Boot drive

WrathofKhan
Go to solution Solved by chicksoup,

download rufus.exe and in the program select the drive you want to use as boot drive in this case your 8gb USB drive and select the ISO image that should be burnt to it. 

you can either format your usb stick before burning in the file explorer or using rufus

I am building a new pc and I need a boot drive to install my OS. The OS I'm trying to install is Windows 8.1 Industry Pro. I am downloading it off of Dreamspark (I don't know if it makes a difference). I was hoping you guys could tell me how to format my 8gb flash drive to make it into a boot drive (I believe it's USB 2.0). Thank you!

download rufus.exe and in the program select the drive you want to use as boot drive in this case your 8gb USB drive and select the ISO image that should be burnt to it. 

you can either format your usb stick before burning in the file explorer or using rufus

How difficult is it to format it without rufus?

How difficult is it to format it without rufus?

in your file explorer right click on the usb stick and there is an option to format, a small window will pop up and will give you multiple settings. Format to fat32, default allocation size (doesn't matter as far as I know) you can also give it a name, but when you burn the image using rufus it will rename it anyways