H100i Installation

I'm REALLY frustrated right now. I try to install the backplate to the motherboard and install the standoff screws after them, but they don't tighten down the backplate properly. It still wiggles around because they won't tighten down all the way. What do I do? I tried some washer method that didn't work. I really don't want to send anything back, I've waited way too long. PLEASE HELP.

H100i

Maximus VII Hero

i7 4790K

750D

Are you using the correct backplate? You need to use the 1155 or 1150 Intel CPU backplate. Use needle nose pliers or a wrench to tighten the standoffs.

What you said about thermal paste makes 0 sense.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you using the correct backplate? You need to use the 1155 or 1150 Intel CPU backplate. Use needle nose pliers or a wrench to tighten the standoffs.

What you said about thermal paste makes 0 sense.

I've been trying to put the block on the CPU but it doesn't go on properly so the thermal paste is coming off of it.

I've been trying to put the block on the CPU but it doesn't go on properly so the thermal paste is coming off of it.

Don't use the stock thermal paste. Get something better like MX4.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Don't use the stock thermal paste. Get something better like MX4.

That's not what this is about. Don't tell me anything about thermal paste.

I'm REALLY frustrated right now. I try to install the backplate to the motherboard and install the standoff screws after them, but they don't tighten down the backplate properly. It still wiggles around because they won't tighten down all the way. What do I do? I tried some washer method that didn't work. I really don't want to send anything back, I've waited way too long. PLEASE HELP.

H100i

Maximus VII Hero

i7 4790K

750D

That's normal, after you install the waterblock there will be no play in the backplate. I was curious about it too when I installed mine, done some research then just finished the install and it was secure. Just install everything the way it is suppose, let it wiggle. Put the waterblock on and secure it down then nothing will move.

Edit- If you have thermal paste coming out from around the cpu you have put way too much and most likely would kill your cpu from overheating. Too much thermal paste acts as an insulator.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

That's not what this is about. Don't tell me anything about thermal paste.

If you got thermal paste on your CPU before you mounted the block to it you will need to clean it and reapply new paste unless you want your CPU to overheat.

Spoiler

That's normal, after you install the waterblock there will be no play in the backplate. I was curious about it too when I installed mine, done some research then just finished the install and it was secure. Just install everything the way it is suppose, let it wiggle. Put the waterblock on and secure it down then nothing will move.

Edit- If you have thermal paste coming out from around the cpu you have put way too much and most likely would kill your cpu from overheating. Too much thermal paste acts as an insulator.

If you got thermal paste on your CPU before you mounted the block to it you will need to clean it and reapply new paste unless you want your CPU to overheat.

He said no! lol

The other thing, if its like the h110... the stand offs need to go into a specific hole for your chipset... its on the back of the mounting plate and reaally tiny text

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

He said no! lol

The other thing, if its like the h110... the stand offs need to go into a specific hole for your chipset... its on the back of the mounting plate and reaally tiny text

Ah yes I completely forgot about that :P The back plate does have separate slots depending on your chipset, but for the h100i they aren't labeled on the backplate. You have to refer to the manual to know which slot of the three goes to which chipsets. Was really annoying through trial and error when I installed mine. Corsair doesn't exactly have the best manual either, it was pretty much useless.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Ah yes I completely forgot about that :P The back plate does have separate slots depending on your chipset, but for the h100i they aren't labeled on the backplate. You have to refer to the manual to know which slot of the three goes to which chipsets. Was really annoying through trial and error when I installed mine. Corsair doesn't exactly have the best manual either, it was pretty much useless.

Trying to find an installation vid was how I found LTT, but it was on Corsairs channel.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Please don't tell me that, I don't want to have to do it all over again. :(