Computer restarts ramdomly

Gal.Am

Hi guys.

So a few days ago my pc started to restart itself for no apparent reason; Sometimes while gaming and sometimes just web browsing or even when idle.

I'm thinking it may be the PSU. It's a Seasonic 660w .

Would really appreciate any help with the subject and if it is the problem, can you recommend an alternative psu?

Thanks in Advance.

many reasons for random restarts

use HWMonitor and GPUZ-ID to check CPU and GPU temps

Do a MemTest for RAM

if you are running any OC, reset all the clocks back to stock

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

happend to me and i found that my cpu power cable was loose

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

it's got a H100 cooling it and as near as I can tell it's around 40c , after gaming it's about 45c

it's got a H100 cooling it and as near as I can tell it's around 40c , after gaming it's about 45c

Use the quote button to repond please.

I should be studying.

can you post a screenshot of the HWMonitor temps reading?

I can only point to buggy RAM

can you give us a full spec of your PC?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

can you post a screenshot of the HWMonitor temps reading?

I can only point to buggy RAM

can you give us a full spec of your PC?

A sceenshot of the CPU tab?

also, the specs are:

MB: Gigabyte z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: Intel core I5 2500k @4.4

CPU cooler: Corsair H100

RAM: Corsair Venegeance Blue LP Edition 2X4

GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightining

PhysX GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 

PSU: Seasonic 660w.

I believe that's all of it.

also, the specs are:

like a normal printscreen of the HWMonitor program temps page

once you check the RAM for errors

revert your CPU clock back to stock

and I noticed another GPU in your system

can you remove that GPU?

also, the specs are:

There is really no need for a physX GPU, unless you want those features. 

I had this problem too....and its really frustrating because it can be anything. Unfortunately, its very hard to diagnose if there is a problem with the PSU. For the most part, you want to suspect your PSU last. You have to start with process of elimination. Is this problem happening daily, or is it happening once or twice a week? For me the problem happened only once a week and I had to do process of elimination. 

First, I removed the stock cooler, cleaned the dust off my case and bought an aftermarket cooler. Unfortunately that didnt fix the problem since my computer wasnt overheating anyway.

Second, I removed my graphic card for a few days and only used my integrated graphics. It wasnt my card.

Third: I ran Memtest on my ram for 5 hours. That wasnt the problem either. 

Fourth: I reinstalled the OS. For me, this fixed the problem. My computer hasnt restarted in weeks.

If you remember the last time your pc restarted, press start and search for EVENT VIEWER. Under Administrative Events, search for a Critical error thats called  KERNEL POWER and search to see if there is an error bug along with the shutdown. Something like a corrupted update could be causing the shut down. 

I had this problem too....and its really frustrating because it can be anything. Unfortunately, its very hard to diagnose if there is a problem with the PSU. For the most part, you want to suspect your PSU last. You have to start with process of elimination. Is this problem happening daily, or is it happening once or twice a week? For me the problem happened only once a week and I had to do process of elimination. 

First, I removed the stock cooler, cleaned the dust off my case and bought an aftermarket cooler. Unfortunately that didnt fix the problem since my computer wasnt overheating anyway.

Second, I removed my graphic card for a few days and only used my integrated graphics. It wasnt my card.

Third: I ran Memtest on my ram for 5 hours. That wasnt the problem either. 

Fourth: I reinstalled the OS. For me, this fixed the problem. My computer hasnt restarted in weeks.

If you remember the last time your pc restarted, press start and search for EVENT VIEWER. Under Administrative Events, search for a Critical error thats called  KERNEL POWER and search to see if there is an error bug along with the shutdown. Something like a corrupted update could be causing the shut down. 

It just restarted a minute ago. The CPU cooler is almost dust free, cleaned it a week ago.

Checked the event view but there wasn't anything under Critical error.

i'm guessing this means the PSU is fine?

It just restarted a minute ago. The CPU cooler is almost dust free, cleaned it a week ago.

Checked the event view but there wasn't anything under Critical error.

i'm guessing this means the PSU is fine?

No, I just want you to suspect your PSU last. Its unlikely the psu is giving you problems. It could be something else but you need to exhaust your options first. Sometimes when the power goes out in your house the computer will report a power loss under the event viewer. That error doesnt necessarily mean the PSU is broken. Do the above steps I mentioned, if you have integrated graphics, take out your graphic card and use your computer for a few days. If the problem doesnt happen again, then its your card more than likely. I know this seems like a hassle, but the sooner you start, the sooner you can figure out your problem.

You can also run memtest for a few hours. Make sure you get a 100% pass on memtest every time...

Ran MemTest for about 10 hours with no errors, disconnected GPUs and it still happened. Probably gonna re-install my OS.

Ran MemTest for about 10 hours with no errors, disconnected GPUs and it still happened. Probably gonna re-install my OS.

Yep. Im glad you took my advice to diagnose the problem. A lot of people are lazy and dont want to take the proper steps to figuring their problem out. Reinstalling the OS is another big step. If that doesnt work, we can start suspecting other things. 

A pretty big update today: Been playing and browsing all day with no spontaneous restarts. I'm suspecting my PC heard that I'm gonna re-install the OS so he got scared  :P

I'll wait a few more days to see if it happens again.