Best budget mobile gpu?

Probenja

I was bored so i started browsing and searching for laptops to (hopefully) replace my netbook and i wanted a 14" laptop with a discrete gpu and the most powerful ones i could find in my price point are the AMD Radeon R7 M265 and the Nvidia GeForce GT 740m, both 2gb ddr3 and they seem to be very similar but they have different technologies:

The R7 M265 has:

AMD Enduro technology

AMD App Acceleration
AMD PowerPlay
AMD PowerTune technology
AMD Eyefinity
Mantle API6

The 740m has:
DirectX 11
CUDA
3D Vision
Optimus
PhysiX
GPU Boost 2.0

I have no idea what those "features" mean so if you guys could help me out because those laptops are really similar except from the gpu. 

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

First one is way better, 740m is shit.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

i dont know if their policy changed yet but

AMD GPU drivers updates are from the OEM (HP dell etc) which means they can drop support almost immediately and i never had any luck trying to install hacked drivers

if this is still the case

always go Nvidia since u can download the drivers directly from them

740 is slow are u sure u cant find anything better

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

First one is way better, 740m is shit.

Not really, they are pretty much the same in terms of performance (though they are both kind of shit, I'll give you that :P)

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Oh boy...

Most of these are advertisement more or less, but let me start:

On the AMD side we have:

- Mantle Support (AMDs new graphics API)

- Eyefinity (Support for multiple displays to work together to create on larger image-makes not much sense on a laptop imo)

- All of the other AMD crap is mobile power consumption optimisation stuff, none of it you really have to worry about and they all just carry fancy names to sound good and work as advertising

On the Nvidia Side:

--> Easy: All the features you have on a desktop GPU really...

So if you have no need for these features for a specific thing, you can really ignore them. Look at what gives you the best performance.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

M265

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Not really, they are pretty much the same in terms of performance (though they are both kind of shit, I'll give you that :P)

Coming from someone who has dual GTX Titan SLI, duh!

@Probenja

Both are OK GPUs. Both will be fine for some casual gaming. Expect medium settings at 720p in most recent games. They are both not gaming laptop grade graphics, but I think you're aware of that. 

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Coming from someone who has dual GTX Titan SLI, duh!

@Probenja

Both are OK GPUs. Both will be fine for some casual gaming. Expect medium settings at 720p in most recent games. They are both not gaming laptop grade graphics, but I think you're aware of that. 

No, not from someone who has dual GTX Titans, from pretty much anyone who has a 'gaming PC'.

Here's the GT 740M compared to the 750ti (relatively low end card)

d4a99cd22a35ff2f34775d75d6a40f15.png

As you can see, it's shit.

(except in DX9 dat beastome doe)

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

No, not from someone who has dual GTX Titans, from pretty much anyone who has a 'gaming PC'.

Here's the GT 740M compared to the 750ti (relatively low end card)

d4a99cd22a35ff2f34775d75d6a40f15.png

As you can see, it's shit.

(except in DX9 dat beastome doe)

Well yes, but considering that this is a mobile GPU... A 740M most likely cost more to put in a notebook than a 750Ti costs to buy in the store. Just not comparable to a desktop. you don't compare the computer power of your smartphone to a laptop either.

Well yes, but considering that this is a mobile GPU... A 740M most likely cost more to put in a notebook than a 750Ti costs to buy in the store. Just not comparable to a desktop. you don't compare the computer power of your smartphone to a laptop either.

Fair enough, well here it is compared to a low end MOBILE GPU:

c1a093cc6cf0b31e7c045ce66b69bb89.png

As you can see... it's shit. Sure it might be cheap, and sure it's not made for gaming, but just looking at the numbers, how could you deny it being crap? :D

I am totally aware that these will not perform like an 880m for example, but its the best i can go with the amount of money i can spend, i could get a 750m but i don't think its worth it because i am getting a bigger and heavier laptop and i really don't need the best performance as these will still be 2x the power of an intel hd 4400.

Also i am not going to be playing games at 1080p with ultra high settings, i will be playing casual games at 720p with low-mid settings as i am already used to doing on my pc (that is also on igpu).

I guess i will get the one that is cheaper.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Fair enough, well here it is compared to a low end MOBILE GPU:

c1a093cc6cf0b31e7c045ce66b69bb89.png

As you can see... it's shit. Sure it might be cheap, and sure it's not made for gaming, but just looking at the numbers, how could you deny it being crap? :D

Alright, fair enough. Let's just say...it is shit :D I seriously didn't expect it to be this bad... I guess if it is all he can afford, then that is what it is, but he should opt for something like a 750m at least.