So I got a 2nd gen iPod Touch...

MeeperSeven

I got a 2nd gen iPod Touch at a yard sale, when I got home I tested the battery by turning the brightness up all the way and turning on wifi, gps, and blutooth. I turned off auto-lock, so the screen would never turn off. The device lasted one hour with all of those things on, does that sound right for a 2nd gen iPod Touch battery?

I ordered a new battery but I don't know if it is really necessary to replace the battery right now.

Thanks,

Dylan

Sounds about right. Second gen Ipod touch only lasted about 3-5 hours on average brand new with only the wifi on.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp496 

You have to keep in mind that GPS and Bluetooth take up a lot of battery power. As does screen brightness when turned all the way up. Couple that with the fact that the device is at least 4 years old? Unless the battery has been replaced before it's going to have trouble holding a charge. Plus Apple updated subsequent iOS versions to have better battery management. Take all these facts into account and you have your answer. 

Replacing the battery and running it that way will probably net you maybe an hour and a half more of screen time totalling 2 1/2 hours. 

I got a 2nd gen iPod Touch at a yard sale, when I got home I tested the battery by turning the brightness up all the way and turning on wifi, gps, and blutooth. I turned off auto-lock, so the screen would never turn off. The device lasted one hour with all of those things on, does that sound right for a 2nd gen iPod Touch battery?

I ordered a new battery but I don't know if it is really necessary to replace the battery right now.

Thanks,

Dylan

I never use my iDevices without auto-lock, so I wouldn't know about how long it lasts with the screen on all of the time, but when I locked it when not using it, but used it a lot, I got anywhere from 4-6 hours. Try doing another test with full brightness, wifi, no bluetooth, and no GPS and spend your entire time playing games(if there are any pre-installed<good luck finding any if not>) or web browsing or something to put in use. play music without sound or something. if you're not using the screen for anything important, lock it. if you get about 4-6 hours out of it, you're good.

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

I never use my iDevices without auto-lock, so I wouldn't know about how long it lasts with the screen on all of the time, but when I locked it when not using it, but used it a lot, I got anywhere from 4-6 hours. Try doing another test with full brightness, wifi, no bluetooth, and no GPS and spend your entire time playing games(if there are any pre-installed<good luck finding any if not>) or web browsing or something to put in use. play music without sound or something. if you're not using the screen for anything important, lock it. if you get about 4-6 hours out of it, you're good.

Been playing music on it (half way turned up, with wifi on) through headphones for nearly an hour now, and the battery meter still appears to be completely full. Thanks!

Been playing music on it (half way turned up, with wifi on) through headphones for nearly an hour now, and the battery meter still appears to be completely full. Thanks!

No problem. Just figure i'd give you tips on how i ran mine before i got the 5th gen. :)

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone