Positive case pressure vs negative case pressure

Sauber-C10

I know that there is a difference but is the temperature difference really all that much (in a full tower) when comparing positive pressure to negative pressure?

I am not sure about the temperature difference, as it may be negligible, but I know positive pressure is meant to be good to keep dust out of your system. 

I posted this a little while ago, I was told that the temperature difference is minimal, and if you have positive pressure less dust should collect in your case.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I know that there is a difference but is the temperature difference really all that much (in a full tower) when comparing positive pressure to negative pressure?

There are a lot of variables, let us know what your proposed setup will be and we will have a better idea of how to answer your question.

way more important than pressure is airflow! If you have 3 fan all blowing in and not really a way for the air to get out your case will get hotter than it needs to be. the other way around is the same. Air needs to move if you want something to get cooling!

Negative is a fail. You'll be cleaning your pc out all the time with negative pressure.

It can be thought of as simple maths. The amount of air you push in to the case must also escape the case. Then think of the fans, you'll have intake fans and exhaust fans. If the amount of air your intake fans push in is greater than the amount of air your exhaust fans push out, that excess air must escape in some other way, that'll likely happen out small gaps and holes etc. This is positive pressure. If you turn the situation around, and you try to draw more air out of the case than you try to push in, the excess air you draw out must come in somehow, and that too will likely be trough small holes and gaps. This is negative pressure. As long as the airflow is the same in both cases, i would assume that there's negligible temperature differences. The downside with negative pressure is that you wont have dust filters all the places where air will get in to your case, hence dust will get into your case. This is also true for positive pressure if you don't have any dust filters at all.

simple terms:

eat (intake) 5-pounds of strawberries and crap (exhaust) 3-pounds means you have positive 2-pounds left (positive pressure)

eat (intake) 5-pounds of strawberries and crap (exhaust) 5-pounds means you have neutral 0-pounds (neutral pressure)

eat (intake) 5-pounds of strawberries and crap (exhaust) 8-pounds means you have negative 3-pounds (negative pressure)

in PC we like a slight positive pressure (assuming your intake air is filtered) to control amounts

of dust collection is a PC case. any openings of a PC case will allow excess pressure out.

on the reverse, a negative pressure any opening in the case can serve as an unfiltered intake

and allow dust accumulation inside the case. dust can cause mean things to electrical components.

airdeano