Asiris's Gaming/Video Editing Build [Need Help]

Asiris

*Final Build decision in lower post

- Intro -

Hello everybody! I am saving up for a new PC that will be used for gaming, video editing, and some slight 3D work. I know about computers and their many different parts, however I am a complete novice when it comes to building them and what parts should be purchased for different needs. Instead of just asking you to list the parts you think I need, I have tried to research and provide some build options for you guys to help me with. I am also new to this forum, so if I'm not doing this right, please inform me. Thanks! :)

- What I want my PC for - 

Firstly, I do enjoy gaming and would like to actually be able to play some of the newer games in their best graphics without have serious performance issues. I also do plan on getting the Oculus Rift sometime soon, so having a PC that could handle the content that has been created for it would be awesome. My profession is video editing for a small company. I mainly use Adobe products such as Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects. Also I am learning how to do 2d animation, so I will most likely be using Adobe Flash in the near future. Lastly, I want to dabble around in some Game Engines such as Unity Engine and Unreal Engine.

So to summarize:

• Gaming in "Ultra" Graphics
  • Video Editing in Adobe Products
  • Messing around in Gaming Engines

- Why I am upgrading -

Because my $400 laptop is on it's way out.

- My Budget -

Honestly, I am willing to keep saving up until I have enough money to buy this build. However, I suppose a line should be drawn to help you, as well as me, determine what parts are best for me. So I have decided to make my budget $4000, although if I don't need all that money for my build, that's more than fine. 

- Where I live -

I live in the United States. So my purchases will most likely be through Newegg, Amazon, and other online electronic shops.

THE BUILD (My Proposal)

The Computer Itself

- Case -

There were a few options I ran into when looking at other builds. When it came down to my top two favorites, I chose:

• The Corsair Obsidian 900D
  • The Corsair Graphite Series 760t

I'm leaning towards the 760t because it looks sufficient for what I need at a lower price point.

- CPU -

The Key CPU that was always recommended in High-Performance builds was:

• Intel Core i7-4930K

- GPU -

This is one of my main problems. I have seen so many different opinions and options for GPUs. Firstly, I am leaning much more to buying Nvidia instead of AMD. I'm sure both are great and both have pros and cons. But for the sake of narrowing down my decisions, I chose Nvidia. So with that out of the way here is the options I chose:

• A single EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
  • A single Quadro K4000
  • OR both GPUs (Like in Linus's Ultimate Workstation Build (but with a 780 ti))

I want to use a Ultra widescreen monitor, for reasons described below. Since I am using only one Monitor for now, I don't plan on using Dual SLI GPUs. Now I'm not sure how accurate this is, as I am new to this whole thing. Please let me know what you think.

- Motherboard -

Like the CPU, only one motherboard was really prominent in the build guides that I found. However, I am always interested in other options.

• Asus X79 Deluxe

- SSD -

Memory is even more confusing to me than what GPU's to get. Especially when it comes to RAID configurations.

• 1 OR 2 Intel 730 Series 480GB SSDs (in RAID 0)
  • 1 OR 2 Samsung 840 EVO (in RAID 0)

Both seem like great options, however I don't know if I should buy two for the RAID option.

- HDD -

I know just how massive video editing files can be, so I understand that I will need plenty of space on my hard drives. These choices can be mixed and matched with the SSD options.

• 1 TO 4 WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drives (in RAID 1 - Raid 10)
  • 1 TO 4 WD Black 4TB Hard Drives (in Raid 1 - Raid 10)

I honestly don't really know how many of what Hard Drive to get, and even less so what Raid level to put them in. Help is very appreciated concerning HDD's and SDDS in Raid Levels.

- RAM -

I want at least 32GB of Ram, as I think it will be necessary for the type of work I do.

• Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB)
  • G.SKILL Ripjawz Z series 32GB (4 x 8GB)

- Cooling -

I don't know much about cooling, but I don't want to go with a complicated and expensive water cooling system using radiators or whatever. So this is what I have come up. More options would be greatly appreciated.

• BitFenix Specre Pro LED 120mm Case Fan
  • Corsair Hydro series H110 (I'm not sure what this really is apart from how Linus used it in his 4k gaming build)

- PSU -

• Cooler Master V850
  • SIlverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W

Same prices.

- OS -

•  Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM

I was at a toss up with Windows 8 and Windows 7. I chose Windows 8 because I like the small amount of time I got to play around with it. But I currently use Windows 7 and cant really complain about it. So again, I can go either way.

Peripherals

- Monitor -

I really have my sights set on the below option.

• LG 24UM95-P 34"

I think I will really enjoy the Ultra Widescreen. It looks great for Adobe products (longer timeline and workspace), as well as I think it would be really fun to play games in. It's expensive, but looks worth it.

- Mouse -

• Corsair Raptor M45

It just looks really cool. Honestly I feel I could use a basic mouse. However, Linus suggested this mouse for the 4k build because of the extra resolution in the monitor. The Ultra widescreen has more pixels as well so it makes sense to get this mouse for that reason as well.

- Keyboard -

• Ducky Shine 3

It really just seems cool.

Final Notes:

A lot of my options came from builds that I saw from Linus's videos. I know more options are out there and I would love to hear them. One thing that I do like about Linus's builds is that if I buy similar parts for the same case, I can use his videos as a reference on how to build it once I actually acquire the parts.

Thanks for your time in reading this. Please note I am a novice so some stuff I said above might be completely wrong.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Asiris

- Intro -

Hello everybody! I am saving up for a new PC that will be used for gaming, video editing, and some slight 3D work. I know about computers and their many different parts, however I am a complete novice when it comes to building them and what parts should be purchased for different needs. Instead of just asking you to list the parts you think I need, I have tried to research and provide some build options for you guys to help me with. I am also new to this forum, so if I'm not doing this right, please inform me. Thanks! :)

- What I want my PC for - 

Firstly, I do enjoy gaming and would like to actually be able to play some of the newer games in their best graphics without have serious performance issues. I also do plan on getting the Oculus Rift sometime soon, so having a PC that could handle the content that has been created for it would be awesome. My profession is video editing for a small company. I mainly use Adobe products such as Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects. Also I am learning how to do 2d animation, so I will most likely be using Adobe Flash in the near future. Lastly, I want to dabble around in some Game Engines such as Unity Engine and Unreal Engine.

So to summarize:

• Gaming in "Ultra" Graphics
  • Video Editing in Adobe Products
  • Messing around in Gaming Engines

- Why I am upgrading -

Because my $400 laptop is on it's way out.

- My Budget -

Honestly, I am willing to keep saving up until I have enough money to buy this build. However, I suppose a line should be drawn to help you, as well as me, determine what parts are best for me. So I have decided to make my budget $4000, although if I don't need all that money for my build, that's more than fine. 

- Where I live -

I live in the United States. So my purchases will most likely be through Newegg, Amazon, and other online electronic shops.

THE BUILD (My Proposal)

The Computer Itself

- Case -

There were a few options I ran into when looking at other builds. When it came down to my top two favorites, I chose:

• The Corsair Obsidian 900D
  • The Corsair Graphite Series 760t

I'm leaning towards the 760t because it looks sufficient for what I need at a lower price point.

- CPU -

The Key CPU that was always recommended in High-Performance builds was:

• Intel Core i7-4930K

- GPU -

This is one of my main problems. I have seen so many different opinions and options for GPUs. Firstly, I am leaning much more to buying Nvidia instead of AMD. I'm sure both are great and both have pros and cons. But for the sake of narrowing down my decisions, I chose Nvidia. So with that out of the way here is the options I chose:

• A single EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
  • A single Quadro K4000
  • OR both GPUs (Like in Linus's Ultimate Workstation Build (but with a 780 ti))

I want to use a Ultra widescreen monitor, for reasons described below. Since I am using only one Monitor for now, I don't plan on using Dual SLI GPUs. Now I'm not sure how accurate this is, as I am new to this whole thing. Please let me know what you think.

- Motherboard -

Like the CPU, only one motherboard was really prominent in the build guides that I found. However, I am always interested in other options.

• Asus X79 Deluxe

- SSD -

Memory is even more confusing to me than what GPU's to get. Especially when it comes to RAID configurations.

• 1 OR 2 Intel 730 Series 480GB SSDs (in RAID 0)
  • 1 OR 2 Samsung 840 EVO (in RAID 0)

Both seem like great options, however I don't know if I should buy two for the RAID option.

- HDD -

I know just how massive video editing files can be, so I understand that I will need plenty of space on my hard drives. These choices can be mixed and matched with the SSD options.

• 1 TO 4 WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drives (in RAID 1 - Raid 10)
  • 1 TO 4 WD Black 4TB Hard Drives (in Raid 1 - Raid 10)

I honestly don't really know how many of what Hard Drive to get, and even less so what Raid level to put them in. Help is very appreciated concerning HDD's and SDDS in Raid Levels.

- RAM -

I want at least 32GB of Ram, as I think it will be necessary for the type of work I do.

• Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB)
  • G.SKILL Ripjawz Z series 32GB (4 x 8GB)

- Cooling -

I don't know much about cooling, but I don't want to go with a complicated and expensive water cooling system using radiators or whatever. So this is what I have come up. More options would be greatly appreciated.

• BitFenix Specre Pro LED 120mm Case Fan
  • Corsair Hydro series H110 (I'm not sure what this really is apart from how Linus used it in his 4k gaming build)

- PSU -

• Cooler Master V850
  • SIlverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W

Same prices.

- OS -

•  Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM

I was at a toss up with Windows 8 and Windows 7. I chose Windows 8 because I like the small amount of time I got to play around with it. But I currently use Windows 7 and cant really complain about it. So again, I can go either way.

Peripherals

- Monitor -

I really have my sights set on the below option.

• LG 24UM95-P 34"

I think I will really enjoy the Ultra Widescreen. It looks great for Adobe products (longer timeline and workspace), as well as I think it would be really fun to play games in. It's expensive, but looks worth it.

- Mouse -

• Corsair Raptor M45

It just looks really cool. Honestly I feel I could use a basic mouse. However, Linus suggested this mouse for the 4k build because of the extra resolution in the monitor. The Ultra widescreen has more pixels as well so it makes sense to get this mouse for that reason as well.

- Keyboard -

• Ducky Shine 3

It really just seems cool.

Final Notes:

A lot of my options came from builds that I saw from Linus's videos. I know more options are out there and I would love to hear them. One thing that I do like about Linus's builds is that if I buy similar parts for the same case, I can use his videos as a reference on how to build it once I actually acquire the parts.

Thanks for your time in reading this. Please note I am a novice so some stuff I said above might be completely wrong.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Asiris

Uguu... this post is so long xD

Anyway, dont do SSD RAID, and if you got that UltraWHD then how about the 6GB version of the 780 instead of a 780Ti? I dont know if you will really need a Quadro or not since i'm not sure what are you working on, but how about a Titan Black instead of both of the 780 and Quadro?

Other than that this build is overkill to high heaven for everything I can think of xD so good luck~

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

The 900D is a bit (a bit more) too big for what you have...

Something like the Graphite 760T or the Obsidian 750D will be great for what you will have inside.

If you get two SSDs and run them in RAID 0, get the Intel 730 drives. Intel SSDs are known for legendary reliability.

You should get 4 Western Digital Red drives in RAID 10. WD Blacks are slightly faster, but RED drives are more optimized for RAID arrays. With RAID 10 you are going to have safe and fast storage. 

I believe that monitor is 1440p. The 780Ti should handle that resolution fine, the 6GB version is going to be better though. Is 21:9 really that necessary? Some games don't support it really well...

The mouse and keyboard are awesome  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

For the PSU, I'd go with the V850, just because of the very positive reviews all over the internet.

Memory - both kits are great, G.Skill is known for extremely stable memory, but with Corsair, you should be fine too. They're both awesome memory manufacturers. Pick whatever one you want, if one of them looks better you should go with that?

Get the Quadro only if you REALLY need it. It's mostly meant for professional work in Adobe suite and other programs like that. 

The motherboard is awesome, the H110 on your 4930K is going to be great. H110 performs great, 4930K is an awesome processor for gaming and for editing.

Good luck with the computer! Hope I've helped you! 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Uguu... this post is so long xD

Anyway, dont do SSD RAID, and if you got that UltraWHD then how about the 6GB version of the 780 instead of a 780Ti? I dont know if you will really need a Quadro or not since i'm not sure what are you working on, but how about a Titan Black instead of both of the 780 and Quadro?

Other than that this build is overkill to high heaven for everything I can think of xD so good luck~

Haha! Well, I'm glad I overshot.

A titan black might be a better option instead of the 780 ti + Quadro. I really don't know of course. However after reviewing I might just get the 780 (ti or regular) to start off, and add the Quadro whenever I need to.

Thanks for the comment! It really helps!

The 900D is a bit (a bit more) too big for what you have...

Something like the Graphite 760T or the Obsidian 750D will be great for what you will have inside.

If you get two SSDs and run them in RAID 0, get the Intel 730 drives. Intel SSDs are known for legendary reliability.

You should get 4 Western Digital Red drives in RAID 10. WD Blacks are slightly faster, but RED drives are more optimized for RAID arrays. With RAID 10 you are going to have safe and fast storage. 

I believe that monitor is 1440p. The 780Ti should handle that resolution fine, the 6GB version is going to be better though. Is 21:9 really that necessary? Some games don't support it really well...

The mouse and keyboard are awesome  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

For the PSU, I'd go with the V850, just because of the very positive reviews all over the internet.

Memory - both kits are great, G.Skill is known for extremely stable memory, but with Corsair, you should be fine too. They're both awesome memory manufacturers. Pick whatever one you want, if one of them looks better you should go with that?

Get the Quadro only if you REALLY need it. It's mostly meant for professional work in Adobe suite and other programs like that. 

The motherboard is awesome, the H110 on your 4930K is going to be great. H110 performs great, 4930K is an awesome processor for gaming and for editing.

Good luck with the computer! Hope I've helped you!

Thanks for all the help!

I'm slowly narrowing down my choices. I think I'll be better off to get a 780 ti and then add a Quadro if I need to.

I really am fascinated with wider displays like that. And I'm pretty sure I can change the display with black bars on the side if a particular game I want to play doesn't support 21:9.

Thanks, again!

There is also another option.

You might also get one of the new 4K monitors. They'll mostly challange 1 graphics cards when you are gaming but, when you are just editing video they have slightly more bigger space for stuff then that extra wild monitor. And you can get an different IPS panel for color correction.

As far as I know there are only couple of games that support that aspect ratio. 

Asus PB287Q 4K monitor starting from 519$

Also Asus PA279Q IPS panel monitor, (I belive it's a factory tuned, true 10bit display) is about 800$

So you can do the color correction on IPS and have a big workspace at 4K, around the same price as LG 34UM95-P (you wrote 24 instead of 34, took me a little while to find the monitor :D). And all your games will work without any problems :P:D

There are also more cheaper IPS monitors, But that one is the best I know.

Downsides as I mentioned above are, You might not be able to Max all games with 1 graphic card. You can Max nearly all of the old games. But I can't promise anything for present or future.

And for the `if` , you might want to get a higher W PSU for multiple Graphics cards. If you don't find your gaming performance to your needs and/or You need more Cuda Cores. Because Keep in mind that Linus didn't use any HDDs in that video.

Also there is another side of PSU's. How long will you be using your system. For me I got myself a big 1200W (I knew it's an overkill) PSU. But I'm still using it after 3 and half Years. And It's almost open 20hours everyday. So It might only be providing me 1000-900W now.

I hope you are not getting Chinese Ducky Shine btw :D If so I might also recommend Cherry brand keyboards. Since they are already building the switches, it's a little bit more cheaper and easier to ask for replacement parts when something goes wrong.

As for Case even a 400R can do the job. Unless you spend your time looking at your hardware. Yep the non window version. It gives 2 more extra fan slots at the side. You can create a very sweet high pressure with that much intake. It's just an alternative, But these small savings might enable you to just get that 2nd graphics card when you are getting the whole system. Quadro or another 780Ti.

That's all I have, Anyother component is just looking ok to me. Oh I also suggest WD Reds.

Edit: After looking a little bit closer I realized that 400R has 10 Fan mounting locations. You might ask why are you pushing towards a smaller case, reason is Higher pressure in the case. More fans and smaller area, with air being more dense it will carry heat from your radiator and other components more effectively. So yea. You might even get those "Quiet" fans (I don't really care about looks and noise, I have headphones and monitors to look at :P:D ) and create a higher pressure then those giant cases.

There is also another option.

You might also get one of the new 4K monitors. They'll mostly challange 1 graphics cards when you are gaming but, when you are just editing video they have slightly more bigger space for stuff then that extra wild monitor. And you can get an different IPS panel for color correction.

As far as I know there are only couple of games that support that aspect ratio. 

Asus PB287Q 4K monitor starting from 519$

Also Asus PA279Q IPS panel monitor, (I belive it's a factory tuned, true 10bit display) is about 800$

So you can do the color correction on IPS and have a big workspace at 4K, around the same price as LG 34UM95-P (you wrote 24 instead of 34, took me a little while to find the monitor :D). And all your games will work without any problems :P:D

There are also more cheaper IPS monitors, But that one is the best I know.

Downsides as I mentioned above are, You might not be able to Max all games with 1 graphic card. You can Max nearly all of the old games. But I can't promise anything for present or future.

And for the `if` , you might want to get a higher W PSU for multiple Graphics cards. If you don't find your gaming performance to your needs and/or You need more Cuda Cores. Because Keep in mind that Linus didn't use any HDDs in that video.

Also there is another side of PSU's. How long will you be using your system. For me I got myself a big 1200W (I knew it's an overkill) PSU. But I'm still using it after 3 and half Years. And It's almost open 20hours everyday. So It might only be providing me 1000-900W now.

I hope you are not getting Chinese Ducky Shine btw :D If so I might also recommend Cherry brand keyboards. Since they are already building the switches, it's a little bit more cheaper and easier to ask for replacement parts when something goes wrong.

As for Case even a 400R can do the job. Unless you spend your time looking at your hardware. Yep the non window version. It gives 2 more extra fan slots at the side. You can create a very sweet high pressure with that much intake. It's just an alternative, But these small savings might enable you to just get that 2nd graphics card when you are getting the whole system. Quadro or another 780Ti.

That's all I have, Anyother component is just looking ok to me. Oh I also suggest WD Reds.

Edit: After looking a little bit closer I realized that 400R has 10 Fan mounting locations. You might ask why are you pushing towards a smaller case, reason is Higher pressure in the case. More fans and smaller area, with air being more dense it will carry heat from your radiator and other components more effectively. So yea. You might even get those "Quiet" fans (I don't really care about looks and noise, I have headphones and monitors to look at :P:D ) and create a higher pressure then those giant cases.

Thanks for the response, this was great!

The 4k + extra panel option you listed here is a great alternative. It is very tempting for sure.

The only thing I would have to say is that while there is only a few games that support 21:9, I believe more games will be made that will support it in the future. Also, for the games that don't, I really think that the resolution on the screen can be changed to 16:9 so you can play those games. Yeah, it would be annoying to have to change the resolution just to play some games, but I won't be primarily playing video games on this anyway. Perhaps one or two games that I really like. I can really see myself video editing and watching movies much more than gaming. Lastly, I found the monitor for $900 on B&H photo and video. So it isn't that much more expensive than a 4k or IPS display. (I think)

The extra panel for color correction does seem like an awesome thing however. No matter if I go for the Ultra widscreen or the 4k I am going to consider this for a future purchase.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I will probably be using my setup for most of the day. So I will consider more W.

The 400R looks awesome, and again it is something I am going to have to consider. Thanks so much for all this info! It helps a bunch!

Alright guys, thanks to all of you guys and tons of research I have come up with my final build that I plan to save up for. So without further ado:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K

Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series

Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB

SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB (x2 in Raid 0)

HDD: Western Digital Red NAS (x4 in Raid 10)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB

PSU: Silversonte Tek 1200w

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blue-Ray/DVD

Fans: Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm Blue (4)

Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm Blue (4)

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34UM95

Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 While LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)

Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Headphones: Sony MDR-7506

Just the Computer, without the peripherals, will cost me about $4000 (depending if I can get some good deals or not). The peripherals all cost about $1500. So in total this entire build will cost me around $5500.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I can start saving for this build with confidence that it is the right machine for me.

Edit: Just for Kicks and Giggles:

akXNuI2.png

I don't know or care how much you can save every month but keep in mind the New intel 8 Core's are coming. So before buying it online, go to a dealership and ask the guys who are working there if they can tell you the new cpu is coming soon. Because they'll be informed about upcoming items before they hit the shelves.

Other then that, Have fun :D

I don't know or care how much you can save every month but keep in mind the New intel 8 Core's are coming. So before buying it online, go to a dealership and ask the guys who are working there if they can tell you the new cpu is coming soon. Because they'll be informed about upcoming items before they hit the shelves.

Other then that, Have fun :D

Oh really?! Thanks so much, I'll keep that in mind!