cheap NAS.

RainColt
Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

I'm looking to build a NAS because my computer is starting to blue screen and I'd rather not loose anything important. Which would be cheaper buying a pres-assembled NAS or buying a cheap core2duo PC and filling it with hard drives? Also would there be any-complications that could be avoided with the right parts when setting up freeNAS or would every CPU have the same issues I'd have to work through? For example I have tried to set up network sharing between my windows PC and Ubuntu PC in the past and couldn't get it configured correctly how much more difficult would this be than that?

Probably the core2duo. Check Ebay. Only buy from trusted sellers with Ebay's buyer guarantee thing. You could also build a cheap Pentium system.

Not really. You don't have to use FreeNAS. Amahi is good too and would be best for this setup imo. FreeNAS wouldn't be able to use plugins with that kind of machine while Amahi would. 

Not very. If you need specific guides, I can help. Amahi is built for simplicity and ease of use. FreeNAS is built for versatility and moderate to extreme complexity. It can be simple, but it's not the primary purpose of the OS, but that is Amahi's primary purpose. 

I recommend Amahi over the other OS, specifically, in this order: Amahi > FreeNAS > Linux based OS > Windows Home Server > Windows 20XX Server in terms of What is best for this build?

That's considering that you want simple based on what you've wrote.

I'm looking to build a NAS because my computer is starting to blue screen and I'd rather not loose anything important. Which would be cheaper buying a pres-assembled NAS or buying a cheap core2duo PC and filling it with hard drives? Also would there be any-complications that could be avoided with the right parts when setting up freeNAS or would every CPU have the same issues I'd have to work through? For example I have tried to set up network sharing between my windows PC and Ubuntu PC in the past and couldn't get it configured correctly how much more difficult would this be than that?

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Probably the core2duo. Check Ebay. Only buy from trusted sellers with Ebay's buyer guarantee thing. You could also build a cheap Pentium system.

Not really. You don't have to use FreeNAS. Amahi is good too and would be best for this setup imo. FreeNAS wouldn't be able to use plugins with that kind of machine while Amahi would. 

Not very. If you need specific guides, I can help. Amahi is built for simplicity and ease of use. FreeNAS is built for versatility and moderate to extreme complexity. It can be simple, but it's not the primary purpose of the OS, but that is Amahi's primary purpose. 

I recommend Amahi over the other OS, specifically, in this order: Amahi > FreeNAS > Linux based OS > Windows Home Server > Windows 20XX Server in terms of What is best for this build?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

pretty much yeah :D the cheapest solution would be getting an old pc (2-3 years) and put some HDDs into it. Then get Amahi (since it's foolproof to set up) and enjoy a NAS that's pretty flexible AND does perform (more than 30MB/s)

If you are confident in your IT skills, go for FreeNAS, else opt for Amahi.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

pretty much yeah :D the cheapest solution would be getting an old pc (2-3 years) and put some HDDs into it. Then get Amahi (since it's foolproof to set up) and enjoy a NAS that's pretty flexible AND does perform (more than 30MB/s)

If you are confident in your IT skills, go for FreeNAS, else opt for Amahi.

alright i'll just go grab something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-DC5750-AMD-3800-Dual-Core-2-0GHz-2GB-80G-DVD-XP-Pro-Desktop-PC-Computer-/171259367488?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item27dfda9040 toss the motherboard in a case with some space and fill it with hard drives and install Amahi (which you say is foolproof which i assume means a wizard does all the work) and boom I can store all my data and stream movies from a box that I hide in my closet beside my router.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

alright i'll just go grab something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-DC5750-AMD-3800-Dual-Core-2-0GHz-2GB-80G-DVD-XP-Pro-Desktop-PC-Computer-/171259367488?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item27dfda9040 toss the motherboard in a case with some space and fill it with hard drives and install Amahi (which you say is foolproof which i assume means a wizard does all the work) and boom I can store all my data and stream movies from a box that I hide in my closet beside my router.

Cool.

The hardest thing you have to do with Amahi is make an account on their website to connect to the machine. This is so you can access the media from anywhere on the internet.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

the thing with amahi is: it's hardcoded to 50%, you are forced to use your server as your DHCP and DNS server. If you do that, everything else will work. 100%. disable your dhcp and dns in your router and the settings are done automatically.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log