Look at this badboy!

viliuks

So I was just going through a pile of junk and I found this! Its a AMD Sempron CPU dated back to 1999. That's going to be framed and put on my wall.
@DEcobra11 posted the link to the cpu http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Sempron%202200+%20-%20SDA2200DUT3D%20%28SDA2200BOX%29.html

Front and back.

s8Gmxrb.jpg

DzwHxiC.jpg

Close up on the writing on black.

S7i4qer.jpg

yOCXMCq.jpg

Close up on the chip. Oh noes its broken :c

v2mv12p.jpg

Close up on the pins
vMPznQ3.jpg

Every photo was taken by my phone and I know the first two pics are blurry because I got shaky hands. The macro is made from this video: 

P.S it can run crysis 3

P.S it can run crysis 3

Of course it can crysis 3 is a console port ^^

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Of course it can crysis 3 is a console port ^^

Dammnnn right.

-snip-

oh my god. I heard of this, and i saw your pictures and i wonder how you got it that close. I Took pictures though binaculars, but I never thought this would work. BRB everyone!

and yay crysis at .0005 FPS 

@Slick and @LinusTech should see this :P

oh my god. I heard of this, and i saw your pictures and i wonder how you got it that close. I Took pictures though binaculars, but I never thought this would work. BRB everyone!

Try it it really works :P

Still better than my pc :P

Does it work?

My XP 2600+ still working (also I'm modding for it ^.^), even it felt into the ground, a hammer felt accidentally on it, the mb felt from 1 m of height when it was installed and survived a travel with furniture in a van when I was moving ._.

hmm I dont really know I have everything that it needs it should work replace the thermal paste and stuff and I will see. And I will need to re-install windows on that pc. Because the cpu was taken out really long time but everything in the case is still there. So maybe tomorrow I will try to fire the pc up and re-install windows, and Pm you if it works. 

another question could be can it even run Windows 7? I'm pretty sure earlier version would be not supported expect Vista maybe with sp2

PS - Your Camera is pretty bad.

its a mobile camera using a lazer pointer glass. 

I doubt it could run windows 7. Maybe run, but not be usable? I dont know if the mobo it goes with can handle enough ram

heh I have a Sempron 3000+ (in an old Compaq of some kind, still works!). :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes it can, I can confirm that, I installed W7 on my XP 2600+, EVEN IN MY PENTIUM III

But you won't be able to enable aero, well that's GPU dependent but I don't think he's going to buy a GPU compatible with directx 9 an PS 3.0 for AGP just for this :P

I ran it on my K6. Not -2, just K6. SO SLOWWWWWWW.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The fun fact is that isn't bc of the CPU... it's BC of the RAM :D

I could confirm that in a experiment with a Northwood pentium IV

*EDITING*

I had 768MB, but the video card was a Vanta 16 or something along those lines. It had like 4MB of VRAM.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I was over with @jacobs4525 and we found a Pentium 2 in a Windows 95 system. You should see the socket on that thing. :P

Pentium_II_front.jpg

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I was over with @jacobs4525 and we found a Pentium 2 in a Windows 95 system. You should see the socket on that thing. :P

Stricktly speaking that'd be a slot, not a socket. Also, I have one of those as well.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I'm not referring to RAM amount, I'm referring to RAM bandwidth

Whatever PC133's bandwidth was...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

1066 MB/s

And I spoilt my experiment: pentium IV in a MB that had a problem that RAM could only offer ~350 MB/s of bandwidth :D

That's it? Wow... Poor Pentium 4.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Stricktly speaking that'd be a slot, not a socket. Also, I have one of those as well.

I realize...they started doing socketed chips when they ran out of space on the slot :P

The Pentium Anniversary Edition should have come like that, with its own custom motherboard. Like a pin to pin adapter for LGA 1150. Now THAT would have been awesome. They would probably run into issues with latency though...there's a reason they use FCLGA these days.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There are slot-socket adaptors :P

Also the pentium MMX was PGA, and it's older than a pentium II...

Well they did eventually did switch to PGA and LGA, and it was probably when their die shrinks made it infeasible to have such a low density of pins.

Still, I'd like to see an LGA 1150-some new slot adapter for the Anniversary Edition. Instead we get the special -58 SKU and a copper core cooling unit in a product line where aluminum is the default.

We can still hope...right? :P

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Stock cooler has copper inside.

Slot would be a bit of trouble for new heatsinks (sagging, compatibility...), also it requires a PCB = more materials = price...

They put copper inside the one that comes with the Anniversary Edition, (so you can overclock it with the stock cooler) but ordinarily the Pentiums have aluminum core coolers and only the higher end Core-i series have copper core coolers. See Linus's interview with the Intel guy.

I know it costs more, I know...but it's the 20th anniversary. C'mon Intel, loosen your belt for once. The people who buy boxed processors are such a small part of your market anyways! Why not give us something really cool to commemorate it? Maybe for the 25th? :P

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I guess you could say that chip...

-snip-

...Is chipped.

slickfacepalm.gif

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Yeah, but not in slot form factor :P, needs more space and isn't latency friendly

What I meant by latency is not that slots are inherently more latent but the whole reason Intel die shrinks is to reduce the distance between the transistors in the CPU thus allowing them to increase their density and as a result the electrons have to travel shorter distances to activate the transistors.

If you were to split all of the LGA pins out and put them on a socket, you may run into issues with that. If for example you were to solder several billion transistors to a PCB using a Core-series die shot as a guide, the result would be almost unusably slow because the transistors are so far apart. Near light speed is still not fast enough for Intel. :P

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Slots require longer buses, this isn't good when managing precise voltages

I would trade the unlocking for the slot.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /