Voltages for Intels i7 4930K

Hi guys,

I've got some questions about the voltages the CPU (4930K) runs at. I had a look at the datasheet for the processor

and it says at a page 63 Table 7-8 that the Vcc is in between -0.3 to 1.4 Volts. Further down the document another Table 7-10 on page 64

says that Vcc VID Range is from 0.6 to 1.35 Volts. As far I know the VID communicates with the VRM to get the standard voltages from the VRM to power the CPU whereas the CPU has the basic information stored in it so it tells the VRM "safe" information (not manually changed).

But I don't really understand why the Voltage ranges differ in those two tables. Initially I was looking for the maximum voltage the CPU

should get for long term reliability. Funnily enough an internet hardware shop tells me that the Voltage for the CPU is in between 1.35 to 1.6 Volts. What the heck is the right Voltage to power the CPU?! ;)

The datasheet: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/4th-gen-core-i7-lga2011-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

If anyone with a good understanding of pc architecture would enlighten me or at least recommend a good book about pc architecture I would

appreciate that!!! I'm going to study computer science next term, maybe that will help a bit ;)

Thanks!

Best, Michi

@sauerkraut

Most of this was way over my head, but if I assume that you're looking for a safe vcore voltage for overclocking, I might be able to help you there.  

VCore and VCCSA are different voltages, and unless you're pushing your CPU to the limit in overclocking, I think upping the VCCSA voltage does not do much.  I found that it didn't particularly help or hinder my overclock when I fiddled with it.  

VCore is the voltage that you change for overclocking.  

For the 3930k, the general consensus was that a vcore below 1.4V was good for a 24/7 overclock.  Personally I have my 3930K at 4.5 GHz at 1.325V.  Unless you're on a really good water cooling loop, you'll probably be temperature limited before anything else.  I decided to keep mine below 1.33V and about 75C, but that's probably "too hot" for a lot of people.  

Ivy Bridge-E (4930K) was pretty similar to SB-E for overclocking (as I understand it), so keeping it below 1.4V is probably a good idea.  

1.6V is ludicrous, don't do that.  You will obliterate your CPU.  I can't remember offhand what the "stock" voltage for my CPU was, but I want to say that it was about 1.25V.  It sounds a lot like that internet hardware shop doesn't know what they hell they're talking about.  I can't think of a CPU that used that range of voltage (1.35-1.6V).  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Thank you for the information! I'll be careful with overclocking anyway but since I got an unlocked processor I surely will do it a little bit.

Yes, I wanted to know about the max Vcore initially so thank you for the 1.4V info :D

Have you already tried the 4-way optimization that comes with newer Asus boards? JJ from Asus shows how it is done and it looks simple and safe.

Thank you for the information! I'll be careful with overclocking anyway but since I got an unlocked processor I surely will do it a little bit.

Yes, I wanted to know about the max Vcore initially so thank you for the 1.4V info :D

Have you already tried the 4-way optimization that comes with newer Asus boards? JJ from Asus shows how it is done and it looks simple and safe.

I haven't as my ITX Z97 board doesn't feature it, but it seems pretty good to establish a base line overclock to work with.

The 4-way optimization is okay, but not great.  It will way overvolt for the multiplier you get.  Manual will give you a much more efficient, probably cooler, overclock.  

Make sure you set your Load-Line Calibration before overclocking.  

Which board are you using?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

The 4-way optimization is okay, but not great.  It will way overvolt for the multiplier you get.  Manual will give you a much more efficient, probably cooler, overclock.  

Make sure you set your Load-Line Calibration before overclocking.  

Which board are you using?

An Asus x79-deluxe. Should be here next week. Last part I am waiting for ;)

• 2 years later...