how important is the max speed/max accel for mice?

tornados2111

I've been reading some reviews of mouse on some other websites... Cough overclockers cough... Shame on me

Anyway I noticed that they use a program which will output the mouse's polling rate, dpi setting and m/s which I take as speed? I expected these tests to instead report miliseconds as from what I've read, non native dpi and non native polling rate can introduce lag.

. So this got me thinking, how important is this 2-3m/s and will it ever effecct anything? Should I just ignore it, and what happens if your mouse goes higher than this speed, does it stop tracking?

Furthermore, on spec sheets i only found ratings for mice's acceleration in "g"s. Does this matter either?

if you guys could clear my head on this i would appreciate :D

When you play fps games, if you need to make a sudden turn you will do so by moving the mouse very fast.

Mouse sensors have a certain max speed before their tracking malfunctions. The behavior above the speed is different from sensor to sensor ,some stop others throw the cursor around and don't follow your swipe.If ,while moving the mouse, you cross that "malfunction speed" your aim will go haywire thus preventing you from making fast,consistent turns or moving the cursor quickly to use a spell in rpg's. This is more concerning if you have a low sensitivity.

This is what differentiates cheap sensors from high end ones the most.

That is what the enotus mouse tester program shows at m/s velocity.

Sensor acceleration nowadays is high thus it shouldn't concern you.

When buying a mouse, you should consider it as it is quickly becoming the benchmark of sensor performance.

Hope i covered all your inquiries :)

Not at all really just get a good mouse with a decent sensor that had what you need and it'll do what you ask of it.

i buy a high performance mouse every time i need to buy a new one, not all the time it's a "gamer" mouse, but i usually turn the respons a bit down because they are to fast.

but if you need the speed just buy any serious performance mouse and just set it to the speed you actually need. You don't have to pay so much attention to those numbers if you ask me,

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

but if you need the speed just buy any serious performance mouse and just set it to the speed you actually need. You don't have to pay so much attention to those numbers if you ask me,

he does not refer to sensitivity you're calling speed, he is referring to the max tracking speed or malfunction speed

he does not refer to sensitivity you're calling speed, he is referring to the max tracking speed or malfunction speed

my bad , but any permance mouse will probarly not disappoint :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

@BenD @ihaveapc @TheProfosist Thanks very much guys, you completely answered my question. I actually have another question that maybe you can answer :D

I have read in a few places that you should always set the native dpi of a mouse "because it will work better". And if we speak of competitive, every bit helps. However, i cannot find in what WAY it will run better. Does this mean changing dpi will give higher latency than rated or simply decrease the malfunctioning speed? I think there is a difference because if i never reach the malfunctioning speed, then Im ok with it decreasing, however other effects could be an annoyance. I know this is getting into detailed specifics and thanks for your help again!

Just disable acceleration in windows and leave the cursor speed in the middle then choose the DPI your most comfortable gaming with.

Native dpi is the dpi the sensor can output without the help of an mcu thus eliminating most of the other interpolated dpi's latency. Interpolated dpi steps are also not true dpi outputs,they are emulated. In almost every case it will give the highest malfunction speed.

An example is the g400 which sports the avago 3090 sensor.

This sensor has a native dpi of 800 and 3600,the rest are interpolated.

At 800 dpi the g400 has the highest malfunction speed and the best responsiveness.

Thankfully the latest sensors such as the 3310 and 3366 have a lot of native dpi steps ( the 3310 has native dpi's in increments of 50 and the 3366 is advertised having all of it's dpi steps native)

Native dpi is the dpi the sensor can output without the help of an mcu thus eliminating most of the other interpolated dpi's latency. Interpolated dpi steps are also not true dpi outputs,they are emulated. In almost every case it will give the highest malfunction speed.

An example is the g400 which sports the avago 3090 sensor.

This sensor has a native dpi of 800 and 3600,the rest are interpolated.

At 800 dpi the g400 has the highest malfunction speed and the best responsiveness.

Thankfully the latest sensors such as the 3310 and 3366 have a lot of native dpi steps ( the 3310 has native dpi's in increments of 50 and the 3366 is advertised having all of it's dpi steps native)

You sure their native and not just not just interpolated with no rounding?