Surface Pro 3: good enough?

xox

Hi there

Basically, I need something to help me with the amount of paper that I go through. At the moment, I have piles upon piles upon piles of unsorted notes which haven't been glanced upon since they were written. This is a somewhat hefty predicament because I feel like it would be best if i could actually read over the notes that i have made in lessons/lectures/tutorials. Fortunately, I have heard of the Surface Pro 3, which comes with a special touchscreen and Stylus, for all of my note taking needs.

This is great and all; I could really use one. The problem with it is, however, is that it is a little pricey. Of course, the one that I'd generally go for as a tech enthusiast is the 128GB i5 model, the mid-ranged sweet spot, the one with enough juice to last through the 4 years that I want it to last for. The price of this model after a generous student discount is £764, which is actually more than my gaming PC is worth, so seemingly, that would be a little too much. Forseeably, I could afford this version and I probably would like it, but I would much rather spend the £575 that the i3 version costs. That would mean that there would be £200 more for me to spend on the important things (like getting bevistated).

Storageis a small concern for me, 64GB is enough for Mac OSX, but for Windows? No Way, Hosé! Although I could buy a 64GB Micro SD card to store shizzle on, is it really worth it? Should I simply commence with buying a 128GB one?

Also, I was wondering whether the i3 one would provide enough power for myself. I am only realistically going to be doing web browsing, watching movies and making notes on it, so it doesn't need to be anything special. I suppose the question really here is: Does anyone have experiences with these processors?

What would you recommend I do then? risk it for a biscuit with the i3 one, or play it safe with the i5 one?

Thanks

Compatible with Windows 95

I have the i5 128Gb with 4Gb of ram. It's a decent device but I have had some issues with it in the two weeks of ownership. Just incase 128Gb wasn't enough (which for me it is), I bought a 64Gb card for it. Pretty much the way Linus feels about it in his video, are some of my complaints after using it.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

The 11" MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM is only £780 and I think you will enjoy it much more.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I say go for it. :P

Go for a 2 in one, or a Macbook. Im not really a fan of the surface lineup, even after the 3 dropped. 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

As you already have a primary computer to perform processor intensive tasks on, and store archives of notes, the surface pro 3 is an excellent choice for a side note taking device. I agree that it is pricey notepad, but I have the i5 version, and it has served me well so far. I have had no experience with the core i3 version but theoretically that battery life should be better. Consider these synthetic benchmark scores: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4020Y+%40+1.50GHz&id=2128http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4300U+%40+1.90GHz. I personally think that the core i3 would be enough for your note-taking, movie watching, and browsing, as well as provide possibly more battery life for those late night cramming sessions, all at a lower price leaving you extra cash to purchase a type cover. :)

The 11" MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM is only £780 and I think you will enjoy it much more.

Yeah, I've had a peruse of the Apple store, I like the MacBook Air, but I have a few problems with it:

• No touchscreen
  • It just looks too tiny, like a netbook
  • I find OSX unintuitive

Compatible with Windows 95

I like the Surface line.

VERY much, it's so insanely good for work and multitasking, also entertainment.

I recommend it very much, look at my Surface 2 thread in the mobile device subforum, I am still amazed, and I have an RT, not even a Pro.

Yeah, I've had a peruse of the Apple store, I like the MacBook Air, but I have a few problems with it:

• No touchscreen
  • It just looks too tiny, like a netbook
  • I find OSX unintuitive

I didn't realize a touchscreen was a big deal. Nobody wanted touch screen laptops before Windows 8. Strange thing, that.

The screen is only 1" smaller than on the Surface, and you get a really good full sized keyboard too.

You may find OS X unintuitive now, (though I'd like to hear some examples of how it's worse than Windows ;)) but I literally (as in true literally) have not met a single person who did not like OS X more after using a Mac for a few months. Even my friend was a hardcore Windows fan/laptop user, I suggested he get the 13" Air and he called me the day after he bought it to say I was "sooooooo right!"

My point is, (and this has been echoed by Linus and other tech reviewers) the Surface Pro 3 is still awkwardly in between a tablet and laptop, and unfortunately as a result it's incredibly difficult to use on your lap, and to do so you have to pay even more money for a type cover or touch cover. I mean really Microsoft, can it really replace my laptop if it doesn't come with a keyboard?!?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

im typing this with my surface pro (gen 1) sitting on my lap.

I like the device(s) - its beautifully built and has great functionality (keyboard, touchscreen, really nice ips screen, stylus) but there are also some quirks that are difficult to ignore.

1. its a bit awkward to use. the kickstand is cool but not stable enough on the lap because all the weight is on the screen rather than the keyboard

2. the battery life is poor (compared to other notebooks and the macbook)

3. tackpad is too small

4. the screen has a weird scaling which causes unsupported apps to be blurry

Overall, i wouldn't really recommend it for a friend nor would i buy another (i actually got this current one on sale).

My next laptop will probably be a macbook because of the build quality(trackpad) and battery life.

I didn't realize a touchscreen was a big deal. Nobody wanted touch screen laptops before Windows 8. Strange thing, that.

for all the hate it gets for being a touchscreen optimized, people actually warmed up to it

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

for all the hate it gets for being a touchscreen optimized, people actually warmed up to it

I didn't. Probably never will. I'm a stickler for consistency though.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

im typing this with my surface pro (gen 1) sitting on my lap.

I like the device(s) - its beautifully built and has great functionality (keyboard, touchscreen, really nice ips screen, stylus) but there are also some quirks that are difficult to ignore.

1. its a bit awkward to use. the kickstand is cool but not stable enough on the lap because all the weight is on the screen rather than the keyboard

2. the battery life is poor (compared to other notebooks and the macbook)

3. tackpad is too small

4. the screen has a weird scaling which causes unsupported apps to be blurry

Overall, i wouldn't really recommend it for a friend nor would i buy another (i actually got this current one on sale).

My next laptop will probably be a macbook because of the build quality(trackpad) and battery life.

You are comparing the first surface to the third one?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

You are comparing the first surface to the third one?

well these issues are general issues with the surface devices. Even with the improvements in the Surface 3 it still has some of the same downfalls as the first.

• the fact that the screen is heavier than the keyboard makes it a little awkward to use on the lap
  • battery life is still inferior to other devices (which is unfair because its a hybrid but still)
  • trackpad on the type cover is still small and not the easiest to use
  • the screen again has a strange scaling and makes programs that are unsupported blurry or very small

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)