New Modem

CowsGoMoo32

I've got the SB6141 and I'm using the Asus RT-N66U.  They work great together.  That modem's little brother (the sb6121) is also a great modem too and can save you about $20.  If you don't need 150+Mbps internet then the sb6121 is very reliable.

They are both great at what they do.  Updating the firmware of the router is super easy to do.  Just go to the administration tab of the router's web UI and it will ask if you want to update to the latest version firmware.  I don't always care for the latest versions though.  The latest firmware version from Asus...376-1071 had some bugs such as the client device listing showing as empty even though devices are connected.  SO I dropped mine back a few revisions to...374_979.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.28.45 PM.png

Here is a link to the Asus N66U firmwares.  http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8

I wouldn't recommend trying DD-WRT on the Asus though until you at least try using Asus own firmwares.  DD-WRT is great (I use it on a few of my other routers) but it is soooo over the top in features it may overwhelm you in the setup/configuration.

I don't upgrade the firmware of the modem though, only the router.  In fact, I don't think there is a way (that I know of anyway) to update the SB6141 firmware.  You can access the modems web UI by typing in the 192.168.100.1 address of the modem in a web browser after it is setup.  No place in the modem's web UI is there a way to upgrade the firmware.  Works great out of the box though.

screenshots of the SB6141 web UI.  It is basically just information stuff and doesn't allow firmware upgrades or configuring it.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.22.48 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.23.28 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.23.59 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.24.30 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.25.09 PM.png

Wow thanks a ton.

i5-3570k l ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155 I G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5' 7200RPM I Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB I Cooler Master Storm Enforcer I SeaSonic 620W I Windows 7

combo modems / routers are never really that good

Hmm, why is that? I am looking for a new moden and/or router as we speak.

Hmm, why is that? I am looking for a new moden and/or router as we speak.

I don't know.. the reviews are just never good.  I've never seen someone who recommends one

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I wonder is it because they are trying to do too many things are once, and thus not doing any of them well.

I wonder is it because they are trying to do too many things are once, and thus not doing any of them well.

Likely they try to hit a low price, but they both suck because of it

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Likely they try to hit a low price, but they both suck because of it

Thats my guess too.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.