Hi guys

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the matter of air vs water. I'm building a new gaming rig and I'm trying to decided between the h110, Kraken x61 and the Noctua NH-D15. The room I'm in has quite high ambient temperatures and I want to do overclocking, so as you can guest I'm looking into this quite a bit. I normally prefer liquid cooling however from what I have read and watched the Noctua NH-D15 does pretty well. What are people's opinions, I'm mainly just interested in what people think with these coolers and what you prefer. 

the noctua competes pretty well against the H110, and its more quiet and having a huge heatsink is cool, i do air cooling

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

AIO for the looks, beafy air cooler for the silence, custom water cooling for full the best of everything (and bragging rights and spending a lot of your money).

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I second the Noctua. Air coolers are way less likely to have some malfunction (if any) than liquid coolers, and the D15 has super close comparisons to an H100.

I do air cooling for the reliability, there aren't many things with an air cooler itself that can go wrong, with a water cooler however there are many problems can that can occur. 

I've got an Phanteks PH TC14pe it competes extremely well against liquid coolers, however it's a bit spendy. Right now I'm running a 4670K @ 4.4 Ghz no more than 78 degrees maxed out Intel Burn Test. 

Hi guys

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the matter of air vs water. I'm building a new gaming rig and I'm trying to decided between the h110, Kraken x61 and the Noctua NH-D15. The room I'm in has quite high ambient temperatures and I want to do overclocking, so as you can guest I'm looking into this quite a bit. I normally prefer liquid cooling however from what I have read and watched the Noctua NH-D15 does pretty well. What are people's opinions, I'm mainly just interested in what people think with these coolers and what you prefer. 

The NH-D15 can compete with any AIO that's 240mm or smaller. It's also quieter and has less moving parts. If you like the aesthetics of an AIO and don't want a dual heatsink CPU aircooler in your build go for a good AIO like the Kraken X60/61 or Nepton 280L.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I think at the moment air because the bang for buck is so much better

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Dark Rock Pro 3 is also another contender to the NH-D15 and PH-TC14PE

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

well the D15 performs just as well or better than any AIO, whilst being WAY more reliable and WAY WAY WAY quieter.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Hi guys

honestly, as you mentioned a high ambient, there really isn't much difference

between any of them as your delta temps will be drastically influenced and you

would be best to side on budget and/or lower overclocking.

what kind of ambient are you saying is high?

I regret water cooling, Air is both cooler, in the case of AIO the air coolers can be quieter, a LOT less prone to failure and if it does fail it doesn't take out your entire PC with it.

Hi guys

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the matter of air vs water. I'm building a new gaming rig and I'm trying to decided between the h110, Kraken x61 and the Noctua NH-D15. The room I'm in has quite high ambient temperatures and I want to do overclocking, so as you can guest I'm looking into this quite a bit. I normally prefer liquid cooling however from what I have read and watched the Noctua NH-D15 does pretty well. What are people's opinions, I'm mainly just interested in what people think with these coolers and what you prefer.

Forgot to mention. Water cooling is probably a better solution if you don't have good case airflow since you can pull air from the outside and have the cooling of your CPU not be affected by the ambient temp of your case, where air cooling always draws air from within the case.

honestly, as you mentioned a high ambient, there really isn't much difference

between any of them as your delta temps will be drastically influenced and you

would be best to side on budget and/or lower overclocking.

what kind of ambient are you saying is high

Forgot to mention. Water cooling is probably a better solution if you don't have good case airflow since you can pull air from the outside and have the cooling of your CPU not be affected by the ambient temp of your case, where air cooling always draws air from within the case.

Hi airdeano I haven't measured the temperature so I cannot give a number as of yet but by just being in the room it is the hottest in the house, I'm in the loft so it will be the hottest in the summer periods. My current rigs temperatures (not overclocked, water cooled) runs at 40 degees idle in the room.

Thanks for the advice SlaughterSmurf, thats good to know about the airflow. The case I've been given for my new build is the Corsair 900D so that should have good airflow.

Hi airdeano I haven't measured the temperature so I cannot give a number as of yet but by just being in the room it is the hottest in the house, I'm in the loft so it will be the hottest in the summer periods. My current rigs temperatures (not overclocked, water cooled) runs at 40 degees idle in the room.

Thanks for the advice SlaughterSmurf, thats good to know about the airflow. The case I've been given for my new build is the Corsair 900D so that should have good airflow.

Hello there,

I do have watercooling and a Corsair 900d. The case has a very good air flow indeed and is made for watercooling and all other custom cooling solutions :) . Another good thing about that case is, that you will have a positive air pressure in it so dust won't be a too big topic for you.

Enjoy :) .

I second aircooling, there is a reason that avatar Aang is an airbender instead of a waterbender. :P

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink