Guts of the xbox one

How would moving the OS to SSD (or anywhere) make it faster? Its currently embedded into a chip, right? Embedded is the fastest you're going to get. Use SSD for caching.

I didn't know where the OS was stored, but a SSD would still load installed games faster than a HDD.

I didn't know where the OS was stored, but a SSD would still load installed games faster than a HDD.

True.  Better to load your games from an SSD than an HDD in most cases but you really cannot move the OS if it is embedded. 

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

True.  Better to load your games from an SSD than an HDD in most cases but you really cannot move the OS if it is embedded.

the os is stored on the mobo isn't it? How else would le xbox boot when you install a new hdd or something?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

the os is stored on the mobo isn't it? How else would le xbox boot when you install a new hdd or something?

Right.  On the motherboard embedded into a chip.

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

Here is a high-res image of the Xbox One

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6972/20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014.jpg

Looks like the fan draws in air through the heatsink thins and then blows it out the case.

Looks like a real piece of low-end junk. 

Where are they hiding the power supply or is it an external brick like for a laptop?   Seems like with 8 cores and that much cooling you would need something more robust and therefore larger.  

Also, I may just be picky but the SATA cable is in a bind.  Too short.  It is bending the pins towards the drive.  They may fix that in product but if not and I owned a ONE I would have to swap out the cable.  :)

Where are they hiding the power supply or is it an external brick like for a laptop? Seems like with 8 cores and that much cooling you would need something more robust and therefore larger.

Also, I may just be picky but the SATA cable is in a bind. Too short. It is bending the pins towards the drive. They may fix that in product but if not and I owned a ONE I would have to swap out the cable. :)

Looks like a proprietary connector on the far left.

XboxOneRear.jpg?itok=Uf-4aGdU

Does the Kinect get power from the One? If not, one would hope the power brick would supply both units...

Also, I may just be picky but the SATA cable is in a bind.  Too short.  It is bending the pins towards the drive.  They may fix that in product but if not and I owned a ONE I would have to swap out the cable.  :)

On top of the disc drive there is a big sticker saying "Engineering Sample"...

I can also see the PSU as external because that power connector looks like a DC input.

Yeah I saw the sticker. Your point? You don't mean to say they give out engineering samples that aren't almost identical to the real product? That would be misleading.

If it is an external brick then they really aren't giving it much power. You don't get much current/wattage out of those. Probably will have stability issues.

Yeah I saw the sticker. Your point? You don't mean to say they give out engineering samples that aren't almost identical to the real product? That would be misleading.

If it is an external brick then they really aren't giving it much power. You don't get much current/wattage out of those. Probably will have stability issues.

I'm saying that engineering samples will be rough in a few areas. These are consoles are for testing.

The power bricks don't need to supply large amounts of power. The launch era (Xenon) Xbox 360 consumed around 175W under load in games while the PSU was rated at 200W. I can see the PS4 and Xbox One using a lot less than that under load now that processors are a lot smaller.

Good points. Also made me thunk of Haswell with its low current demands. Low power is feasible.

LOL - it seems like the current headphone jack isn't even capable with the new xbox :D 

xbox-back-640x426.jpeg

Mobo: GA-990XA-UD3 / Cpu: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.4Ghz / Memory: 2x4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz patriot intel extreme masters

VGA: xfx HD R7870 2GB  HDD: WD Black 1TB

Power Supply: Cx 500 Watts 80+ Bronze / Case: Corsair 200R / Cooler: Coolmaster 212 Evo

The One or the PS4 aren't going to use that much power. Might be 8 cores but they are clocked so low, not much voltages goes through them.