How long will the New i74790k last for its generation

Ok guys i just want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. My guess will be between 3-5 years maybe less. Technology is developing pretty fast how long do you guys think?

CPU:I7-4790K @ 4.8ghz MOTHERBOARD:MSI-Z97-G45 Ram:G-SKILL SNIPER 8GB 1866 GPU:Msi GTX 970 4G COOLER:PHANTEK PH TC14PE BK 3 FAN CONFIG PSU:Roswell Lightning 1300W HDD: 1TB WD, 2TB SEGATE Mushkin 120GB SSD CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 922

2-3 years. Depends on the usage really.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Best case - 4 years

Worst case 2 years

meh case - 3.69 years

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Hello

Due to the fact that the devils canyon is just a slight improvement on the old haswell processors they will last as long as haswell and maybe a little longer. With the release of broadwell coming soon I would guess that they should last 3 years. Depending on your usage scenario this could be longer or shorter. It really depends. 

Hope this helps. :)

Ok guys i just want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. My guess will be between 3-5 years maybe less. Technology is developing pretty fast how long do you guys think?

A hard thing to predict. DDR4 is around the corner and who knows what that will bring. I believe we will always want more and to do thing faster but at the present moment I would argue that stuff back in the intel core i5/i7 900 series has held up well enough to handle just about everything gaming wise and that is 4-5 years ago. There hasn't been a huge leap in performance in a while from intel. Whether its because silicon is becoming harder to push or AMD isn't pushing them as hard it just hasn't happened. I would say 3-5 years is probably a safe bet and I would wager you would want to upgrade probably within the 4 year range if you get the itch to do so not that you'd need to.

A hard thing to predict. DDR4 is around the corner and who knows what that will bring. I believe we will always want more and to do thing faster but at the present moment I would argue that stuff back in the intel core i5/i7 900 series has held up well enough to handle just about everything gaming wise and that is 4-5 years ago. There hasn't been a huge leap in performance in a while from intel. Whether its because silicon is becoming harder to push or AMD isn't pushing them as hard it just hasn't happened. I would say 3-5 years is probably a safe bet and I would wager you would want to upgrade probably within the 4 year range if you get the itch to do so not that you'd need to.

sadly ill probably just up grade after all the bugs are worked out of broad-well lol 

CPU:I7-4790K @ 4.8ghz MOTHERBOARD:MSI-Z97-G45 Ram:G-SKILL SNIPER 8GB 1866 GPU:Msi GTX 970 4G COOLER:PHANTEK PH TC14PE BK 3 FAN CONFIG PSU:Roswell Lightning 1300W HDD: 1TB WD, 2TB SEGATE Mushkin 120GB SSD CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 922

The i7-2600K is still a great performer and is 3 years old, and I don't think Broadwell will make it irrelevant either, so I'd say it's got a good four years.

Unless we work out something revolutionary in CPUs (I'm talking Pentium 4 to Core 2 type revolutionary), It'll be fine for a number of years

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

The i7-2600K is still a great performer and is 3 years old, and I don't think Broadwell will make it irrelevant either, so I'd say it's got a good four years.

Unless we work out something revolutionary in CPUs (I'm talking Pentium 4 to Core 2 type revolutionary), It'll be fine for a number of years

i remember that break threw like yesterday lol i upgraded from my old 64bit amd 3200+ to the quad core q9650 and have been an intel fan boy ever since. i love there performance and warranty they supply.

i remember that break threw like yesterday lol i upgraded from my old 64bit amd 3200+ to the quad core q9650 and have been an intel fan boy ever since. i love there performance and warranty they supply.

I did something similar I moved from a AMD FX 55 to a intel core 2 duo E6750 felt like a huge leap. Still miss AMD socket 939 dominance though :)

I did something similar I moved from a AMD FX 55 to a intel core 2 duo E6750 felt like a huge leap. Still miss AMD socket 939 dominance though :)

yep amd was the shit back in 2005 area i thought i was top dog among my friends in high school. 

yep amd was the shit back in 2005 area i thought i was top dog among my friends in high school. 

I want to say I started back in 2003 or 4 I can't recall I started off with a Amd Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego core then later on I got the FX 55 because it was on sale and wanted the cool grey box back in the day :P

I recently upgraded from a i5 2500k to a i7 4790k . I got the itch after I want to say 3-4 years to get something new. While I know it isn't a huge leap forward I wanted to get something higher end before started a car loan which I'll be taking on soon. I also wanted to try a higher end board my ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 while it may be a nice middle of the line board isn't super feature rich and isn't as stable I'm sure as the Z97 ROG hero I'm going to install with my i7 4790k. I'm of the mind that you should consider 1 of the 2 possibilities you get the refined DDR3 CPU which appears to be either Haswell or Broadwell, or you get the 2nd or gen DDR4 CPU which may be after skylake granted you don't go into socket 2011.

It depends on your own personal use and upgrade cycle.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

It depends on what you do.

If just browsing the web, then even a Nehalem chip would handle it pretty well.

if you are a gamer, Sandy Bridge is still perfectly fine.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.