Windows 8 Power Issues

MTROB

I have recently done a clean install of Windows 8 Full version 64 bit on a new system. But since the start it has not been shutting down properly. On the screen its says "Shutting Down" then the screen goes blank as there is no input, but the power light on my case stays on and the fans, and water cooling stay on. I have waited to see if they would eventually go off, but they don't. I have tried disabling fast start up in the power options part of control panel and that has not worked. I am now going to try and update some drivers (BIOS) for my mother board (Asus Sabertooth Z77) but would like to know if there are other things I should try, or if its different drivers I should update.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

Interesting problem. I would definitly update the BIOS/UEFI, and make double sure you have the latest drivers for every component in your computer including motherboard.

If that doesn't help, maybe you can see if there is any error on Windows Event Viewer (Win+W -> type: event -> select: View event logs)

Thanks I will try the BIOS update.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

Updated the BIOS to the latest version. The computer still won't shut off.

Right now I am considering reloading the OS...

Windows 8 can download and install updates while "shut down". It's a feature designed for laptops that doesn't quite integrate well with Desktop PCs, like other features of the OS. While I'm not sure this is your problem, try changing some settings described here:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-update-settings-windows-8.htm

Best of luck!

I will try that, but if that does not work I am going to reload the OS and install the drivers from the Mother board support disk. Then I will update the chipset and a few other drivers.

Thanks for the advice. It did not work so I am going to try reloading the OS.

Reloaded the OS it did not work, but I have a question, is it bad if I turn off the computer by the power button when windows is shut down so I don't corrupt the OS, but will that harm the hardware?

It will not harm the hardware, but if Windows does something, you may corrupt things.

Something is broken in your computer. Either the PSU or the motherboard is not understanding the ATX standard call from Windows to turn your system off.

I would like to confirm that Windows 7 turns off correctly on your system. See if you can get old HDD to replace your current, and install Windows 7 (no need to activate it.. it's just for testing).

If that works, than Windows 8 is the problem. After some research it would seam you are not alone with this issue.

The general solutions are to disable fast boot feature, get the latest driver, BIOS update, reset BIOS setting (select: Load Optimize default reset SATA controller mode, and HPET to 64-bit, if you have that options afterwards so that Windows will boot again, and not lead you a BSOD), try different drivers (older or latest beta ones).

Here is something else to try.

-> Go in SafeMode in Windows 8. Now shut down your computer. Does it work there?

I will have to wait to try Windows 7, but I did try safe mode but the computer just locks up when trying to shut down. I loaded the optimized defaults in the BIOS but that did not help either. The computer restarts fine its just shutdown.

The following fix was given by Microsoft on Windows 8 Release Preview and supposed to be fix now. Maybe it will work for you, despite supposedly fix:

Open the Command Prompt as true Administrator (elevated), and type: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

and hit Enter.

Now restart your computer, and then try to shut it down.

If that doesn't help, look at Windows Event Viewer, do you see any error that occurred at the time you last shutdown. If so, what is it?

Something to check. Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If so, stop and disable Nvidia service. Does that help? For some reason some people reported that does help.

(it must be noted that I don't have this problem on my side, and I have Nvidia service fully enabled).

I tried the command that didn't work. I then checked the logs and there was no errors. It said that the last shutdown was success full and the boot was successful. This leads me to believe that windows is shutting down properly but is not communicating with the mother board to shutdown properly, but it works for restarts just fine.

I am looking for my old windows 7 disk that I will load onto the second hard drive in this computer.