i5 4690k w/ h100i high temps. Safe CPU Voltage?

Hey,

I just assembled this build. I'm running an intel i5 4690k(stock), cooled by a h100i. When I start up my pc, CPU temps are around 45-48 degrees Celsius. At idle  around 50-52 degrees and right now at 25-30% usage; temps are pretty high(see below).

781ecd5c8b.png

What could cause this? My first thoughts are that the CPU voltage is too high. What voltage should I run my CPU at and how would I change it?(I am a noob when it comes to tampering with the bios.)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

Those are some baaaaaaaaaad temps, especially at stock. Try removing the stock H100i thermal concrete and apply your own, in the process reseating the cooler water block. Take your time reseating it because you may have had a bad mount last time.

Look here for more info on overclocking a similar board (Hero; Ranger will be very similar, if not the same).

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Those are some baaaaaaaaaad temps, especially at stock. Try removing the stock H100i thermal concrete and apply your own, in the process reseating the cooler water block. Take your time reseating it because you may have had a bad mount last time.

Look here for more info on overclocking a similar board (Hero; Ranger will be very similar, if not the same).

I'll try put some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste on tomorrow, reseat it and then see where I'm at. Does the voltage look okay? I'm a bit new to this.. but some people are having a hard time with the same mobo over-volting the cpu.

this isn't AMD his temps are fine intel are good up to 100c h100i isn't gonna work magic its Meh cooler 

this isn't AMD his temps are fine intel are good up to 100c h100i isn't gonna work magic its Meh cooler 

Still 60C at 25-30% usage at stock speeds/voltages is just too high...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I'll check mine when home for you as have the 4690K but with the nzxt x60

CPU: 4690k - 4.5@1.29v  GPU: GTX 780ti - core +100 / Mem+350 Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  SSD: 256Gb 840 Evo HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB  RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x4Gb  Case: White H440  PSU: RM850  Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60

Lol I have a 4770K and a H100i and I idle (in Australia, using a 250D) at ~30*C, 100% sustained load (burn tests) is at ~55*C.

So yeah he has something wrong if his 1) thermally superior and 2) not-as-hard-working (non-HTed) chip is running way hotter than what mine is.

It doesn't matter if they have a higher thermal limit, his shouldn't be that hot, unless he lives in the desert.

I'll try put some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste on tomorrow, reseat it and then see where I'm at. Does the voltage look okay? I'm a bit new to this.. but some people are having a hard time with the same mobo over-volting the cpu.

As for the Voltage, it looks fine to me, but I can't reference anything as I don't have one. Perhaps someone here can chime in?

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Try reseating the cooler.  Lots of people seem to have issues mounting the H100i properly.  If everything is at stock, the cooler is the only culprit that I see, unless ambient temperature is like 30C+.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

OK i my idle temps sit around 24c and load is 51c, ambient temp is around 23c.

This is all stock speeds, hope this helps.

CPU: 4690k - 4.5@1.29v  GPU: GTX 780ti - core +100 / Mem+350 Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  SSD: 256Gb 840 Evo HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB  RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x4Gb  Case: White H440  PSU: RM850  Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60

It doesn't matter if they have a higher thermal limit, his shouldn't be that hot, unless he lives in the desert.

Yeah my ambient temps aren't high. I do live in Ireland after all..

Try reseating the cooler.  Lots of people seem to have issues mounting the H100i properly.  If everything is at stock, the cooler is the only culprit that I see, unless ambient temperature is like 30C+.

Yeah, when I get my hands on some thermal paste I'll reseat the cooler and see if the temperatures improve.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like a bad seating.

My 4790K at stock barely breaches 30C on air for me.

Assuming your volts are 1.1V, that's more than fine for Haswell. Haswell can go up to 1.3V without major longtime damage (for example 10 years and 3 months before the CPU dies at 1.3V rather than 10 years and 8 months at stock)

1.35V is okay for temps on DC, but is only recommended for benchmarks.

Anything above 1.4V will start to kill the CPU instantly.

Take this from a guy who got 4GHz out of a Q6700 at 1.8V and could never reach 4GHz again after that run.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I cleaned the CPU + h100i, applied some Arctic MX-4 paste and reseated the cooler. I ran prime95 for 15mins and left it idle for 5mins..

Screenshots of the temps are attached(I set the fans on the h100i to run in 'Balanced Mode'). I still feel like I'm seating the h100i wrong, any ways to make sure I'm seating it right? I'm screwing down each corner gradually so that even pressure is applied to the cpu.. Although It's a bit hard to position it correctly.

b5e6b612d0.jpg

(I'm running an old gtx gainward 560ti until my gtx 780 comes, you gotta love that awful looking brown pcb haha)

post-84762-0-97167000-1405623820_thumb.p

post-84762-0-45814000-1405623874_thumb.p

Maybe the pump isn't working properly?  Something is definitely wrong =(

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Maybe the pump isn't working properly?  Something is definitely wrong =(

I'm not sure how I would check that.

I'm gonna run a few games and see what temps I get(Something is definitely wrong though yeah). I'll try Battlefield 3 first. Last night on Battlefield 3 I was getting even beyond 75 degrees..

I'm not sure how I would check that.

I'm gonna run a few games and see what temps I get(Something is definitely wrong though yeah). I'll try Battlefield 3 first. Last night on Battlefield 3 I was getting even beyond 75 degrees..

And this is all at stock? I know you said yes, just double checking.

And this is all at stock? I know you said yes, just double checking.

Yep, it's all stock!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat, I have an H100i on my 4690K on as Asus Z97-A and my temps are similar to OP's. I did some research and someone mentioned putting washers on the backplate as the standoffs are loose, but similar build guild acknowledge the loose-ness anyway so I think it may not be an issue. I might try reapplying thermal paste but I think I might have to buy a new AIO for it at this rate. 

I am in the same boat, I have an H100i on my 4690K on as Asus Z97-A and my temps are similar to OP's. I did some research and someone mentioned putting washers on the backplate as the standoffs are loose, but similar build guild acknowledge the loose-ness anyway so I think it may not be an issue. I might try reapplying thermal paste but I think I might have to buy a new AIO for it at this rate. 

Try washers first, make sure they are not conductive.

This is kind of a big issue with the H100i.  I see people constantly complaining about high temperatures and incorrect mounting.

From the second pic, your temps are normal. 30-40 degrees Celsius is normal, I'm running @ 50 degrees Celsius idle since it's hot here in Alberta plus I have the H440.

I cleaned the CPU + h100i, applied some Arctic MX-4 paste and reseated the cooler. I ran prime95 for 15mins and left it idle for 5mins..

Screenshots of the temps are attached(I set the fans on the h100i to run in 'Balanced Mode'). I still feel like I'm seating the h100i wrong, any ways to make sure I'm seating it right? I'm screwing down each corner gradually so that even pressure is applied to the cpu.. Although It's a bit hard to position it correctly.

(I'm running an old gtx gainward 560ti until my gtx 780 comes, you gotta love that awful looking brown pcb haha)

Don't use Prime95 to stress test Haswell unless you have manual voltage on. I prefer Intel Extreme Tuning Utility because it doesn't add voltage like Prime does.

I did miss the orientation of the notches of the bracket. I've re-mounted the bracket for now and I AM seeing a drastic improvement in temps.  Even though I am in a warm climate (caribbean), my max temps go between 60 and 80C now which is better than 80C+. I've ordered some nylon washers from amazon and waiting for them as well as some new thermal paste. I believe the block isn't making as much contact/pressure as a lot of people are claiming. 

At this point I am questioning why I didn't just buy the H105 but the H100i is worth that beautiful solid black block. It really goes with my H440. Also thanks for the help everyone. 

I had the exact same problem.  My i5 4690K was idling around 50C and hitting well over 80C under heavy loads, on stock settings.  Tried the washer thing on the H100i backplate, first time I started it up, the temperatures were so low, I thought I'd broken my sensors somehow.  It now idles in the high 20's to low 30's, and even with Prime95's Small FTT stress test it's still under 65 C.

Seems like that loose fit that everyone says was fine, was just a little too loose.

@Conz0r_

Those temps seem high, but VID is not necessarily VCore.  You have to scroll down and find Vcore in HWmonitor.  So your voltages might be very, very high, causing high temperatures.  

Source: "VID is the amount of core voltage you set in the BIOS yourself. You should know it, you're the one that set the voltage in there. The Vcore is the number measured by Hwinfo or HWmonitor on your CPU when it is under max load." -Darkwizzle's Haswell Overclocking Guide

What are your actual Vcore values under load? One of the things that can happen, especially with Prime95 on Haswell and DC chips, is that extra voltage is drawn depending on the overclocking method you're using.  Also, Prime95 small FFTs makes DC chips really, really hot.  Try downloading a 30-day trial of AIDA64 and see what the temps are using that stress test.  If you are really set on using Prime95, make sure you're only using manual vcore voltage.  

For reference, I'm using a H100 to cool my 4690K (adaptive OC at 4.6GHz), and it idles at 30°C and games at about 50°C.  The H100i should be more than adequate for that CPU.  How are the thermals inside your case?  Do you have enough ventilation supplying that H100i?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

• 7 months later...

Hi there this thread is probably a lil old now but regards H100i mounting the back plate has 2 notches which need to be orientated correctly for optimal contact with the cpu and subsequently optimal cooling. I didnt have these aligned correctly when I first installed mine, once I adjusted this and re-applied thermal goop my temps dropped 10-15 degrees.

Hope this helps if not a little late.