New Modem

CowsGoMoo32

I have TWC. Are speeds are like 25 down 5 up.

We need 4 plus ethenet ports and wift built all into one unit.

Here is the catch we can only use one of the modems Here

...Here are the options for what we need...

MOTOROLA SBG6580

Motorola Surfboard Extreme SBG6782-AC

Netgear N450-100NAS

Zoom 5350 Wireless Router

ZOOM DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wireless-N Router (5352-00-00)

i5-3570k l ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155 I G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5' 7200RPM I Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB I Cooler Master Storm Enforcer I SeaSonic 620W I Windows 7

6 ports... u srs?  the SB6141 is the best one there, but it has 1 port and no wifi

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

6 ports... u srs?  the SB6141 is the best one there, but it has 1 port and no wifi

Really nooby but then how do we plug in all our ethernet cables and get wifi?

i5-3570k l ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155 I G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5' 7200RPM I Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB I Cooler Master Storm Enforcer I SeaSonic 620W I Windows 7

Really nooby but then how do we plug in all our ethernet cables and get wifi?

you buy a router for that.  combo modems / routers are never really that good

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

You buy a switch or a router 

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

you buy a router for that.  combo modems / routers are never really that good

You buy a switch or a router

So would yall mind throwing together something to do both wifi and internet with 6 ports?

The best router I have ever owned is an Apple AirPort Extreme. By far the most expensive... by far the best. An instant solid connection, but not the best range.

The problem is it doesn't have enough ports for you.

Personally I'd get the best router you can afford, regardless of the number of ports, then use a switch to adapt it.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

The best router I have ever owned is an Apple AirPort Extreme. By far the most expensive... by far the best. An instant solid connection, but not the best range.

The problem is it doesn't have enough ports for you.

Personally I'd get the best router you can afford, regardless of the number of ports, then use a switch to adapt it.

Router is just for wifi?

Edit: 4 ports actually works fine.

Router is just for wifi?

Basically yes. Typically it's wifi with a built in switch.

If wifi is important to you then get the best wifi unit you can, then add extra ports with a switch if necessary.

You could even just buy a switch, then add wifi to it. 

Basically yes. Typically it's wifi with a built in switch.

If wifi is important to you then get the best wifi unit you can, then add extra ports with a switch if necessary.

You could even just buy a switch, then add wifi to it.

Just learned we do only need 4 ports. But does this apple thing do wifi and plug it into the modem and go?

Edit: I think we could do the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 with the Airport extreme correct? How does that all connect?

Just learned we do only need 4 ports. But does this apple thing do wifi and plug it into the modem and go?

Edit: I think we could do the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 with the Airport extreme correct? How does that all connect?

By no means is the Apple stuff your only choice, but compared to the high end Asus and D-Link ones we've used, it's easily the best in terms of stability and connection reliability.

Most routers, including the Apple ones just plug right into your modem using a regular ethernet cable.

After a very quick Google search it appears that the modem you mentioned has an ethernet port, meaning yes you can just plug and play. The Apple routers are ridiculously easy to set up if you have never done it before, not to say that others will be that much more difficult depending on what you choose.

You don't really need the apple router I'd recommend this http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1405354561&sr=1-1&keywords=router

It'd go cable -> modem -> ethernet from modem -> WAN on router -> router to other devices

You don't really need the apple router I'd recommend this http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1405354561&sr=1-1&keywords=router

It'd go cable -> modem -> ethernet from modem -> WAN on router -> router to other devices

We had an Asus one very similar to that. Fantastic range but the wifi would periodically drop out for a couple of seconds and connection times were slow compared to our current setup. Same story with the D-Link one we owned before it.

Maybe it's some kind of interference in my area and/or house, who knows. What I can tell you though is that the Apple one, whilst range isn't the greatest, never skips a beat.

By no means is the Apple stuff your only choice, but compared to the high end Asus and D-Link ones we've used, it's easily the best in terms of stability and connection reliability.

Most routers, including the Apple ones just plug right into your modem using a regular ethernet cable.

After a very quick Google search it appears that the modem you mentioned has an ethernet port, meaning yes you can just plug and play. The Apple routers are ridiculously easy to set up if you have never done it before, not to say that others will be that much more difficult depending on what you choose.

So time Warner doesn't care what router you have as long as you have the modem that is approved by them correct?

So time Warner doesn't care what router you have as long as you have the modem that is approved by them correct?

You can plug anything you like into your modem. Routers, switches... anything.

Some providers specify you must use their modem, some say you can use your own. It sounds like you plan on using the one they give you so you shouldn't have any problems.

You can plug anything you like into your modem. Routers, switches... anything.

Some providers specify you must use their modem, some say you can use your own. It sounds like you plan on using the one they give you so you shouldn't have any problems.

Ya we rent from them but long story = Got fucked over so buying our own.

So will be buying both. ASUS i think since it is a little cheaper and the motorola modem since it is cheapish.

Final questions and confirmation:

The Motorola SURFboard SB6141 is on the approved modem list and all routers are approved so the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 and the ASUS RT-N66W Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router will work together

Now how hard is it to update the firmware on the modem since there seems to be issues with older firmwares on it?

Also I dont see a WAN port on the ASUS one is there one?

Only questions right there.

You should be fine with that. Not that I know anything about the modem. My provider links the modem to our line. Without some modding it would be impossible to use a 3rd party modem with my provider.

Final questions and confirmation:

The Motorola SURFboard SB6141 is on the approved modem list and all routers are approved so the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 and the ASUS RT-N66W Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router will work together

Now how hard is it to update the firmware on the modem since there seems to be issues with older firmwares on it?

Also I dont see a WAN port on the ASUS one is there one?

Only questions right there.

Firmware updates are usually as easy as clicking a button within the router settings page.

I suggest looking at DDWRT though. See if that's a better option for your needs. You can always revert back to an official firmware.

Not all routers have a dedicated WAN port, just plug it in any or check the manual to be sure.

Firmware updates are usually as easy as clicking a button within the router settings page.

I suggest looking at DDWRT though. See if that's a better option for your needs. You can always revert back to an official firmware.

Not all routers have a dedicated WAN port, just plug it in any or check the manual to be sure.

DDWRT is what?

A custom firmware for routers that gives you more options and settings to play with.

DDWRT is what?

Ddwrt is an open source linux based router firmware.. It kicks ass on my router

Yes it completely transformed the D-Link one I mentioned earlier, but the hardware still didn't work right.

Yes it completely transformed the D-Link one I mentioned earlier, but the hardware still didn't work right.

Without using that software is there an easy way to update the firmware? OhJey opinion on the asus and the motorola together?

I've got the SB6141 and I'm using the Asus RT-N66U.  They work great together.  That modem's little brother (the sb6121) is also a great modem too and can save you about $20.  If you don't need 150+Mbps internet then the sb6121 is very reliable.

They are both great at what they do.  Updating the firmware of the router is super easy to do.  Just go to the administration tab of the router's web UI and it will ask if you want to update to the latest version firmware.  I don't always care for the latest versions though.  The latest firmware version from Asus...376-1071 had some bugs such as the client device listing showing as empty even though devices are connected.  SO I dropped mine back a few revisions to...374_979.

post-3852-0-02707600-1405394958_thumb.pn

Here is a link to the Asus N66U firmwares.  http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8

I wouldn't recommend trying DD-WRT on the Asus though until you at least try using Asus own firmwares.  DD-WRT is great (I use it on a few of my other routers) but it is soooo over the top in features it may overwhelm you in the setup/configuration.

I don't upgrade the firmware of the modem though, only the router.  In fact, I don't think there is a way (that I know of anyway) to update the SB6141 firmware.  You can access the modems web UI by typing in the 192.168.100.1 address of the modem in a web browser after it is setup.  No place in the modem's web UI is there a way to upgrade the firmware.  Works great out of the box though.

screenshots of the SB6141 web UI.  It is basically just information stuff and doesn't allow firmware upgrades or configuring it.

post-3852-0-68482800-1405394825_thumb.pn

post-3852-0-31804300-1405394842_thumb.pn

post-3852-0-49706000-1405394856_thumb.pn

post-3852-0-81540800-1405394866_thumb.pn

post-3852-0-16395500-1405394881.png