New Apartment Networking Setup Help

Gnator

Hey Guys!

Need some help setting up my home network. I have ethernet from my provider going into a un-managed switch which connects to all my wall ethernet ports around the apartment. We have a router connected to one of these ports and my friend and my computer are also connected through those wall ethernet ports. So all our computers and router are at the same level/ not in the same LAN?

1. Now we are planning on getting a NAS/streaming server and I guess in theory we can be out of the LAN and still be able to access the server but would it be easier to set up if we are all in the same LAN?

2. Wifi sucks here because the 2.4ghz spectrum is soo saturated here. We want to get a router with 5ghz in the living room. So the question is should we switch out our current switch and shove the old 2.4ghz router in there and have a 5ghz router out. This way we will all be under the same LAN but might be more expensive. Or second option is have other routers connected via the wall ethernet ports but not be in the same LAN. Is it possible that these routers work to be part of the same wifi network so we don't have to switch AP when I go from room to room?

Not sure what is the best option. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If I'm understanding your layout correctly, you have the following:  

ISP -> Switch -> Computer

-> Computer

-> Router

where the two computers and router are coming off the switch.  If that is the case, your setup is wrong unless you are using your router in AP mode.  Your ISP should connect to your router which should connect to the switch which will connect to all the computers.  So for example, my setup is ISP (cable modem) connects to my Asus RT-AC66U which connects to a Juniper EX2200 switch which connects to all my devices. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL