare it to the current highend cards I´ve got. But only the biggest GM204 chip. I´m not interested in med/low spec GPUs. BTW you will not see a 384 BIT memory interface with 4 GB RAM this is simply not possibly either 256 or 512 BIT can handle 2/4/8 GB VRAM. 192/384 handles 1,5/3/6 GB VRAM.

I think this could be funny whilst waiting for the GM200 chip and AMDs with whatever they come up with.

I don´t see a problem with the 256 BIT because nVidia will definetely not take a step back in the past with a new chip, since they have a way bigger L2 cache. This is not some kind of rebrand with the GM204 even though it will be in 28nm. Maxwell is not Kepler. How much performance these chips will bring remains to be seen. And as long as the cards are not launched no one will know for sure.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Not anytime soon, I have a pair of 780tis that should service me well for the next year or two... though I appreciate their move to focus on efficiency. Less power means less heat which means GPU heatsink sizes can plateau off somewhat. Seriously, we have to be nearing the limit of how big you can make these things and still be able to fit 2+ cards in one PC. Look at the size of a 2002 Radeon 9700 pro vs the size of a 2012 HD7970. It's gotten kind of crazy.

After I see how they perform and their cost, I will make the choice to step up or SLI with a other 760 to hold off till the 900 series.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Nope I like hardware but don't see the point of upgrading every time something newer and shinier comes out ( not because I don't want to because I REALLY WANT TO but because of money, since I have none.)

Eat Moe Beef

1) Will you be buying the one of the next generation GPUs?

2) The next generation of GeForce cards from Nvidia seems intriguing, but I find the rumors of a 256-bit bus to be odd. 

Surely, this cannot be intended for the whole lineup of cards? 

3) I would hope that the flagship card has at least a 384-bit bus and 4 GB+ of VRAM,

especially with 4K becoming a thing.  Thoughts?

1) nop  :lol:

2) yea but, if there is one company capable to launch a s 256 bits card (with a s "2GB" of Vram), that is nvidia  :blush:

3) the ram size comes with the bits (so to speak), keep an eye on my next table  :ph34r:

128 bits = 512MB or 1GB or 2GB or 3GB or 4GB (is all easy here)

256 bits = 1GB or 2GB or 4GB (not 3GB) or 8GB

384 bits = 768MB (not 1GB) or 1.5GB (not 2GB) or 3GB (not 4GB) or 6GB or 12GB

512 bits = (well, you get the point)  ^_^

we can do a good guess if we know how much Vram the 880 will have on how much bits they will use

and so far (to me at least)... does not look good  <_<

Maybe. I'm doing my first build in September, if we know when these cards are coming and pricing then I'll maybe hold off for an extra month. If not then I'll just get a 290.

1) nop  :lol:

2) yea but, if there is one company capable to launch a s 256 bits card (with a s "2GB" of Vram), that is nvidia  :blush:

3) the ram size comes with the bits (so to speak), keep an eye on my next table  :ph34r:

128 bits = 512MB or 1GB or 2GB or 3GB or 4GB (is all easy here)

256 bits = 1GB or 2GB or 4GB (not 3GB) or 8GB

384 bits = 768MB (not 1GB) or 1.5GB (not 2GB) or 3GB (not 4GB) or 6GB or 12GB

512 bits = (well, you get the point)  ^_^

we can do a good guess if we know how much Vram the 880 will have on how much bits they will use

and so far (to me at least)... does not look good  <_<

dont forget the weirdass 192bit bus of the 660. such a funky memory layout, with the 3gb version making more sense than the 2gb.

but no, next gen will be a sidegrade. 2016 upgrade makes sense at this point for me.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I may just add another 780 Ti.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X