Seasonic X750 - whining

peterpepo

Hello,

My Seasonic X Series 750 started whining yesterday.

First day, it was nice and quiet. Yesterday it started squealing like a pig. Ok, i am bit oversensitive on high-frequency sound and I have my pc on table.

But is this normal ? Should I worry and try to exchange it, or is it common, and new one will probably do the same ?

As far, as I know, the PSU should be single rail, so wrong cable connections shoudln't be a problem ?

First, I thought it is a GPU - it was hearable when GPU benchmarking. But on GPU benchmark it is different.

Then i tried leave the card as is and bench CPU -> whining again.

When i put both - CPU and GPU for benchmark, the whining magically disappears, or it is lot quieter.

What's your oppinion on this ?

RMA it, I personally don't tolerate noises from my PSU, no it isn't normal (although some may argue that it can be for Seasonic lol) it isn't that common, and the likelyhood of your replacement doing it also is low.

Your PSU is a whiney b*tch.

Seriously, RMA it.

Does it whines too when you are just playing games or doing non-heavy load tasks?

Have you tried plugging you pc to different wall socket in your house? Preferably ones on different breaker.

Hmm, it is whinig slightly on idle.
When i bench CPU / GPU only, it whines louder.

And when i put my PC on full load - CPU and GPU on benchmarking, it's quiet.

But it's definitely hearable.

Also, is there any way to make sure, that it's the PSU ? The sure bet would be to remove graphics card from system probably.

GPU whines too, quite loud, but only at 100% load during Furmark.

• 2 months later...

Hello, are there anyone who could contribute to this thread ?
Is it worth to RMA the PSU ? It's making constant high pitch noise.. It doesn't change with load, only when i fully load my PC, stop hear it, what could be caused by fans going harder.

I am asking, because i don't want to be 30 days without PSU completely, and then get it back with words "this noise isn't reason to RMA"... I have read somewhere, that high efficiency PSU's with F2C, what this seasonic should have, tend do make some kind of noise due to very fast switching and adapting psu to current load.

Btw, it whines without any load too. It's not mobo-psu combination. I removed psu, started it by shorting pins PSU-ON... It whines also :(

I got a Seasonic X-850 and leaving aside all the crap comments about seasonic being the best, seasonic being the worst, my PSU also started making some noise recently. Very very subtle noise though. Still haven't had the chance to go through the process of determining why that is happening.. the noise started after I disabled hybrid mode, switched the power cord, changed wall mount and apparently there was something wrong with the power strip it was connected to and experienced a few sudden shutdowns down the road. Will look into it sometime soon.

Anyway, noise alone won't affect the performance of your PSU so the only downside to having a PSU which ''buzzes'' is that it buzzes. Now, if you concentrate you will probably hear some noise coming from your monitor, audio setup, lights, fans and so on. Unless it DOES really get to your nerves because of the high pitch and volume I'd suggest you just just get over it.

Also, please don't short pins PSU on unless you know what you're doing.

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

Also, please don't short pins PSU on unless you know what you're doing.

Don't worry. The PSU was completely out of the case, not connected to anything. It was pins PSU-ON and black wire...

Anyway, my seasonic does exactly this same noise as your probably does. At first, when i start computer definitely can hear it. Then after a while, it disappers in my ears, when i concetrate on game, work or whatever, but then I realize "what the f...", it's grinding my ears.

Hello, are there anyone who could contribute to this thread ?

Is it worth to RMA the PSU ? It's making constant high pitch noise.. It doesn't change with load, only when i fully load my PC, stop hear it, what could be caused by fans going harder.

I am asking, because i don't want to be 30 days without PSU completely, and then get it back with words "this noise isn't reason to RMA"... I have read somewhere, that high efficiency PSU's with F2C, what this seasonic should have, tend do make some kind of noise due to very fast switching and adapting psu to current load.

Btw, it whines without any load too. It's not mobo-psu combination. I removed psu, started it by shorting pins PSU-ON... It whines also :(

They accept coil whine as RMA. You can get away with a 30-40$ PSU for a short period though. Order a cheap one, RMA your Seasonic, hopefully you'll get one thats quiet and sell that cheap PSU. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9 (Seasonic unit, isn't garbage).

They accept coil whine as RMA. You can get away with a 30-40$ PSU for a short period though. Order a cheap one, RMA your Seasonic, hopefully you'll get one thats quiet and sell that cheap PSU. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9 (Seasonic unit, isn't garbage).

Yup I have that linked one

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hello,

My Seasonic X Series 750 started whining yesterday.

What's your oppinion on this ?

Before you RMA it (and yes if you get coil whine you should RMA it)  I have heard that certain power saving modes in the motherboard BIOS/UEFI can cause coil whine.  Try disabling them and see if it goes away. 

If not RMA the sucker.

1 Timothy 1:15