bad 7970?

Soo I had a xfx 7950 worked great till one of the fans stoped working, so I rma it few weeks later I get a referb 7950 and within 30 mins I would get and driver has been recovered error along with some artifacts so I call xfx tell them what's happing and tell me to rma it so I do few more weeks go by and end up calling them only to have them tell me they can't recreate my problems so I tell them why would I waste both of our times by sending it back so I ask if they will upgrade me to a 7970 and after a few days they tell me that there is no way they could do that because it would be to big of an upgrade so I said ok whatever just get me a new 7950...few more days go by and I get an email saying they were able to get me a 7970 so I was excited for that then when I get the card I throw that hog in seemed to run fine for a day then I would start geting the same error as before along with the artifacts. I have 2 systems and this happens on both.. I have not contacted xfx yet because their support site looks like a forth grader made it and all of my support tickets are no longer on my account and I wanna try everything before trying them again.... Things I've tried..freseh Windows install, tried old and new and beta drivers, diff pcie slot, underclocking and overclocking, tried puting it in a diff pc, even down clocked my ram and CPU.. nothing has worked..ill put my system spec in a comment after this post not sure if you can see the pics if not I can link to imgur thanks for all the help also sorry for any errors I'm on my phone. Also sorry for what is probly a long run on sentence

post-8280-0-80223100-1369089872_thumb.jp

post-8280-0-73805600-1369089885.jpg

post-8280-0-66477000-1369089898.jpg

post-8280-0-86332500-1369089912.jpg

post-8280-0-82387800-1369089929.jpg

post-8280-0-40637300-1369089944.jpg

post-8280-0-80223100-1369089872_thumb.jp

post-8280-0-73805600-1369089885.jpg

post-8280-0-66477000-1369089898.jpg

post-8280-0-86332500-1369089912.jpg

post-8280-0-82387800-1369089929.jpg

post-8280-0-40637300-1369089944.jpg

System specs

3930k @ 4.2

16gb dominator @2133

Mobo. ROG rampage iv

Corsair 1200 watts

Case. Nzxt 810

System specs

3930k @ 4.2

16gb dominator @2133

Mobo. ROG rampage iv

Corsair 1200 watts

Case. Nzxt 810

does this happen on other programs?

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3600+ | Asus M2N68-AM SE2 | 3gb ddr2 | Orion 600w | Sapphire HD5570

Yes...metro 2033, dead island,wow,cod

Have you used drive sweep to remove all AMD driver entries..?..have you run the dxdiag..?..seems strange that it would only do this for games..?..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Have you used drive sweep to remove all AMD driver entries..?..have you run the dxdiag

yes to both  dxdiag found nothing wrong

Sorry just taking little steps..

Your desktop works good..all fonts look OK..?

No strange settings on your monitors ? 

Have you switched to the other BIOS and had a look at the results.?

You have the same mess when you use these GPU's (old 7950 and newish 7970) in your other systems with a different monitor ? different cable options ?

How is your PSU`powered..through a UPS ..surge protector..? sorry i will  have to ask..extension cord...?

Your desktop works good..all fonts look OK..?

time to time ill get a box about 2 inches by 2 inches..just a box of artafacts some where random on desktop..

No strange settings on your monitors ? 

nope

Have you switched to the other BIOS and had a look at the results.?

yep never updated the bios till about a week ago and I stll get the same problems

You have the same mess when you use these GPU's (old 7950 and newish 7970) in your other systems with a different monitor ? different cable options ?

my original 7950 worked great in my other system 2nd 7950 had the same problems as the 7970... ive tried hdmi both dvi ports changed dvi cables. no change

How is your PSU`powered..through a UPS ..surge protector..? sorry i will  have to ask..extension cord...?

I have it connected to a surge protector no extension cord .......

I just tried changing the pcie slot from gen 3 to gen 2 and it seemed to work for a few hours then the screen artifacts  came back 

Got to say ..I do not think it is a bad GPU,  or in your case 2 bad GPU's. not with identical errors.and with one working OK for a day before it to let you down, but I have little experience with XFX product..

The way you have cross system tested the GPU's it leaves only a very few acceptable avenues to consider.One is heat buildup in your system\ environment, another is power delivery to your systems.

So in 2d mode it has trouble as well..wow going to have to mull this over..LOL..bet that you have been doing that and more.. :)

The BIOS on the GPU  was updated..? or did you mean your MB's BIOS..?

Can you borrow a friends GPU..?..it will need to be close to what you have and try it in your system..?

I updated the mb bios was looking in to the gpu bios but im not sure if I want to mess with that yet and I have a 6950 and a crappy gtx 260 that I have and had used before the 7950 had no problems with it...but switching the pcie from gen3 to gen2 has seemed to slow the rate at witch the screen artifacting would happen

I updated the mb bios was looking in to the gpu bios but im not sure if I want to mess with that yet and I have a 6950 and a crappy gtx 260 that I have and had used before the 7950 had no problems with it...but switching the pcie from gen3 to gen2 has seemed to slow the rate at witch the screen artifacting would happen

have u tried it in a different system?

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3600+ | Asus M2N68-AM SE2 | 3gb ddr2 | Orion 600w | Sapphire HD5570

I have 2 systems and this happens on both.. Things I've tried..freseh Windows install, tried old and new and beta drivers, diff pcie slot, underclocking and overclocking, tried puting it in a diff pc, even down clocked my ram and CPU.. nothing has worked..

im thinking it is your PSU or motherboard

if you first tried every card on your system with your PSU and your Motherboard it might be overvolting the gpu and killing it meanwhile

you have to RMA and try it on another system before trying it on your system

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

try a different video conection type...

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

have you tryd stress testing it?? if yes did you get artifacts? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Here's the dumbest thing you'll probably ever hear, but at least we'll get a better understanding of what could be the issue...

Have you tried completely removing the drivers and left over remnants and then running the card using the legacy drivers Windows installs? If not, would you be willing to try and then report back after some usage and see if the artifacting is still happening?

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

have you tryd stress testing it?? if yes did you get artifacts? 

I remember running FurMark for about an hour with no artifacts appering...think I should try running longer? Or even a diff test

Here's the dumbest thing you'll probably ever hear, but at least we'll get a better understanding of what could be the issue... Have you tried completely removing the drivers and left over remnants and then running the card using the legacy drivers Windows installs? If not, would you be willing to try and then report back after some usage and see if the artifacting is still happening?

I'll try it tonight when I get home

im thinking it is your PSU or motherboardif you first tried every card on your system with your PSU and your Motherboard it might be overvolting the gpu and killing it meanwhileyou have to RMA and try it on another system before trying it on your system

Wouldn't the 6950 and the Gtx 260 get overvolted aswell then? also the 7970 I have can not be manualy overvolted its locked from the factory

Wouldn't the 6950 and the Gtx 260 get overvolted aswell then? also the 7970 I have can not be manualy overvolted its locked from the factory

being voltage locked doesnt mean pci slot or psu can push too much voltage to it and damage it

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

On your GPU you should be able to switch from one BIOS to the other non re writable BIOS.

On your GPU you should be able to switch from one BIOS to the other non re writable BIOS.

I'll check it out