I get the feeling that push/pull is underrated...

Regardless of FPI on the rad, from the little research I've done it seems like the performance gain is more than just a few percent it's more like 20%, even more so with fan shrouds on. Wouldn't the pull fan help "straighten" out the air of the push fan immensely and the obvious doubled  up airflow...

Then again I'm probably completely wrong, can I get your guys expertise  :blink:

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

This should adequately answer your question.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

From what I've read/seen, it's more helpful with thick or high FPI radiators. I'd rather get a single great fan on one side of the radiator (like a Noctua or a NoiseBlocker or a Silverstone AP).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

From what I've read/seen, it's more helpful with thick or high FPI radiators. I'd rather get a single great fan on one side of the radiator (like a Noctua or a NoiseBlocker or a Silverstone AP).

But why not get TWO great fans on both sides!!??

I guess cost is a big concern though.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

But why not get TWO great fans on both sides!!??

I guess cost is a big concern though.

You answered your own question. Plus space.

If absolute performance is your main concern, yes, of course it's better.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

push/pull isn't a gimmick, but not a necessity, either. 3-4° better device cooling if

looking for that Nth edge tuning. would it be worth spending $XX more per fan?

usually not. another consideration that not all cases can accept the increased

thickness. the needs of other things pretty much outweigh the idea of push/pull.

a lot of members strive for a 4.6GHz overclock, when in fact they don't know what

4.6GHz is in performance gain. they hear 4.6GHz is where it is at and push/pull is

best thing since sliced bread, when really, neither is the holy grail.

with newer fan tech, the static pressures are on the rise, noise production is falling

radiator tech more efficient push/pull might be obsolete other than aesthetics/looks.

yes, 20% gain in watt thermal control, but not temperatures.

UT60 @ 1,800 rpm gets you 90 watts of cooling with one fan and 108 watts in push / pull

main use for push/pull is to use slower fan speeds over a single fan with higher

fan speeds. two fans at 800rpm can essentially do what a single fan does at

1200rpm.

This should adequately answer your question.

No offence but linus's tests for push/pull are awful, push/pull on an AIO will always be basically useless.   

Read @airdeano 's post, this is essentially what it is.

I push/pulled one of my 480mm 60mm thick radiators when I had two 480x60mm radiators in my loop, and lost 5 degrees.  (Fans were spinning at 600rpm, obviously wasnt enough for a single set of fans to push enough air through the rad, but two fans at 600 were)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Cons:

I think it comes down to what fans you are using to begin with. If you are doing a push/pull with fans designed for airflow, you will obviously see a bit of an improvement.

If you use static pressure fans to begin with though, i don't see how it would make a difference, other than being a pain in the arse to clean with the push pull system.

I have mines set to pull and therfor only need to wipe and hoover the one side of the radiator.

Also you got to factor in how much noice you fancy listening to.

Also, if you bought a large psu with platinum or gold certificate or something, adding more power consumption when it is not needed is a negative factor to me.

Also cable management. It might sound stupid but if you have a smaller case with less room for cable management, (which i highly doubt if you are running push/pull) well... basically, what i am trying to get at is that every little bit of air-flow counts in my opinions and makes a difference.

Also cost of more fans.

Also maintenance time is increased more than half since it becomes a more fidgety job.

Pros:

Slight performance increase of around 1~2% for most people.

Conclusion:

The 1~2% difference that most people see does not outweight the negative factors in my opinion.

The 20% difference you are getting sounds kinda wrong but i can't say for sure since im not at your setup.

push/pull isn't a gimmick, but not a necessity, either. 3-4° better device cooling if

looking for that Nth edge tuning. would it be worth spending $XX more per fan?

usually not. another consideration that not all cases can accept the increased

thickness. the needs of other things pretty much outweigh the idea of push/pull.

a lot of members strive for a 4.6GHz overclock, when in fact they don't know what

4.6GHz is in performance gain. they hear 4.6GHz is where it is at and push/pull is

best thing since sliced bread, when really, neither is the holy grail.

with newer fan tech, the static pressures are on the rise, noise production is falling

radiator tech more efficient push/pull might be obsolete other than aesthetics/looks.

yes, 20% gain in watt thermal control, but not temperatures.

main use for push/pull is to use slower fan speeds over a single fan with higher

fan speeds. two fans at 800rpm can essentially do what a single fan does at

1200rpm.

As always, you sum it up exceptionally well with lots of info! Thanks man