Slow program opening?

DatBrummie

The internet is currently out in my area, and since this happened I've noticed that if I open a program. I wait a while before it actually opens. I didn't notice this before the internet went out.

I restarted my PC, it booted in normal time so its not my ssd being slow.

After the reboot I was waiting over a minute for programs like Logitech and Corsairs software to open. Skype and steam too. With steam taking the very longest.

Is this something I should be worried about or is it just something to do with internet being out and will be a minor inconvenience until it comes back up?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

The internet is currently out in my area, and since this happened I've noticed that if I open a program. I wait a while before it actually opens. I didn't notice this before the internet went out.

I restarted my PC, it booted in normal time so its not my ssd being slow.

After the reboot I was waiting over a minute for programs like Logitech and Corsairs software to open. Skype and steam too. With steam taking the very longest.

Is this something I should be worried about or is it just something to do with internet being out and will be a minor inconvenience until it comes back up?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Most likely they were trying to connect to their servers and due to the lack of internet service were unable to, thus they'd keep pinging the server until they reach the max number of pings allowed before it has to tell you that it can't connect.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Most likely they were trying to connect to their servers and due to the lack of internet service were unable to, thus they'd keep pinging the server until they reach the max number of pings allowed before it has to tell you that it can't connect.

I'm not being told it can't connect or anything though. It just waits a while and then opens.

The servers were something I thought of too though so maybe it could be that

All software or just those which use internet? I'm with @mvitkun that programs which check internet connction on startup will be slow to open because of that. Sometimes you won't first get error of connection loss because (for unknown reasons to me) software still thinks you are connected. Same thing happens during microdisconnects where some software stay online and others think connection has been lost.

If all you software is opening slow, there might be malware or some background process slowing them. So run malwarebytes or CCleaner etc. to check for sure. Thats what I do when any software acts slow or doesn't respond.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

All software or just those which use internet? I'm with @mvitkun that programs which check internet connction on startup will be slow to open because of that. Sometimes you won't first get error of connection loss because (for unknown reasons to me) software still thinks you are connected. Same thing happens during microdisconnects where some software stay online and others think connection has been lost.

If all you software is opening slow, there might be malware or some background process slowing them. So run malwarebytes or CCleaner etc. to check for sure. Thats what I do when any software acts slow or doesn't respond.

I did an avast scan and it found nothing. I cant really think of anything that wouldn't connect to the internet. Even sublime text connects to check for updates. Windows things aren't slow, like windows explorer or control panel etc.

I did an avast scan and it found nothing. I cant really think of anything that wouldn't connect to the internet. Even sublime text connects to check for updates. Windows things aren't slow, like windows explorer or control panel etc.

Avast is virus scan. You need more a system scan to check that there isn't any process left in background keeping ram busy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Avast is virus scan. You need more a system scan to check that there isn't any process left in background keeping ram busy.

According to task manager I'm using 18% of my RAM and the only thing that was using CPU was Avast (however I don't know why it was) I've also looked through all of the processes and couldn't see any that seem unusual to be open. In fact I'm running less now than I usually do because I closed Spotify, Skype, etc. Down due to not having internet to use them anyway.

I don't have internet to download another program to scan my system.

I have an Indie Game called Dive which I'm pretty certain doesn't connect to the internet and that opens just fine

I guess I'll have to wait until the internet comes back and see how it is performing

According to task manager I'm using 18% of my RAM and the only thing that was using CPU was Avast (however I don't know why it was) I've also looked through all of the processes and couldn't see any that seem unusual to be open. In fact I'm running less now than I usually do because I closed Spotify, Skype, etc. Down due to not having internet to use them anyway.

I don't have internet to download another program to scan my system.

I have an Indie Game called Dive which I'm pretty certain doesn't connect to the internet and that opens just fine

I guess I'll have to wait until the internet comes back and see how it is performing

Ok, in that case lets hope its just temporary issue. There are those too :) I had bit issue earlier with NZXT CAM slowing down all software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok, in that case lets hope its just temporary issue. There are those too :) I had bit issue earlier with NZXT CAM slowing down all software.

Internet just came back on and everything's working just great now.

Thanks for the help, otherwise I'd have started worrying :P