TFT Central Asus ROG Swift PG278Q review!

E-Ro

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

Wow, this looks awesome, I cant wait! 

Here is a bit about the color accuracy 

Default setup of the screen out of the box was excellent, especially when you consider this is a gaming screen, TN Film based, and not even aimed at colour critical work at all. Gamma and white point were spot on to our targets. Colour accuracy was also very good with average dE of only 1.2. Contrast ratio was strong for a TN Film matrix as well at 928:1 at default settings. Keep in mind that there are some other limitations with TN Film technology which mean that these panels aren't as suited as IPS for colour critical work or professional users. Viewing angles are the main area of weakness and will lead to some gamma and colour tone shift depending on your line of sight. For an average user, and certainly for gamers, this screen did offer a very reliable default setup which we were impressed with.

I am definitely getting one of these. It is a tn panel, but a very high quality one. The color reproduction is excellent according to the review, with the main weakness being the viewing angles but that is to be expected. For gaming, sitting right in front of it that wont be a problem for me. Now I just need to add another 780ti to my rig. 

ETA: Also this is my first time making a thread here, any constructive criticism is welcome, and lol, if this is a re-post go easy on me. 

Conceal your intentions

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

Wow, this looks awesome, I cant wait! 

Here is a bit about the color accuracy 

I am definitely getting one of these. It is a tn panel, but a very high quality one. The color reproduction is excellent according to the review, with the main weakness being the viewing angles but that is to be expected. For gaming, sitting right in front of it that wont be a problem for me. Now I just need to add another 780ti to my rig. 

ETA: Also this is my first time making a thread here, any constructive criticism is welcome, and lol, if this is a re-post go easy on me.

That's pretty damn good for a TN panel equipped monitor. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Except for this bit, viewing angles are important on a 27", especially if the horizontal ones are off. It really annoyed me with my last TN monitor, 27" is big enough that it requires you to move your head to see the left and right side of the monitor, everytime you shift your head the colours shift and twist...ANNOYING

"Viewing angles of the PG278Q were as you might expect from a TN FilAs you move your head from side to side in a horizontal plane, there is a contrast shift and the image becomes darker and introduces a slight green hue. As you move to a wider angle the image can become more washed out as well. Vertically the fields of view are more restrictive still.m panel. Unfortunately this panel technology is inherently poor in this field,"

Also you cant run at 1080p 144hz only 60 which is a bit poo

Viewing angles are the killer for me, I am still waiting for my dream 1440p monitor. sorry asus, otherwise its a very very good monitor

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Except for this bit, viewing angles are important on a 27", especially if the horizontal ones are off. It really annoyed me with my last TN monitor, 27" is big enough that it requires you to move your head to see the left and right side of the monitor, everytime you shift your head the colours shift and twist...ANNOYING

"Viewing angles of the PG278Q were as you might expect from a TN FilAs you move your head from side to side in a horizontal plane, there is a contrast shift and the image becomes darker and introduces a slight green hue. As you move to a wider angle the image can become more washed out as well. Vertically the fields of view are more restrictive still.m panel. Unfortunately this panel technology is inherently poor in this field,"

Viewing angles are the killer for me, I am still waiting for my dream 1440p monitor. sorry asus, otherwise its a very very good monitor

If you have to move your head to see all parts of your monitor or TV screen, then it is too big for the distance.  It'd be like having a 60" TV when your couch is only 4 feet away, and this size screen is not ideal for the viewing distance.

I have a 27" monitor, but also a deep desk.  I don't have to move my head to see all parts of the screen because the screen is far enough back.

If you have to move your head to see all parts of your monitor or TV screen, then it is too big for the distance.  It'd be like having a 60" TV when your couch is only 4 feet away, and this size screen is not ideal for the viewing distance.

I have a 27" monitor, but also a deep desk.  I don't have to move my head to see all parts of the screen because the screen is far enough back.

Well its not like I am rotating my head every 3 seconds to see the side, but certainly my eyes move around more. Since the display is larger, if you shift in your chair, or are slouching to watch a movie or something seeing the colour shift is annoying, sometimes I lean on the arm rest of my chair, or sit with my head reasting on my arm on my desk, and when I had a TN panel before, it made the top corners all messed up

For me the point of getting a 27" monitor was for the largest size, if I push it back too far, then I may aswell just have a smaller monitor and put it closer ><

But some people are not bothered by it, which is fair eonugh. I could totally live with it. I just prefer not to. I hope sometime soon there will be 120hz IPS (or similar PLS/VA whatever) panels with 120hz and low input lag. I am sure its possible to do properly with hacked overclocking like those korean things. If it has freesnyc then I would happily pay a good price for it

PLEASE

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You have certainly pointed out a valid point about the short falls of the moitor but I must stress coming from a 30 inch 2560x1600 res now that if head movement is required then the monitor is too big for your setup.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

You have certainly pointed out a valid point about the short falls of the moitor but I must stress coming from a 30 inch 2560x1600 res now that if head movement is required then the monitor is too big for your setup.

I think everyone has the wrong end of the stick

i do not mean that the monitor is 12" from my eyes and that I have to move in my seat to see other parts of the display....

I think everyone has the wrong end of the stick

i do not mean that the monitor is 12" from my eyes and that I have to move in my seat to see other parts of the display....

I think I fully grasp what you are trying to convey here but what I am trying to point out is, a good TN which I have had the pleasure of trying out compared to my ips does have its merits and drawbacks. While sitting infront of the desk with either monitor in front of me colour shift is not noticable when glancing from one end of the monitor to another. Even if slouched in your armchair in front of the monitor is not going to attribute to a horrible experience is all I am saying.

The problem only occurs if I were to sit in a totally obscure angle to watch a movie at a distance, and given most monitors have height and pivot functions, I really don't see it as big of a problem unless its of lesser quality TN.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

Not a horrible experience, but its noticeable. 

From TFT Centrals review "As you move your head from side to side in a horizontal plane, there is a contrast shift and the image becomes darker and introduces a slight green hue. As you move to a wider angle the image can become more washed out as well. Vertically the fields of view are more restrictive still."

also "The luminance uniformity of the screen was moderate"  The luminance dropped in these regions by 25% maximum"

So it seems like it could be quite bad for those things, which is a shame for me

Just a pet peeve of mine and I find it hard to go back to a monitor like this. It is especially worse when using multiple monitors as the ones to the sides will not be straight on and will have some colour shift

Its still the best 120hz 1440p option, and I am glad these things are coming out!!

I didn't understand at all the details of this review, haha.

I discover that ULMB and G-sync can't be use at the same time. I would want a sharp image while playing so while using g-sync, don't I?