What size fittings/tubing do you use?

Hey there,

I'm new to the whole world of custom water cooling and I have been doing a lot of research trying to just learn as much as I can before I actually design a whole water cooled build. Just to put it into perspective, I started researching last night. I have found that there are things many people agree on, and then there are the more opinionated things. I think fittings/tubing size is one of the latter. So I was wondering, what size fittings/tubing do you use? I've determined that if I suddenly had to build a custom water cooling loop this instant, I would go with tubing that is .5 inch ID, and .75 inch OD. I would use compression fittings with a .25 inch thread, and .5 inch fittings obviously to fit the tube. Is that a good size to start at, and will I be able to easily find parts like a water block for a CPU that fit those dimensions? Or should I switch up my sizing? My list of priorities with custom water cooling goes like this: 1) Functionality 2) Aesthetics 3) Quietness.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!

- Zach 

I use both 1/2 and 3/8 in my systems. the only thing to remember... the thicker the tubing the less it can bend without folding it on its self.

If you need small tight bends stick with small tubing.

Another thing to remember, it doesnt matter the size of tubing you use. The vast majority if not all watercooling blocks/fittings use G1/4 fittings and the other end so they go from your tube size > G1/4

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hey there,

I'm new to the whole world of custom water cooling and I have been doing a lot of research trying to just learn as much as I can before I actually design a whole water cooled build. Just to put it into perspective, I started researching last night. I have found that there are things many people agree on, and then there are the more opinionated things. I think fittings/tubing size is one of the latter. So I was wondering, what size fittings/tubing do you use? I've determined that if I suddenly had to build a custom water cooling loop this instant, I would go with tubing that is .5 inch ID, and .75 inch OD. I would use compression fittings with a .25 inch thread, and .5 inch fittings obviously to fit the tube. Is that a good size to start at, and will I be able to easily find parts like a water block for a CPU that fit those dimensions? Or should I switch up my sizing? My list of priorities with custom water cooling goes like this: 1) Functionality 2) Aesthetics 3) Quietness.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!

- Zach 

G1/4 threads are the widely applied standard on everything from pumps, rads to waterblocks so you're good there. I use 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing and Bitspower compression fittings of the same size. Remember that the thicker the tubing, the more rigid it is, so the less tight the bends can be. For your criteria thick low fpi rads (f.e. Alphacool UT60, Black Ice SR-1) are good choices.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie.