Display Port

Silver Sand
Go to solution Solved by Silver Sand,

Ok, when you install that GPU you will connect Display Port between your monitor and the GPU and you'll be all set. Have FUN!

Thanks!

Hello,

So, I have a BenQ XL2720Z and my motherboard is a MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming.

The motherboard does not have a display port function, BenQ XL2720Z operates best with this option right?

Is it possible to put a converter inbetween or something? My knowledge is not that well regarding these kind of things.

I sure hope someone could help me, because display port 1.2 does make a difference! (So i heard), otherwise if it is not at all possible, what should i do? 

BenQ does have D-Sub (VGA), DVI-D, HDMI (2x) thought the display port would be best?

Thanks!

Do you have a GPU that has a display port?

If you're running it off the motherboard without a GPU, you can use either DVI or HDMI and it will work fine, there would be no discernable difference if you were to use displayport.

Do you not have a GPU? I find it crazy that you have a 144hz display and are using onboard video.

A converter would reduce the image quality and increase latency, which would completely invalidate the use of displayport.

You will not notice any difference by switching to displayport 1.2 unless you are using a 4k monitor at 60Hz.

Whatever you are using right now is fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh GPU, teehee... i have a real baddie. Haven't yet received it, but seeing you can attach it to a GPU... i have the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Cooler

I love the response time, these forums are awesome:)

That does work then? The Display Port 1.2 cable that came with the BenQ , will fit in the graphics card?

<--- Rolemodel for IT

First time building it myself also, the whole computer / screen setup ^_^

Oh GPU, teehee... i have a real baddie. Haven't yet received it, but seeing you can attach it to a GPU... i have the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Cooler

I love the response time, these forums are awesome:)

Ok, when you install that GPU you will connect Display Port between your monitor and the GPU and you'll be all set. Have FUN!

Git Gud.

That does work then? The Display Port 1.2 cable that came with the BenQ , will fit in the graphics card?

<--- Rolemodel for IT

First time building it myself also, the whole computer / screen setup ^_^

I have the 2720T but im using D-dvi ._.

Thanks!

I think the only reason why the monitor is said to run "better w/ display port" is because technically that cable is the most ideal for every display on which it is an option, BUT you should get the same refresh rates and resolutions from DVI-D. The Important difference is that DisplayPort carries Audio...

Not sure why it's so much "better" then... lol. If you were to use DVI-D you wouldn't be missing out on any quality. Once you step down to HDMI (at res above 1080p) or VGA, you'll be losing quality...

Git Gud.

I think the only reason why the monitor is said to run "better w/ display port" is because technically that cable is the most ideal for every display on which it is an option, BUT you should get the same refresh rates and resolutions from DVI-D. The Important difference is that DisplayPort carries Audio...

Not sure why it's so much "better" then... lol. If you were to use DVI-D you wouldn't be missing out on any quality. Once you step down to HDMI (at res above 1080p) or VGA, you'll be losing quality...

I like the locking connector of the DP cable. Then it is better :D

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

I like the locking connector of the DP cable. Then it is better :D

Yeah first time I saw one I was all like "ERMAHGERD SO FANCEH" O_O

Git Gud.

Yeah first time I saw one I was all like "ERMAHGERD SO FANCEH" O_O

Haha, one more thing. I just noticed the BenQ xl2720z wasn't packaging a display port to display port cable... (Does have DVI, though i want this easy cable, seeing i'm installing saturday and friday the cable will arrive anyways).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-DisplayPort-Metres/dp/B005H3Q59U/ref=pd_sim_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=07GRVG8EZR4SKNPQ536N

That would do right?

Also, my GPU isn't there yet, but that has the same entrance i could imagine :D

Haha, one more thing. I just noticed the BenQ xl2720z wasn't packaging a display port to display port cable... (Does have DVI, though i want this easy cable, seeing i'm installing saturday and friday the cable will arrive anyways).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-DisplayPort-Metres/dp/B005H3Q59U/ref=pd_sim_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=07GRVG8EZR4SKNPQ536N

That would do right?

Also, my GPU isn't there yet, but that has the same entrance i could imagine :D

Yeah you're good.

Yeah you're good.

Ughhh ofcourse *YAWN, sleepy*

co.uk.. my country (the netherlands) not supported... AYE'

Can't find:

Anywhere else, perhaps someone has something for this kind of stuff, something globally O.o.. I find it vague my country does not sell this. Or i'm just not looking well enough.

Ughhh ofcourse *YAWN, sleepy*

co.uk.. my country (the netherlands) not supported... AYE'

Can't find:

Anywhere else, perhaps someone has something for this kind of stuff, something globally O.o.. I find it vague my country does not sell this. Or i'm just not looking well enough.

You can't find any DP cable from Netherlands? :D

It doesn't have to be that one, pretty much anything will do.

You can't find any DP cable from Netherlands? :D

It doesn't have to be that one, pretty much anything will do.

Lol, i'm not on drugs.

http://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/DLCK-82770--displayport-displayport-kabel-delock-1-meter.html

That would work fine though?

Hope you can view the website, sorry for having to verify everything. Noobies have to understand :3 (This cable looks flashy flash).

Lol, i'm not on drugs.

http://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/DLCK-82770--displayport-displayport-kabel-delock-1-meter.html

That would work fine though?

Hope you can view the website, sorry for having to verify everything. Noobies have to understand :3 (This cable looks flashy flash).

Damn, that's an ugly cable.

You could just buy the cheapest one available, not sure if Display Port 1.1 will carry the bandwidth though. Have to verify that.

Damn, that's an ugly cable.

You could just buy the cheapest one available, not sure if Display Port 1.1 will carry the bandwidth though. Have to verify that.

Already bought it has a 14-day return option.

Ugly ugly or sarcastic ugly xD.

Just went with the 1.2 display port to be sure =P. ( Oh well, been busy for a while, that extra 30 euro's... the whole lot was like 2300, so i'd gladly lay down 15 euro extra for a cable to subdue the headache lol:P. )

Side note: This works aye' ? :D I'll see anyways when i plugg it in, butttt why not ask hehe.

Already bought it has a 14-day return option.

Ugly ugly or sarcastic ugly xD.

Just went with the 1.2 display port to be sure =P. ( Oh well, been busy for a while, that extra 30 euro's... the whole lot was like 2300, so i'd gladly lay down 15 euro extra for a cable to subdue the headache lol:P. )

Side note: This works aye' ? :D I'll see anyways when i plugg it in, butttt why not ask hehe.

Haha. :D

Yeah you shouldn't have any problems, I just noticed that there is no such thing as a "faster" DP cable. They're all the same and price doesn't matter.

And yes, that cable looks awful, just sorry. D: 

Haha. :D

Yeah you shouldn't have any problems, I just noticed that there is no such thing as a "faster" DP cable. They're all the same and price doesn't matter.

And yes, that cable looks awful, just sorry. D: 

Well, I might seem to be the person that wastes money. Perhaps in a certain way :D

Though, I don't smoke/drink/neither do i very often go to parties.

And i play/use stuff till it has reached some state of decaying LOL, cya in another 5-10 years before buying something new (this cable probably till its unable to use / lifetime).

I don't go with whatever is a trend, just happen to buy when I need it.

Too bad it isn't faster though, I really had thought that haha. Searched for that possibility after i bought it though, since i was quite done with gathering intell.

I do thank you for the help=) #Brofist.