Help with a future proof build?

ncktrug

Hello,

I am going to be building or perhaps ordering a new PC from a high-end Custom PC builder.

Anyway, coming from a Mac Pro which I will be switching over from due simply to upgradeability, sheer power, and compatibility.

Having said this, I am looking for the best possible.

I'm thinking this build

• Intel® Core™ i7 4930K Six-core 3.4GHz/3.9GHz Turbo 12MB L3 Cache w/ HyperThreading 
  • 16GB Corsair® Vengeance™ DDR3- 2133 (4x4GB)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX TITAN Black 6GB GDDR5 3D Vision Surround w/PhysX
  • 1200 Watt Corsair® Professional Series AX1200 80+ Gold Certified Modular Power Supply ROHS
  • 1TB Samsung® 840 EVO SSD
  • GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4
  • NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case

Now, this is where I need help, obviously I can plunk down a reasonable amount of change, and for good reason. 

I want to be capable of extreme upgrades. I'm also thinking of waiting until Q4 for NVIDIA Maxwell GPU's and Intel Broadwell CPU's. 

My goal is to be able to upgrade and be ready for NVIDIA Pascal GPU's and Intel CannonLake CPU's which are both supposedly releasing in 2016. 

SO whoever wants to recommend what I should do as far as my build goes please help me out.

Thanks

Nick

:)

What is your budget? x79 and titans aren't that great 

Im looking to spend around 4k

4K of what? You can't buy much with 4000 yen for example. 

4K of what? You can't buy much with 4000 yen for example. 

Dollars -_-

You shouldn't need to spend that much. Here is this

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1795.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

which will last for quite a while. If you absolutely insist in spending $4k http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QF97GX

Dollars -_-

I'm going to assume USD. 

Well, if you're wanting it to last as long as possible, it might be worth waiting for a few things. Haswell-E and Maxwell aren't too far off, so it could be worth it to hold off for them. It will cost a fair bit more though, with the price of new DDR4 RAM. 

In terms of GPU performance, unless you're using something like a 4K resolution, I wouldn't really recommend Titan Blacks. 290Xs are much better value. PSU is pretty overkill too, even for an extreme PC. Unless you plan on having 3/4GPUs, you shouldn't need 1200w.

I'm going to assume USD. 

Well, if you're wanting it to last as long as possible, it might be worth waiting for a few things. Haswell-E and Maxwell aren't too far off, so it could be worth it to hold off for them. It will cost a fair bit more though, with the price of new DDR4 RAM. 

In terms of GPU performance, unless you're using something like a 4K resolution, I wouldn't really recommend Titan Blacks. 290Xs are much better value. PSU is pretty overkill too, even for an extreme PC. Unless you plan on having 3/4GPUs, you shouldn't need 1200w.

Well, at one point I hope to have 3-4 way SLI for a total of 24GB of Vram, and yes I am willing to buy 3 4k monitors and have already looked into this. 

which will last for quite a while. If you absolutely insist in spending $4k http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QF97GX

Seems pretty average for what he's wanting. 

1TB and 256GB for a 'future proof' build doesn't seem right to me. And if he's wanting it to last as long as possible, might as well go with the most powerful GPU rather than one step down. He doesn't seem to be short on money if he's looking at spending $4,000. Even with the upgrades I mentioned, there heaps of room left for monitors and such. 

Well, at one point I hope to have 3-4 way SLI for a total of 24GB of Vram, and yes I am willing to buy 3 4k monitors and have already looked into this. 

Just so you know, NOTHING will run 3 4K monitors well right now. You'll also have a total of 6GB VRAM with 4 Titan Blacks, it doesn't stack. 

Seems pretty average for what he's wanting. 

1TB and 256GB for a 'future proof' build doesn't seem right to me. And if he's wanting it to last as long as possible, might as well go with the most powerful GPU rather than one step down. He doesn't seem to be short on money if he's looking at spending $4,000. Even with the upgrades I mentioned, there heaps of room left for monitors and such. 

Im looking to upgrade again in 2016, when Pascal and Cannlake drop. So this is another big part, something very upgradeable as well as future proof.

Hmm this sounds decent

Just so you know, NOTHING will run 3 4K monitors well right now. You'll also have a total of 6GB VRAM with 4 Titan Blacks, it doesn't stack. 

Is it worth the extra cash for say, a 4960X Extreme? 

Also, pardon my stupidity but isn't this what SLI is for?

VRAM doesn't stack in SLI or CrossfireX. If you buy four GTX Titan Blacks, you're still only going to have 6GB of VRAM.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Also, pardon my stupidity but isn't this what SLI is for?

SLI combines GPU power, but not VRAM. The textures for a game still need to be stored in each card's VRAM so that they have the data needed to draw the frames. If VRAM stacked, there'd be pretty much no point in cards with more VRAM. 

Depends on your usage. Video editing, after effects, rendering and modelling, yeah it will help. Gaming? Not really, it's got way more than enough power for any set up. 

VRAM doesn't stack in SLI or CrossfireX. If you buy four GTX Titan Blacks, you're still only going to have 6GB of VRAM.

So what's the point of it then?

SLI combines GPU power, but not VRAM. The textures for a game still need to be stored in each card's VRAM so that they have the data needed to draw the frames. If VRAM stacked, there'd be pretty much no point in cards with more VRAM. 

Depends on your usage. Video editing, after effects, rendering and modelling, yeah it will help. Gaming? Not really, it's got way more than enough power for any set up

Basically what your saying is I'd be better off with a Titan Z as opposed to 3-4 Titan Blacks?

Basically what your saying is I'd be better off with a Titan Z as opposed to 3-4 Titan Blacks?

No, you'd be better off with 4 Titan Blacks. They will outright perform better. 

No, you'd be better off with 4 Titan Blacks. They will outright perform better. 

Man, I'm so confused haha

Man, I'm so confused haha. 

A single GTX Titan Z is equivalent to two downclocked GTX Titan Blacks. You will theoretically get double the performance of the GTX Titan Z if you get four GTX Titan Blacks, but with scaling, you're not going to get exactly twice the performance. 

I suggest that you watch this TechQuickie video on SLI get a basic understanding of it.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Man, I'm so confused haha. 

If you're thinking that the Titan Z has 12GB VRAM, then it's not really 12GB. It's 12GB on the card, but because it has two GPUs, it's 6GB per GPU, so 6GB effective. There's no games that will use even close to 12GB right now, and you'd run out of power with any set up before you got to that point anyway. 

If you plan on 3x4K, you're going to have to reduce settings to medium at most with 4x Titan Blacks to get decent FPS in modern games. It's really not a viable option right now, nor in the near future. 

It's possible to run it at very playable frame rates.

It's not as hard as most people make it out to seem.

Still not something I'd ever consider recommending though.

Im looking to upgrade again in 2016, when Pascal and Cannlake drop. So this is another big part, something very upgradeable as well as future proof.

If you're upgrading that soon, why spend all that money on top tier parts?

Also, you should really stop using the phrase future proof. There's no such thing. The stuff coming out will always be better, and your parts will be pretty obsolete within a few years.

Nothing will change that.

No. Definitely not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red