Flowrate vs Temp wise question....

Got a 900D. was wondering if having

A) 1 Alphacool Dual 120 UT60 + 1 Alphacool Quad 120 UT60 + 1 Alphacool Dual 120 ST30

B) 1 Alphacool Dual 120 UT60 + 1 Alphacool Quad 120 UT60

Im guessing theres better flowrate for the bottom one, is there a temp difference as well?

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

Radiators are designed to have as little restriction as possible. Adding a block causes much more restriction compared to a radiator, so you will have better temps with the triple rad set-up, although I recommend using 240/360 rads to save money and have cleaner tubing.

With a powerful pump like a Laing D5 or a Laing DDC an extra 120mm radiator really won't change much in terms of flow rate, and the flow rate is so high anyway, that a decrease wouldn't make much difference to the temps.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

A) 1 Alphacool Dual 120 UT60 + 1 Alphacool Quad 120 UT60 + 1 Alphacool Dual 120 ST30

Im guessing theres better flowrate for the bottom one, is there a temp difference as well?

Welcome guy,

the flow rate is mostly dependent on the pumps quality, what type of blocks and fittings the loop has. Qucik disconnects and mosfet blocks are very restrictive and while GPU block can be restrictive too it is mostly the SLI configurations that have high restriction. Radiators tend to be non-restrictive unless there is a blockage of some kind in the radiator, either a bad weld, too much flux or some other factor.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

so a bad flowrate would be due to having xspc 780 blocks running in series? using a D5 pump. I thought the rad due to having 30mm depth would be the restrictive one.

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

so a bad flowrate would be due to having xspc 780 blocks running in series? using a D5 pump. I thought the rad due to having 30mm depth would be the restrictive one.

A D5 is more than capable of handling 3 blocks and 3 rads.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Alphacool rads have some of the lowest flow restrictions on the market so I wouldn't worry much about that. As others have set, waterblocks, tubing, fititngs etc. are what usually have more restrictions. 

Have you thought about doing one of these setups?

#1: top Quad 120 UT60 + bottom Quad 120 UT60 (no need for push/pull just push with NF-F12's or Eloops)

#2: top Quad 120 UT60 + bottom Quad 120 UT60 + front Dual 120 ST30 (no need for push/pull)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

A D5 is more than capable of handling 3 blocks and 3 rads.

actually now i got a question how much can the d5 handle when would it be neccessary to get a second d5? lets say 1 cpu block 2 gpu blocks 1 240 rad 1 360 rad and 2 passive towers of 60cm (reserator 1) connected using 3 quick disconnects. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

actually now i got a question how much can the d5 handle when would it be neccessary to get a second d5? lets say 1 cpu block 2 gpu blocks 1 240 rad 1 360 rad and 2 passive towers of 60cm (reserator 1) connected using 3 quick disconnects. 

I personally use a GPU, CPU, VRM block and a 3*360 external rad with 2 QDCs and can run my pump on setting 3 with absolutely no flow issues. I don't see why anyone would choose your proposed set-up.

Here's some reading if you're really interested in the specs of the pump: http://documentlibrary.xylemappliedwater.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/22/files/2012/09/ecocircd5solar-ed-en.pdf http://documentlibrary.xylemappliedwater.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/22/files/2012/09/ecocircd5vario-ed-en.pdf

As others have set, waterblocks, tubing, fititngs etc. are what usually have more restrictions. 

Tubing and fittings don't have much of an effect on flow rate either, (If you're reasonable with your selection of tubing/fittings)

I personally use a GPU, CPU, VRM block and a 3*360 external rad with 2 QDCs and can run my pump on setting 3 with absolutely no flow issues. I don't see why anyone would choose your proposed set-up.

well i was hoping to have the 240 and 360 in case i want to move it to a friends house or something and the two towers to connect it while at home and hopefully be able to turn the fans off completely

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

well i was hoping to have the 240 and 360 in case i want to move it to a friends house or something and the two towers to connect it while at home and hopefully be able to turn the fans off completely

You need to cool passive components such as ram,vrm and the psu in your system with minimal airflow, so turning all your fans off would be a bad idea, I would say you would be getting to the territory where having two pumps wouldn't be considered ridiculous, however, a single pump, especially at higher settings should be able to handle it.

You need to cool passive components such as ram,vrm and the psu in your system with minimal airflow, so turning all your fans off would be a bad idea, I would say you would be getting to the territory where having two pumps wouldn't be considered ridiculous, however, a single pump, especially at higher settings should be able to handle it.

ok so maybe leaving the front 3 fans on the 360 at really low would be enough? also i plan a d5 but would it be loud? i heard about people complaining. would two pump at low speeds be quieter than one at high speeds? also im going for the aqua computer d5 with aqua bus. to my understanding it allow me to control them software wise?

ok so maybe leaving the front 3 fans on the 360 at really low would be enough? also i plan a d5 but would it be loud? i heard about people complaining. would two pump at low speeds be quieter than one at high speeds? also im going for the aqua computer d5 with aqua bus. to my understanding it allow me to control them software wise?

You can control any PWM D5 with your motherboard, and yes that would probably be enough. One pump should be fine for your needs. The aquacomupter D5 can be controlled by the aquabus, yes.

a wider radiator pumping fluid into a radiator half its size in diameter wont cause flow rate to decrease more so than a tri sli wb?

Radiators are designed to have as little restriction as possible. Adding a block causes much more restriction compared to a radiator, so you will have better temps with the triple rad set-up, although I recommend using 240/360 rads to save money and have cleaner tubing.

With a powerful pump like a Laing D5 or a Laing DDC an extra 120mm radiator really won't change much in terms of flow rate, and the flow rate is so high anyway, that a decrease wouldn't make much difference to the temps.