New small form factor built - which case to use

Mooru

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to build a small pc. The only thing it needs to be capable is web browsing and simple programs like Office.

The goal of the build is cheap but efficient.

This is what I've come up with so for.

CPU: i3-2220 3.3 GHz

MOBO: Asus P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

HDD: Western Digital Green 500 GB

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 300 W

Any thougts on this build are welcome.

1 Stick of RAM so if needs be it can be upgraded.

It's a H61 chip but already supports Ivy bridge without updating the BIOS so that's good.

Been debating a small SSD instead of the HDD to make it snappy. Just not sure if it's worth it in this build.

What my real problem is, is which case to get.

It's gonna be tucked away in a corner somewhere so it doesn't have to be very pretty.

I'm just looking for decent buildquality at a decent price. I'm considering 40-50 dollars for the case.

All suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

Mooru

I'd get an AMD APU and rebuild from that up. What is your budget? Also for a decent SFF you kind of need to spend a little bit more than you want. Are you looking for like an HTPC case, or just a small case?

I thought about the AMD ones. Wasn't really sure on what to get. It would only really change the motherboard and cpu.

Considering the the AMD APU's graphics performance I will do that.

The budget is 300-350 euro. So make that like 400 dollar tops.

It's not gonna be a HTPC. It'll be used 99% of the time for simply browsing the web.

So basicly it has to be cheap, but I want it it to be decent buildquality, so when I open the case I don't break something instantly :p

Thanks for the reply

If you just need an office PC I would definitely use an AMD APU and that will give you better graphics and it is still a fast processor. I think that the list Helltech made is a great build.

I agree with the APU idea. If you do end up going that route though, try to get a mobo that can support higher speed memory (like 1866mhz). The APU's graphics benefit greatly from the higher speed RAM.

For a small case in that price range, you could try the Cooler Master Elite 120 Mini ITX case.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I would suggest the Fractal Design Node 304, but finding a mITX motherboard with a socket FM2 motherboard with the A85X chipset might not be easy..

but there is a few if you can live with the A75X chipset.. :)

(Comming soon)

The build posted above is awesome....just get those parts and put them together and be happy!! :)

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I would suggest the Fractal Design Node 304' date=' but finding a mITX motherboard with a socket FM2 motherboard with the A85X chipset might not be easy.. but there is a few if you can live with the A75X chipset.. :) [/quote']

He only needs the machine to do stuff like web browsing and office stuff. Isn't the Node 304 a bit too big? Maybe the FT-03 mini would be better suited.

La`~

I would suggest the Fractal Design Node 304' date=' but finding a mITX motherboard with a socket FM2 motherboard with the A85X chipset might not be easy.. but there is a few if you can live with the A75X chipset.. :) [/quote'] He only needs the machine to do stuff like web browsing and office stuff. Isn't the Node 304 a bit too big? Maybe the FT-03 mini would be better suited.

Node 304 Dimensions:

250 x 210 x 374 (W x H x D)

FT-03 Mini Dimensions: (W x H x D)

188.9 x 397 x 235.1

So the Node 304 is not much bigger. Imo the Node offers better expandibility with harddrives (though it has no 5.25" bay) but then again the FT-03 mini has good and simple cooling..

guess it depends on who is getting it, if it where me, then I would go with the Node. But if he cant find a mITX board he likes then it doesnt really matter.. :)

(Comming soon)

I would suggest the Fractal Design Node 304' date=' but finding a mITX motherboard with a socket FM2 motherboard with the A85X chipset might not be easy.. but there is a few if you can live with the A75X chipset.. :) [/quote'] He only needs the machine to do stuff like web browsing and office stuff. Isn't the Node 304 a bit too big? Maybe the FT-03 mini would be better suited.
Node 304 Dimensions: 250 x 210 x 374 (W x H x D) FT-03 Mini Dimensions: (W x H x D) 188.9 x 397 x 235.1 So the Node 304 is not much bigger. Imo the Node offers better expandibility with harddrives (though it has no 5.25" bay) but then again the FT-03 mini has good and simple cooling.. guess it depends on who is getting it, if it where me, then I would go with the Node. But if he cant find a mITX board he likes then it doesnt really matter.. :)

ahaha yea, I only mentioned the FT03mini because he did mention wanting to put it in a corner. I do have the node 304 myself and would daresay that the FT03 would be better in a corner since the node has vents on the sides. The node also isn't elevated that much so the bottom vent is almost useless. But like you said, it does give the option to turn it into something like a home server in the future w/ the extra hdd space.

La`~

• 2 months later...

You cant use a micro ATX motherboard dude.

can I suggest a SLIM h61 mobo with integrated psu in a minibox m350?

it cannot get smaller than that (excluding a NUC)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB